Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

EITHER PRICE GRABBER OR CLOSEOUT VIDEO SUCKS...YOU DECIDE!!! (WARNING THIS IS LONG)

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

EITHER PRICE GRABBER OR CLOSEOUT VIDEO SUCKS...YOU DECIDE!!! (WARNING THIS IS LONG)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-01, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know if anyone has used Price grabber yet (www.pricegrabber.com), but if you haven't already...Don't bother!!!! A few days ago I thought I found the true bargain of the century. Let me first explain (in a nutshell) what price grabber is. You pick products (mostly electronics and toys) you are looking for and add them to your "wish list". Then you put in a targeted price you wish to pay for an item. Once a targeted price is reached or beat by one of their particpating retailers, you are e-mailed staing so and so has what you were looking for below your targeted price. SOUNDS GREAT..right??? W-R-O-N-G!!!!
I was e-mailed the other morning that Closeout Video had the X-Files season 1 and 2 boxed sets for 34.99 each!!! HOLY %&*#...that's great right!!!!!! Well it would be if it were in stock...or even if you could order it and wait for it to come in. Well it was not in stock...and they would not let you order it because it was used (which was not stated in my Price Grabber e-mail...only, once you went to the site they were listed as used. Anyway..this is not the first time this has happened. The first time, Price Grabber listed The Rocky Horror Picture Show DVD and Independence Day: Special Edition for 3.99 each. I was happy until I went to the site (Closeout Video once more) to find that it was a pricing error. They would not honor it either. Below is my correspondence to Closeout Video on the "X-Files" matter. Tell me what you think. Maybe its just me, but you be he judge:

MY FIRST E-MAIL:

Dear Closeout Video,

This morning I woke up to check my e-mail...only to find that my Pricegrabber prices have been met on X-files seasons 1 and 2 DVD boxed sets at Closeout video.com.

I immediately go to the site, order both only to see they are not available! How can this be?????? How can something be advertised and not available??? This is the second time something happened to me with Closeout video. This time I have had it. I expect that you will make good on this price. I am tired of you advertising prices that are not real. This is known as "bait and switch".

I would not want to give Closeout Video a bad name on the DVD forums. With all the companies that don't make it on the internet today, it is very easy to ruin a company's name when a few people have had bad experiences with them. The last time this happened, I got an e-mail saying "sorry for the mistake...it will be removed immediately." One mistake is understandable. I can not deal with a second mistake...especially since I have been looking for these items.

Please let me know if you will make good on these prices.

Here is the proof of the listing:
Product Tracker
1 X-Files Season 2 Gift Pack (1994-1995) - DVD
20th Century Fox Home Entertainment *$34.99
2 Independence Day (1996) - DVD
20th Century Fox Home Entertainment *$12.99
3 X-Files Season 1 Gift Pack (1993-1994) - DVD
20th Century Fox Home Entertainment *$34.99

PriceGrabber.com - The Smart Place to Start Your Shopping

* The "Current Price" reflects the lowest posted selling price at the time this email was sent.

THEIR RESPONSE:

Dear ****,

I am not sure exactly what you mean. When you click on the items below, It does show that they are not in stock without having to go to the website. I do not want you to be unhappy, however I do not see that they are showing in stock below but out of stock on the website. Please do give me more information.

Gina L. Kugler
Director of Customer Service
1610 N. Myrtle Avenue
Clearwater, FL 33755

MY RESPONSE TO THEIR RESPONSE:

my question is...how come as soon as I get the e-mail that Closeout Video has the DVDs...they are out of stock????? That is like me getting a sales flyer for a store advertising a television on sale for $120 and going to the store first thing the morning of the day of the sale and finding the television out-of-stock!!! What good is it to be told the items are at my targeted price when I can't get them???????????????????? Do you understand what I am saying?

Will you honor the target price on the merchandise. meaning...I want a raincheck or the same price for the "new" items (X-files seasons 1 and 2 at ($34.99 each). If you do not honor at least a "rain check", I have no choice but to be "unhappy", for as a bussiness, you should not have something listed for a price when you don't offer it for that price!!!! (Once again...this is known as bait and switch!!!!...illegal in the retail business) On Price Grabber it said nothing about the items being in "used" condition or not being able to order it and get it when it comes back in stock. It says "X-Files Seasons 1 and 2 - 34.99...period...no "used"!
BOTTOM LINE: Closeout Video is WRONG. IF THE COMPANY DOES NOT HONOR THESE PRICES...I WILL POST THIS CASE ON "DVD TALK" AS WELL AS "PLANET FEEDBACK" AND REGISTER MY COMPLAINT WITH PRICE GRABBER (AS WELL AS OTHER DVD BBS). I AM ONLY LOOKING FOR YOU TO BE FAIR. THERE WILL BE NOT THIRD E-MAIL. THIS IS YOUR LAST CHANCE TO MAKE THIS RIGHT.

SINCERELY,

THEIR FINAL RESPONSE:

Dear ****,

I think we are missing each other here as I seem to be making you more upset when I don't mean to.

Price Grabber lists the prices they can find on the net for the items you entered to search. They do not make any guarantee that the items are in stock.
On their site, the items are shown specifically whether there is stock in it or not as there is always the possibility they are not--this is for any seller and any website. I think the issue here is that you are upset that PriceGrabber displays prices for items whether they are in stock or not.

If the item comes back in again, PriceGrabber will mark it as in stock and our price will be displayed along with anyone else selling the same item. We do not offer rain checks, I am sorry. If the item does come back in stock again, we will still have the lowest price available for it.

Gina L. Kugler
Director of Customer Service
1610 N. Myrtle Avenue
Clearwater, FL 33755

Old 02-01-01, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At the risk of sounding rude, you're totally off base. Close Out Video is not to blame, and I can see why you got the respones from them that you did.

Price Grabber is the one that sucks, they are the ones responsible for the email and reporting false information. You should be directing your frustration at them. Closeout Video may or may not suck, but they are definitely not responsible for Price Grabber's emails. They have no control what Price Grabber sends out, and should not be held to the info in the emails, Price Grabber should.

Price Grabber could send out an email stating I'm selling off my entire DVD collection for $1 a disk, but that does not mean I am, or that I am now responsible to sell my collection at all. Price Grabber is the one claiming invalid info, not Closeout Video.

------------------
Visit the Not So Comprehensive Asian DVD/VCD Buying Guide!
www.geocities.com/vcd_guide/
Old 02-01-01, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I only ever use Pricegrabber for price comparisons, nothing else.

------------------
Regards...
#Other TEAM 7 Member
Drinker of much Pepsi, trainer of Dingo's and Jack's Aussie Moonshine importer...
John 3:16
Old 02-01-01, 09:57 PM

How do you get a company to concede? You don't yell at them. You tell them how your appreciate their service, but are frustrated. You will get better results 99% of the time.
Old 02-02-01, 06:34 AM

Thanks for the input...yeah...everyone is right...it is Price Grabber, not Closeout Video. One thing though...If a company really does try to screw you out of something, I found out being nice doesn't help usually. All you get is a "thank you for your patronage, sorry for the mix-up" e-mail. From experience, I have realized that being forceful is the only way to get anywhere. Companies won't care if they've done you wrong until you threated to post that they were unfair and have horrible customer service. Anyway, thanks for bringing me to reality. (It still pisses me off though...I hate Price Grabber now).

Old 02-02-01, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by stupidheadmike:
One thing though...If a company really does try to screw you out of something, I found out being nice doesn't help usually.
<HR>

Put yourself in their shoes. If someone is yelling and being rude to you are you going to be more willing to help them? I had a problem with Closeoutvideo as many others have also and Gina was extremely helpful and credited my account for shipping charges. I don't understand how they run their business but I don't think being rude would have helped out my situation!

Old 02-02-01, 04:20 PM

Was just frustrated...I do alot of online shopping and have realized that there are very few companies that are willing to help.

Old 02-02-01, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It is very difficult to run a Price Grabber type site. I can't even tell you how many problems we run into with our price search - and there are only 5,400 adult DVD titles out there. Here's one example - there was a store that would deactivate titles when they were not in stock. Well, our price search didn't know so it would list those titles. People would click on it and not be able to order the title.

Thankfully we deal with a handful of very cooperative stores - who don't have egos like many mainstream stores.

Price Grabber is providing a very useful service. No price search type site claims 100% accuracy - because they just can't. Doesn't mean they are out to get you.

-Steph
Adult DVD Talk