Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

The last straw...Netflix price hike!

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

The last straw...Netflix price hike!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-01, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You guys should try your local library. You might be pleasantly surprised. I live in Cincinnati and the library branch closest to me has almost 100 DVDs. Almost all of these are recent. I've "rented" Gladiator, Magnolia, U571, Perfect Storm from them in the last few weeks/months. Sweet deal.
Old 02-02-01, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm quitting netflick 2 days before my next monthly payment so that I can get my monies worth from the $20+ that I've paid for this month. I'm definitely cancelling the credit card associated with them. For this simple reason. They want all items returned with 7 days. But in the meantime I more or less will have 1 DVD if I'm lucky in route to my door and possibly have another 1 or 2 DVD's in route to them. The latest 2 DVD's have taken 12 and 14 days for them to be shipped, at my door, watched that night, and shipped back. I don't see how I can make their 7 day window with their slow service. Also I personally feel that they are unethically holding up returns. How do I know this I had a return receipt on a DVD. I can understand lack of stock. Due to poor forecasting and a bigger customer base. But the returns I can't fathom and if there going to take forever to check in a title I can personally see them charging my account due to not meeting their window. Oh and by the way I will ship back all DVD's so that the current base of customers can receive the titles. One thing I did notice with them. If you go to amazons site see the upcoming releases or their site. Put them in your queue at the top the day they are available to preorder and if you less than 4 DVDs in the queue most of the time that new release which is out Tuesday will be marked to be shipped to you. The top of my queu is all new releases in date to be released order. This is how I got what lies beneath this week. Used this method effectively. However if I had 4 DVD's out I would never have gotten What lies beneath. I also used entertainment weeklys top 20 releases to pick an item that I wasn't aware of that most renters rented and put those titles in my queue as well. Putting them in my queue after they released are the items that take forever to ship. Due to the high demand of them. I use to love netflick the first 2 months or so but I'm a huge new release freak and they can't keep up with my need to see asap. I wish the current customer base the best and netflick the best. I'm riding out my last 2 weeks.
Old 02-02-01, 11:12 AM

What's that? Do you hear that noise? It's the sound of NetFlix biting the bullet!
Old 02-02-01, 11:27 AM
omi

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Smeg:

What are the other online renters?

<HR>

Heres one:

http://www.rentmydvd.com

Don't know if they are good though.

[This message has been edited by omi (edited February 02, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by omi (edited February 02, 2001).]
Old 02-02-01, 01:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the advice and words of wisdom I just went through and cleaned out my queue in preparation for dumping them when I get the email
Old 02-02-01, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by nemein:
Thanks for the advice and words of wisdom I just went through and cleaned out my queue in preparation for dumping them when I get the email
<HR>

Clearing your queue was an excellent idea if you want to dump them immediately. I'm trying to get my value for the month out of them. But your method is a sound one. More sound than mine.
Old 02-02-01, 02:45 PM
Registered

http://www.dvdovernight.com has been a supporter of DVD Talk from Day 1 and they have NO MEMBERSHIP FEES!

Geoff
Old 02-02-01, 03:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by sm8680:
Clearing your queue was an excellent idea if you want to dump them immediately. I'm trying to get my value for the month out of them. But your method is a sound one. More sound than mine.
<HR>

Actually I just had 3 shipped to me so by the time they get to me I watch them and they are processed back in the month will be over
Old 02-02-01, 05:14 PM

UPDATE!

Netflix just sent me an e-mail giving me 1 additional week to have all DVD's in before they charge me for them. How ironic - the first time customer service actually listens to my complaint is when I cancel.

------------------
Steve Doyon
Charlotte, NC
Steve's DVD Collection