Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Amazon $10 codes being stolen?

Old 01-23-01, 06:54 AM

I just received an email from Amazon "reminding" me that I still had a $10 off DVD or CD code to use.. but I never received the snail mail card from them. I logged on to use the code, and it had already been used (not by me).

I wonder whether Amazon realizes that these things are "as good as cash" to those of us who use them. Wouldn't be hard for an unscrupulous postal worker to snag these codes. They should probably be an email only promo, or tied into a specific email address.

I've emailed them about this, but I wondered whether anyone else had encountered this at all?
Old 01-23-01, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

--------------->
----Moving---> On Line Store forum
--------------->
Old 01-23-01, 09:09 AM

I recently had trouble with a few of my Amazon GC's being redeemed by someone else. I had a group of 11 of them ($10 each) which I got from my Amazon NextCard VISA dating back to last October. When I tried to redeem them, only 4 worked! I called up Amazon, and they replaced them, but I ended up getting 3 $20 promos, and a $10 promo They said that they are only able to re-issue promos, and if I wanted to use all $70 on one order, I would have to phone it in. What a pain From now on, I am going to add any GC's I get from Amazon to my account right away.
Old 01-23-01, 10:14 AM

I too just got the "reminder email" from Amazon...fortunately my code had not been used yet and I put it in my cart immediately. I think Amazon should be a little more careful with how they handle codes...such as putting them in a sealed mailer.
Old 01-23-01, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

gotta love your local mail handlers!

i usually get mine a week or more after people start posting here.

maybe they should just e-mail the damn things with an e-mail flyer.
Old 01-23-01, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

These email reminders mention nothing of the $35 minimum, but must you still spend $35? Thanks.
Old 01-23-01, 02:44 PM

I have not received the two most recent mailers from Amazon, but I did get the email reminders. The coupon codes had not been used, so I guess that the mailers were just lost, and not stolen.
Old 01-23-01, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

quote:
Originally posted by Vash:
These email reminders mention nothing of the $35 minimum, but must you still spend $35? Thanks.

It appearsther are 2 versions out 10 off 10 adn 10 off 35 the snail mail will specify which you recieved and the email may not. there is a thread in the bargin forum saying if you call and complain you may get an additional GC for your pain and suffering
Old 01-23-01, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I too have had a couple that have been used by someone else.

------------------
Regards...
#Other TEAM 7 Member
Drinker of much Pepsi, trainer of Dingo's and Jack's Aussie Moonshine importer...
John 3:16
Old 01-23-01, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:
Originally posted by jpcamb:
Originally posted by Vash:

It appearsther are 2 versions out 10 off 10 adn 10 off 35 the snail mail will specify which you recieved and the email may not. there is a thread in the bargin forum saying if you call and complain you may get an additional GC for your pain and suffering
Absolutely true. I recieved on $10 off (no minimum) and one $10 off $35 minimum.
Old 01-24-01, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

While I would say that 999 times out of 1000, letter carriers and other postal workers would be way too busy to be fooling around writing down someone's Amazon code and risk losing their job over it, it is a bad idea indeed for Amazon to not put the codes on the inside. Amazon codes are like gold to some people.

By the way, if you're recently moved, these flyers are not forwardable, so you won't get them, although you should still get the email unless that address has changed too.