Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

screwed over by Columbia House?

Old 12-23-00, 07:26 AM

I just wanted to share my story w/ CH and see if anybody else has had similar problems.

During the summer there was that whole long thread about all the various CH deals. . I took advantage of one, but can't remember which one. All I know is that I was supposed to get 5 DVD for $26 and then have only one more commitment.

Back in July, I ordered my 5 DVDs, many of which were Criterions and that was cool. CH charged my credit card immediately and I waited for my DVDs. Then about a week later I lost my wallet and had to cancel my credit card. I figured, hey, they already got their money, so its ok. About a month later, I still didn't have my DVDs and I was moving apartments (same complex though). I thought that maybe the DVDs were taking some time to be forwarded from my old address. About a month later, I called CS asking where my order was, and they said that it must have gotten lost in shipping. The rep then said that if the order was returned, they'd ship it out again but if it wasn't, then they'd credit my cc and allow me to pick my selection over again. I said fine, but explained my situation w/ my cancelled cc, so I gave her my new cc for that one to be credited and made sure they had my new address. She assured me everything was going to be fine (this was Oct). I started recieving all their crap in the mail, so I knew they had my address right, and I got my DVDs a few weeks later. However, there were only 3, not 5 like I should have gotten. The invoice said that the other 2 were "unavailable". Uh, yeah right. . .Armageddon and Space Balls weren't unavailable at all. Anyway, I call back CS to complain and was told that I'd eventually be able to get my 2 other DVDs, but that I'd have to pay my balance. I'm like, "what balance?" I paid everything back in July.

Ugh, so apparently they credited my cancelled cc 3 mos after I cancelled it! Ok, but how do you credit a non existant card? They now say that I owe them another $26 which I refuse to pay. I can send them back the DVDs, but that's not gonna happen. CS told me that they were sure that my card was credited 10/19, but no where does it appear in my statements. . oh yeah, they credited a non existant account! So I waltz over to the bank and have them check the history of the cancelled card, and they say that no transactions have occured since I cancelled the card. Ok, so the credit was never made. I have spoken to many CH reps and was told each time that they needed to speak w/ the "accounting department" to find out the exact transaction number of the credit, so I can take that to my bank. Each time, though, I was told that I cannot talk to this mysterious department myself, that they'd need to call me back, which of course they never do.

My bank says its not their problem since the transaction never occured and CH claims they have, but keep hesitating when I ask them for proof. Until then, though, they say I'm responsible for the $26 I supposedly owe them and they have decided to take my case to a credit collections agency.

Oh, yeah, I'd dispute the charges, however while above I said "credit card" it was really a debit card, so the money was already paid and the bank is washing their hands of it.

PS--CH also sucks because they website claims they have 24hr CS, but when you call, you get a recording telling you the hours they are open. I tried creating an account online to hopefully view my billing history with them. When asked for the password, I entered a 10 character password and was given every indication that my account was created. When I try logging in, its says that passwords must be between 4-8 characters. . .if this is so why did it let me make one w/ 10? Ugh, CH sucks.
Old 12-23-00, 10:15 AM
Banned

welcome to DVDTalk, Sourdaisy. Although it's a pity your first post has to be so very negative. Sounds to me you have been surfing our site for a while and only posted your
first topic because of "difficulties" you
are having!
I just want to address one thing, the fact that you canceled your credit card does not
mean ANYTHING!!! If a merchant gives you credit on your old "canceled" credit card account, if the new credit card # is from the same financial institution, then that
credit will automatically forward to your new account.
You might want to double check your statements.
As for Columbia House, this is NOT in defense of this merchant BUT THEY ARE ONE OF THE MOST RESPECTED SOFTWARE NAMES AROUND.
Maybe in the future, you may also want to
entertain the thought of posting something
productive/useful to all members.
Merry Christmas!
Old 12-23-00, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:
Originally posted by BillumillAmerika:
As for Columbia House, this is NOT in defense of this merchant BUT THEY ARE ONE OF THE MOST RESPECTED SOFTWARE NAMES AROUND.

1. This was useful to me.
2. This is incredibly bad form for greeting a new member. You definitely have been around long enough to know better.
Old 12-23-00, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Columbia House is one of the most respected software names around?!? LOL! Maybe in the future, you may also want to
truthful to all members.

------------------
My mostly HORROR dvd collection
Old 12-23-00, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:
Originally posted by BillumillAmerika:As for Columbia House, THEY ARE ONE OF THE MOST RESPECTED SOFTWARE NAMES AROUND.

Merry Christmas!! CH SSSSUUUUUCCCCKKKKSSSS!

Old 12-23-00, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is several hours of dealing with a credit collections agency really worth $26? I understand that you'd like to get your money back because of principle, but I'm sure that if you're able to afford the luxuries of owning a DVD player that you can afford being out $26 and that it's not going to put you into bankruptcy.

I wouldn't think getting $26 back is worth the stress and sacrificing peace of mind and several hours of your time. Your mileage may vary, I suppose.

Oh, and one other thing. The two criterions that were "unavailable" actually are unavailable -- as enrollment selections. Columbia House started enforcing this a couple months ago. You can still order them to fulfill membership agreements though (although you'll get reamed on the price).

------------------
The weather is here, wish you were beautiful!
Old 12-24-00, 04:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by BillumillAmerika:
welcome to DVDTalk, Sourdaisy. Although it's a pity your first post has to be so very negative. Sounds to me you have been surfing our site for a while and only posted your
first topic because of "difficulties" you
are having!
I just want to address one thing, the fact that you canceled your credit card does not
mean ANYTHING!!! If a merchant gives you credit on your old "canceled" credit card account, if the new credit card # is from the same financial institution, then that
credit will automatically forward to your new account.
You might want to double check your statements.
Merry Christmas!

Well, since I only have one credit card, and I'm sure the credit didn't transfer to the new one (and since the bank can't find the credit either), I'm pretty sure the transaction never took place.

As for posting something productive/useful to all members, I thought this post was. At the very least, it lets other members know the difficulties I've encountered. The post may be negative, but I believe my story can help another member become a more informed buyer.

I have been visiting this site off and on for a while, yes, but I was unaware I needed to make an "informative" post before being accepted as a member. I also have been surfing here long enough to know that I'm not the only one that has had problems with CH.

Anyway, as far as the 2 unavailable criterions, thats ok. I just remember reading about other members who made those selections and received them. I was just hoping to get the same deal.

And you're right DTSC, $26 isn't going to break me. I was hoping to get a really good deal with this CH membership. $52 for 5 DVDs isn't a great bargain, but it is still better than Best Buy.

Anyway, I appreciate all the input. Thanks
Old 12-24-00, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Welcome to the forum sourdaisy!!!!!!

And have a Merry Christmas.....

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 12-25-00, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

quote:
Originally posted by sourdaisy:

As for posting something productive/useful to all members, I thought this post was. Anyway, I appreciate all the input. Thanks

I wouldn't worry too much about being productive here, Daisy. Sometimes it gets in the way.

------------------
Everything is from the past
Old 12-25-00, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sourdaisy, one final comment: Sometimes in the world of bargains you miss a few or things just don't work out. This rarely happens, but when it does, you just have to remind yourself of all the times you got a great deal.
Old 12-29-00, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Welcome to the forum!

------------------
'face down, dead on the ground, find me before another is found'....Cannibal Corpse