DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   How can they still call it "Half".com, and keep a straight face? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/66981-how-can-they-still-call-half-com-keep-straight-face.html)

clappj 12-21-00 02:45 PM

I was just browsing around at Half.com, when I cam across someone who is trying to sell a copy of Fulci's "Zombie" (which has a MSRP of $29.95 for $65.00 used. http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/confused.gif Doesn't the name now contradict itself?

Jadzia 12-21-00 03:02 PM

I was a big fan of that site when they started and I used to spend so much money there.

Now I don't even go there to browse. That "over half" thing was a huge mistake.

------------------
DIVA OF THE OTHER FORUM
Jadzia/Pikul

Fhrx 12-21-00 07:08 PM

Clappj has a good point there you know.

------------------
Regards...
Drinker of much Pepsi, trainer of Dingo's and Jack's Aussie Moonshine importer...
John 3:16

Funk 12-21-00 09:15 PM

...And Amazon isn't located on the Amazon River and Virgin doesn't sell those ... http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/wink.gif

I've never bought a DVD on Half.com but they're still an excellent site to buy and sell books.

RevLiver 12-21-00 09:29 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jadzia:
I was a big fan of that site when they started and I used to spend so much money there.

Now I don't even go there to browse. That "over half" thing was a huge mistake.
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

On the contrary, allowing any price was the smartest thing they did. I can sell collector's items there for over half price, instead of auctioning them on eBay. I can also get a better price on my CDs, Books, videos and DVDs. As a seller (who has made over $2000 this year from Half.com), I love the any price idea. When they limited you to half price, I didn't sell much there. Once they opened it up, I was able to clear out a lot of stuff I had laying around and pay off my DVD-related credit card debt.

Darin

------------------
DVDs are addictive
CDs are too

Gizmo 12-22-00 12:09 AM

Yeah, why do they still call it that? Almost everything is OVER the initial MSRP. I can see if it is OOP, but cmon.

Eric F 12-22-00 12:33 AM

It's actually good and bad: Good for sellers, bad for buyers.

Actually, for selling DVDs and other big demand, low priced items, Ebay is still cheaper, becasue of the big commision half takes. It's good for everything else though.

dvdirv 12-22-00 12:48 AM

As a buyer I can see bitterness towards Half.com's anyprice goes policy.

But as a seller, I can effectively compete with other sellers.

Anyone ever heard of Motel 6? The name came from the original price they were charging per room. Should they now call themselves Motel 39.95 (or higher?)

Jadzia 12-22-00 11:51 AM

Well, I am a buyer AND a seller there and I still think it stinks.

As a seller, you're not going to have a very big audience now that so many people don't even bother going to the Half.com site to look.

I just browsed their "in-stock" DVDs which I used to look at every single day and buy things from all the time. What a joke! 90% of the titles are selling for around $25, in most cases only 3-8% off retail. Who buys these?

You can get like 20% off at sites like Amazon and know you're buying from a (mostly) reliable e-tailer.

They used to have a great concept and shopping there was fun. Now it's just an over-priced hassle.

Just because you can set your own high price when you sell doesn't mean someone is actually going to buy it.

When I sold a bunch of stuff, DVDs used to sell within an hour.

------------------
DIVA OF THE OTHER FORUM
Jadzia/Pikul

[This message has been edited by Jadzia (edited December 22, 2000).]

Matt Parks 12-22-00 12:24 PM

Yes, this sight is disappointing, particularly as a DVD source. It's OK for some CDs and books, but I've completely given up on the DVDs. The site is difficult to search and all the DVDs are overpriced.

Red Dog 12-22-00 12:46 PM

Yeah I don't even bother going there anymore. That was their gimmick/catch - now what's the point?

Matt Parks 12-22-00 01:04 PM

I emailed them once and said I felt that their site was hard to browse. One of their CSRs emailed me back and said that "we think the site is easy to browse." So I replied to her emailed "thanking" her for arguing with my feedback, which they had asked for in the first place. New name suggestion: Half-a#*ed.com.

Eric F 12-23-00 12:23 PM

I reiterate, for the seller it's a good deal.

I just sold a few extra DVDs I had at close to retail price. You have to remember that alot of folks use coupons to order from Half, so even if you're pricing seems a bit high it's still a good deal for some folks.