Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Has anyone received erroneous credit card charges from Buy.com?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Has anyone received erroneous credit card charges from Buy.com?

Old 12-07-00, 01:53 PM

I ask this question not because of any proof that Buy.com screws up their billings; instead, I ask it because I have had so many orders and so many shipments from them that I can no longer unscramble their charges to my credit card. I perform a check for reasonableness, which doesn’t yield any smoking guns, but I am annoyed that the notoriously poor customer service at Buy.com cannot verify for what and for how much I have been charged on any specific day.

This would be no problem if they had a conventional billing system whereby the charges are listed on their shipping emails. I never have any problem tracking any other company’s charges.

I guess this is the price for being a good customer.

------------------
Do you see what a can of worms this portal is? I don't think I can go on living my life as I have lived it.
Old 12-07-00, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

they just charged me for an order that i got... more than a month and a half back.

thought i had a freeride (heh.. get it) but they eventually found their error.
Old 12-07-00, 03:11 PM

Same here (wrt just now charging for month old orders). The fact that some of the shipments that come in are "free" in the sense the coupon covers all of it doesn't really help either when trying to figure it all out Fortunately I've significantly cut back on my orders so tracking is getting a little easier.

Something I did notice though, depending upon your CC company and how much information they put for each line item. Sometimes there are reference #s on the buy.com invoice that'll match up w/ numbers on the CC bill. Once I discovered this it made it A LOT easier to figure out
Old 12-07-00, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This happened to me TODAY! They sent me an email stating "We made an error on your billing from 10/05/2000. Please expect to see the charge in the next 5-7 days."

Now, I checked my Credit Card and they sure as heck charged the full amount on my CC on the date specified. I emailed them back and told them to check that out and cancel any new billing or expect to hear from my lawyer!
Old 12-07-00, 05:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nemein:
Something I did notice though, depending upon your CC company and how much information they put for each line item. Sometimes there are reference #s on the buy.com invoice that'll match up w/ numbers on the CC bill. Once I discovered this it made it A LOT easier to figure out

Hey, thanks for the tip! I'll check it out with the credit card company. Even if it is not on the statement, it may be on a CSR's screen. I use Discover mostly, having found their customer service to be outstanding for twelve years!
Old 12-07-00, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

no, but I had one from moviegallery today...no response from them yet..
Old 12-08-00, 08:51 AM
Mod Emeritus

quote:
Originally posted by theedge:
This happened to me TODAY! They sent me an email stating "We made an error on your billing from 10/05/2000. Please expect to see the charge in the next 5-7 days."

Now, I checked my Credit Card and they sure as heck charged the full amount on my CC on the date specified. I emailed them back and told them to check that out and cancel any new billing or expect to hear from my lawyer!

Ditto here. I sent a similar response advising that the charge had been placed and payed... I also made sure my response contained enough information for them to easily verify the charge had went through. They sent a reply with the same basic information the original had contained. I again replied with the specific information about the charge. As of yet, I haven't heard back from them.

------------------
D.

Official member of the Goblincat Hate Group Watch! ;-)
Old 12-08-00, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
I also received the email about not being charged on 10/05. But before I could even reply to that, they emailed me again and told me to disregard the notice. Apparently their billing system sent notices to everyone. But I agree, I have no idea if I've been overcharged, undercharged, etc. Too many orders with too many coupons. Good thing I've cut back.

Darin

------------------
DVDs are addictive
CDs are too
Old 12-08-00, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not quite sure they're allowed to charge you so long after they ship your order.

Just because they have your CC# doesn't give them part and parcel to charge you whenever they feel like it. I wonder what the limit is? Anyone?
Old 12-09-00, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Got the billing email and then the retraction. Guess their system went crazy. I double checked and was not double charged, so I guess in my case they caught it in time.
Old 12-09-00, 12:19 PM

Since I have a Discover card, I can use their new Deskshop feature to generate a CC number that is good for only one-time-use. It makes it great for online places (especially those that use CC numbers to determine if you're a first-time customer ). It also makes it impossible for them to charge it more than once.

American Express also has this feature. I'm not sure about other cards.

------------------
"PC Load Letter?!?"

My DVD Collection
Old 12-10-00, 12:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Eric F:
I'm not quite sure they're allowed to charge you so long after they ship your order.

Just because they have your CC# doesn't give them part and parcel to charge you whenever they feel like it. I wonder what the limit is? Anyone?

Actually, a retailer pretty much can. Just because you think you have gotten away without paying, doesn't mean that the retailer can't catch it and charge you. When you order an item, and then receive it, they now have the right to charge you. In general they are not going to wait a long time, as you could cancel your card or something, but they have the right to the charge at the end of the transaction.

Old 12-10-00, 07:14 AM

I also have problems matching their charges with my chargecard statements. I even contacted them to suggest they includ billing information on their invoices. Guess what? I got no response from them.
However, if you go to their site, click on your order number, and then click on the "red lettered" detailed billing info, you will get detailed info. It will show the price of each disc sent, the shipping charge added for each disc and if you used a coupon, the date the coupon was credited. By doing a little adding and subtracting you can get things to match up - usually.
Old 12-11-00, 02:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dp20957:
However, if you go to their site, click on your order number, and then click on the "red lettered" detailed billing info, you will get detailed info. It will show the price of each disc sent, the shipping charge added for each disc and if you used a coupon, the date the coupon was credited. By doing a little adding and subtracting you can get things to match up - usually.

Thank you very much - Hal2000