Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Buy.com's customer service is getting better

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Buy.com's customer service is getting better

Old 12-01-00, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a longtime customer of Buy.com, mainly because their prices are excellent and their coupons have been good (this recent batch is disappointing, but better ones may be around the corner.) But historically, their customer service has been atrocious. Last spring, my girlfriend vinyl ordered "Stormtrackers: IMAX". They sent her some crappy movie called "Stormtrackers" with Kelly McGillis. I called them on it, and their basic response was, "Oh yeah, we misadvertised the DVD, just send it back to us and we'll credit your account with the price of the movie." No compensation whatsoever.

Today, though, they did the right thing. In October, I ordered Cowboy Bebop 6 and anxiously awaited its November 6th release date. I still hadn't received it as of today, and when I visited their website I found the disc listed as "ships in 24-48 hours!" When I called and complained, they apologized, said they'd expedite my order, and gave me a $20 credit.

I don't mind a company that makes mistakes, as long as they compensate their customers when mistakes happen. It's just a common courtesy and good business sense. Buy.com's reputation rose a bit tonight, and I'm going to order from them again in the future.

- David Stein

------------------
There is No Cabal
Old 12-01-00, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Good deal.....

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 12-01-00, 10:39 AM

quote:<HR>

Today, though, they did the right thing. In October, I ordered Cowboy Bebop 6 and anxiously awaited its November 6th release date. I still hadn't received it as of today, and when I visited their website I found the disc listed as "ships in 24-48 hours!" When I called and complained, they apologized, said they'd expedite my order, and gave me a $20 credit.

I don't mind a company that makes mistakes, as long as they compensate their customers when mistakes happen. It's just a common courtesy and good business sense. Buy.com's reputation rose a bit tonight, and I'm going to order from them again in the future.

- David Stein

[/B]<HR>

D@MN, I got all excited, I have also been waiting since October for this and after reading your post I checked the website and its still showing on order D@MNIT. I'm beginning the think they just want me to cancel because of the 16.99 price I got it for. EVERYWHERE else that I have checked has it in stock. AAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH I want my Bebop

------------------
Afternoon, Homer. Care for some chili? I've added an extra
ingredient just for you. The merciless peppers of
Quetzlzacatenango!
Grown deep in the jungle primeval by the
inmates of a Guatemalan insane asylum.

I'm lazy, I paid
Old 12-01-00, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just wanted to add my vote in agreement with this thread. I've never had a problem with customer service at buy.com. I've ordered about 100 items from them during the last 6 months (mostly dvds, some office stuff). I've received about 3 damaged discs, and a couple of the wrong item. They have always emailed me a prepaid shipping label immediately.
Also, after a little trouble with a couple of orders, I've received a $20 "concession", that can be applied towards any new order. It actually shows up as a separate credit on your cc statement.
As a general note, I know that you always get the best results from any customer service person if you pretend that you're on the other end. That particular CSR didn't make the mistake on your order, and they're a lot more likely to be more friendly and helpful if you simply state your case reasonably and calmly.
Old 12-01-00, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by dvd2001:
As a general note, I know that you always get the best results from any customer service person if you pretend that you're on the other end.<HR>

That's certainly true, but you have to walk a fine line between being an abusive jerk and being a doormat. In the former case, the CSR's attitude is going to harden and he will stick to the established procedures, which are worded so broadly that anything is fair play. If you don't take a firm enough stance, however, the CSR will just tell you the status of your order and bustle you off the line. So there is a fine line to be walked...

- David Stein

------------------
There is No Cabal
Old 12-01-00, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I complained on a similar issue, about my UP IN SMOKE not being shippe, despite th site saying 24 hours, and all they gave me was 10 dollar credit. ):
Old 12-02-00, 08:30 AM

I don't understand the view that customers are due "compensation" anytime something goes wrong. It seems that the occasional goodwill gesture has become another entitlement. When the occasional mistake occurs I expect the retailer to correct it, while I don't expect to pay for their mistake, I certainly don't expect compensation. If the retailer feels compelled to send a GC or other gift, that's nice, but I don't expect it or feel cheated if they don't.

Mike
Old 12-02-00, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never asked them for compensation and I can't believe they gave anyone anything. After what they put me through and I didn't even get a formal apology. I am currently using www.ugetheard.com with them and even ugetheard claims that their letters are getting ignorned. I'm not going to go into all the details of what they did to me but if you want to read my letter it's under lcatchpo on their website. The funny thing is if you take a look there are many other complaint letters on there about buy.com and none of them are resolved. I find it very insulting that I went through the hell I did and they gave me nothing and others get delayed shipping and other small things and get a 20 dollar credit! Unbelievable!