Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

The one and only UPS SUCKS thread

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

The one and only UPS SUCKS thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-00, 11:16 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
We've had some of these threads in the past, but I thought it was time to really vent.

I had a package shipped out to me yesterday UPS ground from Tx, and according to web tracking I won't receive delivery until Nov 27th! What the hell is that? I understand that there is a holiday coming up, but 11 days for delivery within the continental US? Give me a break! It will apparently be sitting in the warehouse 20miles away from my house for 10 days!

One can only hope I'll get it in one piece because the longer it stays on the truck the more potential it has for damage. Will the UPS truck even come to the right address or will they bring it to a house down the street like they did before? God forbid I'm not home when it comes, because instead of leaving it at the distribution center/counter 3miles away I'll have to drive 25miles to pick it up!

Well, I've vented enough for today. I really wish more retailers would start going with USPS Priority as it's much better. Feel free to post your UPS horror stories here.

[This message has been edited by Eric F (edited November 17, 2000).]
Old 11-17-00, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Being able track packages is really neat. I ordered something from the other side of the U.S. and it was shipped UPS.

It took threes days to reach Denver. Then I watched it hop on the wrong truck and go to Greeley. It took more than three days (4 or 5?) to get from Greeley to my house near Denver.

It is funny that it took 3 days to travel something like 2000miles and more than three days travel 60 miles.

------------------
My DVD List courtesy of DVDProTrack.
Old 11-17-00, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My complaint with UPS is generally being slower than USPS. I recently had two separate orders from Amazon shipped, one UPS, and the other USPS. The UPS order shipped 2 days ahead of USPS order, but I received the USPS order 1 day before the UPS order finally arrived.

------------------
My DVD and Laser Disc Collection

[This message has been edited by LASERMOVIES (edited November 17, 2000).]
Old 11-17-00, 02:32 PM

There's absolutely no comparison between UPS and USPS. I wonder what the operating costs and volume of packages is for each? It would be interesting to see exactly why UPS doesn't seem to be able to live up to the standards of the USPS. This is about the only area I can think of where a government run operation outperforms a private sector one. And USPS is *cheaper* too. I seem to recall not too long ago (maybe 10-15 years) the USPS didn't exactly have the best reputation for reliability. Sort of like UPS is now. Anybody else remember that?

Anyone else remeber the UPS strike from last year? Yeah, that helped. If anything service is *worse* now. But I guess that's not the point of a strike, is it...
Old 11-17-00, 06:23 PM

I am going to crack up! I hate UPS! Wal-mart.com shipped my playstation 2 bundle last Friday. It arrived here Thrusday. I have been tracking it everyday. Now they are saying they cannot deliver because the driver needs directions to my dorm. I have never had problems getting a package delivered to my dorm before. Now they cannot find my dorm. What the heck! I do not get them, if you do not now where a building is on campus why not ask directions. I called UPS now I have to wait until Monday before my playstation 2 will be delivered. I hate UPS!
Old 11-17-00, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I hate ups as well, They ship items in 4-7 days, and take a h*ll a lot longer than USPS. Their tracking system is crap, the information on the packages is never right, and doesn't show the correct information until the product has arrived on your doorstep. Plus, I hate when the damn truck keeps passing by your neighborhood 5 or 6 times a day, and you run downstairs thinking your package has arrived, but the damn truck passes your house by, when your package is supposed to arrive on that day, and then later on you don't receive your package until 4-7 days later. It's like they are playing mind tricks with you.

One more thing I hate is how packages magically get sent to some other destination, like for example, if you have a package that's in the ups warehouse by your city, and you think you'll receive it in a couple of days, and all of sudden it gets shipped to Alaska, thus you don't get your package until 1-2 weeks later.

USPS is King!

------------------

"The way to live a good life is to act on your emotions."

Heero Yuy - Gundam Wing

[This message has been edited by HoMeBrO (edited November 17, 2000).]
Old 11-17-00, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Y2k_Jags, all I have to say is "ouch." Thankfully the campus post office here takes UPS packages.
Old 11-24-00, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have two different complaints about UPS this week. First, this last Tuesday UPS left two packages outside my gate that could have easily been stolen by anyone driving or walking by my house. They could have placed them on the other side of the gate were they would have been hidden from view. But they left a $150 worth of DVDs for anyone to take if they wanted.

The second complaint involves their slow delivery of packages. I ordered a digital camera from 800.com last week and it shipped on the 18th, and it hasn't arrived yet. When tracking the order it says the estimated day of delivery is not until November 27. Funny thing is 800.com sends me an e-mail today asking how I like my new camera which is still in transit. I had two separate orders ship from Amazon and 800.com by USPS on Wednesday and received them today or should say in just two days. I think these e-tailers better reconsider using UPS if they want their customers to receive orders promptly and safe.
Old 11-27-00, 12:49 AM

How about this: I had a botched order from 800.com a few weeks ago, so I ordered "The Straight Story" as a replacement for the one they botched. They sent that out UPS the same day as they sent my "MI-2" pre-order USPS. I guess they thought they were doing me a favor w/ the UPS, but guess again - "MI-2" arrived 2 days later, but "Straight Story" took over a week to arrive! The online tracking wasn't even working for it half the time. When it did show up, the box was freezing cold, as though it had been in a truck for a nice long time. Hmmmm! I wonder...

JiM T
Old 11-27-00, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ups automatically sucks for not shipping items after Thanksgiving on friday, and not shipping items on the weekend.
Old 11-27-00, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I ordered a table online a few months ago that was shipped UPS, and when it arrived (a month after it shipped), there was barely anything left to the package. The UPS guy basically gave me a table top with the legs and hardware and stuff duct taped to it, and a few pieces of styrofoam and cardboard. When I questioned him about it, he assured me that UPS may have damaged the table, but that he counted them and all the pieces of the table were there. i refused delivery, but had a hard time getting a refund since the company I ordered from couldn't believe that I didn't have some role in demolishing the table. UPS sucks.
Old 11-27-00, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Agreed... I'm still waiting on Fantasia from Amazon, shipped UPS. Figure I'll get it sometime between now and when hell freezes over.
Old 11-27-00, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Has anyone else noticed that with Amazon and UPS, if you order one single disc DVD, chances are they ship it by USPS and all is right ... a couple days after street.

But order a couple of discs and it gets shipped by UPS and goes to DVD purgatory before it hits your doorstep.

---

I've got three orders in the pipe, two from Amazon — my 11/21 discs (three titles) and my PS2 bundle — and one from 800.com — Sony home theater bundle.

All three are handled by UPS ... the 800.com order shipped early Wednesday and as of this evening still hasn't left Portland. I know UPS didn't work most of last week, but geez at this rate I expect arrival on Dec. 4 or 5 — UPS says Dec. 1

The PS2 was shipped last Monday and it *might be here tomorrow ... it was shipped from Lexington, KY.

The same goes for my 11/21 discs — shipped out 11/21 from Lexington, I doubt I'll see them before Thursday.

Old 11-28-00, 11:23 AM

The new Fedex home delivery option may be the way to go in the future
Old 11-30-00, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had a package from 800.com shipped on Nov. 22 via UPS. According to the UPS online tracking system, the package hasn't been scanned since that initial scan. Should I be worried?
Old 11-30-00, 12:21 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
No. That's typical.

Many times the results won't show up until after you've received the package.