Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Buy.com's "Steal of the Day"

Old 11-29-00, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to share my recent experience with Buy.com in regards to a recent "Deal of the Day".

A few weeks back, Buy featured as their deal a DVD of Peter Frampton in Detroit for $4.99. I'm sure that many of you got in on this deal as did I.

I had been waiting for a while when late last week I received an e-mail stating that they were still looking to fill my order. Apparently none were in stock at that time and so I contented myself to wait. I got another e-mail on Monday stating the same thing.

Last night when I got home, I had to packages from Buy and so I was hopeful that something that I had ordered had arrived.

I opened the bigger of the two boxes and found 2 Orson Welles movies that I had ordered on 10/23/00. The second package was a mailer for 1 DVD and I didn't know what to expect.

I opened the wrap-around box and looked at the invoice which said "Peter Framptonin Det" but when I flipped the DVD over to look at the cover I realized that I had a brand new copy of...... "The Piano".

You know the movie with Holly Hunter, a naked and a naked and tumescent Harvey Keitel and that little girl who would later go on to become Rogue in the "X Men" movie, Anna Paquin.

I was stunned! MSRP on this movie is about $25 and I though no wonder Buy is having trouble staying afloat.

Did the warehouse picker filling these orders
simply go: "uh...... P..... Pe.... Pi... Piano... Ahhhhh... they'll never know the difference...".

Needless to say, I'll keep this "Steal of the Day" and pickup Frampton at Circuit City for $19.95.

Anyone else get their copy of the Frampton DVD?

------------------
Frequently doing the undoable...
Old 11-29-00, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:
Originally posted by speedy1961:Needless to say, I'll keep this "Steal of the Day" and pickup Frampton at Circuit City for $19.95.

I've got a FRAMPTON DVD for trade if interested.

Old 11-29-00, 04:22 PM

I hate to break it to you but BUY.COM owns no merchandise and stocks no items.

(Same for CDNOW and BIGSTAR)

All they do is take your order and then arrange for a distributor to ship your order directly. East Coast customers usually get their merchandise from a different distribution company than West Coast customers.

Thus, all that happens is that the workers at the distribution company pulled the wrong item to put in your shipping box.

Since the invoice says "Peter Frampton", then buy.com is only charged the pre-arranged special cost on "Peter Frampton" and it is actually the distributor who is out one copy of "Piano".

BTW, these sorts of misships happen a hundred times a year at any order fulfillment company of any size.