Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Do you take Amazon bribes for 5 star reviews?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Do you take Amazon bribes for 5 star reviews?

Old 02-27-20, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 119 Likes on 106 Posts
Re: Do you take Amazon bribes for 5 star reviews?

I rarely ever read 5 star reviews, unless it is one with a lot of technical details which I didn't know previously.

I generally read the 1-star and 2-star reviews. I mainly look for ones which go into details about technical problems which would warrant 1 or 2 stars.
Old 02-27-20, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 477 Likes on 383 Posts

^ The 1 and 2-star reviews are a good way to determine the real value, or lack thereof, as the case often is, of a product. Sure, many of the 1 stars are simply planted, but those are easy enough to weed out. Most of the 2 and 3 star reviews are the only truly honest reviews of the product.

One of the few good things left about Amazon is their reviews. Doing a careful perusal of the reviews can tell you more about shoddy or questionable products than can reading reams and reams of "site" reviews. All of those have received the products as "free" demos and are usually paid by the companies to write a favorable review. Same with the 5-star reviews on Amazon. The diamonds in the rough are the 1, 2, and (measured) 3-star reviews.
Old 02-29-20, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 454 Likes on 391 Posts

Amazon's reviews have become more and more worthless over the years, as the signal-to-noise ratio has only gotten worse. When they combined them for different versions of the same item, much of their value went out the window.

Did any of those third-party apps that lay user comments over another website ever reach critical mass? Amazon cannot be trusted managing product reviews.
Old 09-24-20, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 631 Likes on 458 Posts

Sorry for the bump but I finally got one of these. It was attached on the inside of the product box. Looks like an Amazon giftcard for $15 on one side. The other side gives the instructions on how to get the money. Funny thing is line 3 says I'll get $20.
Old 09-25-20, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,253 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I wrote a review exactly like this and Amazon refused to post it because it was about the vendor and not the product.
Really?

I see a lot of Amazon product reviews that leave one star for nothing more than a gripe with the MP seller.

And it drives authors fucking crazy when their books get one star reviews because a third party seller cancelled their order or sent the wrong book.