Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Why do B&M Barnes and Noble charge full price for DVD and CD's?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Why do B&M Barnes and Noble charge full price for DVD and CD's?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-00, 05:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Today after my class I went to my county's newest bookstore,(6.6 miles from my house) Barnes and Noble(outside the Solano Mall ) in Fairfield,CA nearby Circuit City and Outside of the mall by Best Buy. I went to Barnes and Noble to order some of the science fiction book series I read"Doctor Who".Currenlty I cannot order these book in Vacaville so I must either to Borders(in Davis) or Barnes and Noble(which is closer). I managned to order 4 of 12 books on my list.

Before Ileft,I ordered my books I checked out the DVD',CD's and Videos. I noticed that they were full retail price! With Circuit City and Best Buy nearby you'd think they lower the DVD,CD's and videos. One example is "Patroit Games" for 29.99(circuit city has it for 23.99), the soundtrack to"patriot games" 16.99! Does anyone know if you can special order DVD's though Barnes and Noble?If so what was it like?How do you do special order there?Is it the same was as books?Also how does a new Barnes and Noble generate business ? my dad said he did not see any special discounts or books sales to get people into the new bookstore! As for Vacaville city leaders,Screw you! You cannot bring to me a better bookstore other Crown books!Crown Books Sucks!!!
Old 10-25-00, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Because B&N is a huge national chain, their prices must be the same in all their stores (with rare exceptions). As a result, your particular B&N's proximity to a Best Buy or CC would have no effect on their prices. B&N as a chain has always pretty much charged full price on everything. I think they feel they can because in the book business, most bookstores still charge the full listed price on a book, so they are used to that mentality. As for special orders, why are you trying to order from B&N? Is it because you can't get the dvd elsewhere? You would have better luck getting the title you want from a record store that sells videos, since they deal with the larger distributors. I get the feeling B&N would both charge more and be less likely to get what you want. BTW- why not just search for the title online at www.dvdpricesearch.com and buy it online? If you don't have a credit card, you can use www.colbaltcard.com or one of the similar services (or try buying internetcash at www.internetcash.com, which is accepted at TWEC)
Old 10-25-00, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They do seem to charge heaps hey! I even sent them an email asking (politely) if their prices were for real.

After the answer, my conclusion is this; do what I do, shop elsewhere.

------------------
Regards...
Drinker of much Pepsi, trainer of Dingo's and Jack's Aussie Moonshine importer...
John 3:16
Old 10-26-00, 11:21 AM

Because they can...and people still buy them there.