DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Sacramento, birthplace of Tower Records, is losing its last media retailer (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/647946-sacramento-birthplace-tower-records-losing-its-last-media-retailer.html)

Alan Smithee 06-19-19 01:07 AM

Sacramento, birthplace of Tower Records, is losing its last media retailer

Dimple Records began in Roseville in 1974, slowly expanding across the area. After Tower Records closed, Dimple moved into many of their locations so they could continue functioning as record stores. Today the owners announced that they are retiring and will be closing all four locations- low sales of course being a main reason. There is no word on whether they tried to sell the business to someone who will keep it going, but the same liquidation firm that bought Tower just to sell it all off will be handling their closing sales. That will leave us with no place besides Best Buy, Target, Walmart, and Fry's, all of which have shrunk their selections already, to even shop for this stuff, and basically forcing us to buy the smaller-label releases and such online. Dimple was far from a perfect store (they didn't always have what I went in for, and they did foolish stuff like use "spiders" that damaged box sets ensuring nobody would pay full price for them) but leaving us with no more dedicated media stores makes the retail environment even worse than it was before. I'll be making a lot more trips to the San Francisco area now, unless somebody steps in. (Yes, I know, media is dying, better get used to it.)

Mondo Kane 06-19-19 11:34 PM

Re: Sacramento, birthplace of Tower Records, is losing its last media retailer

I used to go to the one in Citrus Heights a lot. *Browsing through my collection* Here’s some of the cool, unique titles I remember grabbing there when they became Dimples:

42nd Street Forever Vol 2
Alice in Wonderland - Limited Storybook Edition (1976)
Colt 38 Special Squad
Emergency Squad
Evil Dead Trap
Fallen Angels
Grindhouse Trash Collection
Jess Franco Collection (Image)
Satanico Pandemonium
The Spook Who Sat By The Door
Standing in the shadows of Motown
Vampyr (Criterion)
Yakuza Graveyard
Zou Zou

The only nearest “Cool” store to me now is FYE. Hopefully that one will last a little bit longer.

Alan Smithee 06-20-19 08:12 PM

I don't know of any FYE stores closer than Yuba City or Modesto. They were going to move into the Tower Broadway and Watt locations after those closed, but had some sort of problem with the lease terms there. There was one in the Arden mall and another at Roseville Galleria but both of those closed a long time ago. (The Arden store last had all CDs priced at $9.99 which was decent.)

News says the Dimple closing has more to do with the owners wanting to retire than poor sales. They didn't want to sell the business because they have a ton of inventory and want to sell that all off and keep the money from that; potential buyers wouldn't have paid them as much as they're likely to make from this. There should be a market for at least one new store here after they're gone, but obviously it'll be harder for them to start out from scratch. I'm hoping we get Rasputin here, as their stores magically find still-sealed laserdiscs and sell them for nothing.

asianxcore 06-20-19 08:51 PM

This news bummed me out :(

Although I live 90 miles from Sacramento, I always stopped by a few of the Dimple Records stores for my purchases. The area I live in does not have a non-chain B&M store that sells Blu-Rays & DVDs, so I loved going to Dimples

PhantomStranger 06-20-19 09:59 PM

Physical media at retail is dying in all but a few of the country's wealthiest areas. Barnes & Noble just cut their CD sections largely in half.

It's kind of a sick irony that FYE is still hanging around in a few places since they quickly moved years ago to selling t-shirts and nerd items.

Alan Smithee 06-20-19 10:47 PM

Dimple added a lot of that junk a few years ago also. I rarely go into Barnes and Noble, their stuff is usually at list price. Dimple's prices were a bit more competitive, I bought many Shout titles actually lower than what Amazon had them for. I buy far fewer CDs than I used to but that's mainly because there's less good music coming out; I'm not replacing any of it with mp3s and such.

asianxcore 06-22-19 09:01 AM

It was also great to see how large Dimple's used sections were for Blu-Rays & DVDs.

I always looked forward to visiting each of their stores whenever I was in the Sacramento area and slowly going through all of their used Blu-Rays & DVDs.

I was at the Broadway store not too long ago, picked up a whole lot of new Blu-Rays and a few used DVDs.

With Dimples closing down and Rasputin closing all of their smaller mall stores, I wonder how long is left for these independent stores in the Bay Area.

JeffTheAlpaca 06-26-19 07:18 PM

Unfortunately the demand probably won't be there for Tower Records pop up stores or it would have happened by now.

rjh_54 06-29-19 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13568046)
Physical media at retail is dying in all but a few of the country's wealthiest areas. Barnes & Noble just cut their CD sections largely in half.

It's kind of a sick irony that FYE is still hanging around in a few places since they quickly moved years ago to selling t-shirts and nerd items.

I'm also shocked that FYE is still around. Their prices are far from competitive and their trade-in values - which were ridiculous to begin with - have gone way down. All of those tacky shirts, candy and toys they're more focused now on selling is ridiculously overpriced too.

zyzzle 07-06-19 05:10 PM

Sad... The death of physical media is a devolution in the history of audio and video systems. Fewer rights to the consumer, lesser quality of content (bitrates are shitty on 99.9% of streamed content), fewer rights as to more-restricted content. It's a trifecta of "success" for the studios, and a catalogue of horrors for the consumer. Sad, sad times. But, at least physical media seems to not be dead from online sources quite yet. But, we're paying $30+ from niche vendors instead of $10-15 from the studios themselves for physical discs now.

Alan Smithee 10-04-19 10:31 PM

Just went by "The Cave" which is taking the place of Dimple's store in Folsom, to sell a few items (didn't buy anything.) It's in soft opening right now but might be cool. The guy there said Rasputin might open a store in one of the other former spaces, which I'd been hoping for. I emailed them when I first heard the news and begged them to open up here. Of course now I'm out of room to keep things...

asianxcore 10-09-19 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee (Post 13618807)
Just went by "The Cave" which is taking the place of Dimple's store in Folsom, to sell a few items (didn't buy anything.) It's in soft opening right now but might be cool. The guy there said Rasputin might open a store in one of the other former spaces, which I'd been hoping for. I emailed them when I first heard the news and begged them to open up here. Of course now I'm out of room to keep things...

We'll see how that goes. Rasputin Music has been opening up and closing stores throughout the past few years.

In Sacramento at least, they won't have much direct competition, so they'll probably do well.