Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Your Predictions for the Christmas online shopping season?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Your Predictions for the Christmas online shopping season?

Old 10-23-00, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am considering placing some big orders w/ buy.com during their free shipping this week. However, i am a little reluctant since we are approaching the holiday season. Last year during the holidays is when i started my mad purchasing spree due to the deals available.

Yes, i know there won't be as good of sales this year - but, gosh, it has to be better than the last 3-4 months, right?!

Any predictions from peeps in the know out there on how the online xmas season will pan out?
Old 10-23-00, 06:15 PM

Should just get bigger and bigger. Two years ago, I bought most my Christmas presents online, and last year, ALL OF THEM online...it's cheaper, you don't have to fight the mall crowds, and you can find cool stuff online that you would never find in a mall.
I've predicted that online shopping will replace the mall in about 20 years...but it looks like it may be as soon as 10. Any thoughts?
Old 10-23-00, 07:13 PM

For general Christmas buying, online shopping is definitely an improvement as long as you order soon enough (remember the lawsuits against e-tailers for not living up to their promises of fulfilling orders by Christmas?).

For DVDs though, my predictions for this Christmas are places offering "deals" like 20% off and/or free shipping. That's as good as it's going to get and then after that, 5-7% off retail standard. Maybe 10% if we're lucky.

"$27.99 for _Duets_?!? Are you nuts?!?"

Old 10-24-00, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This Christmas should be huge, especially with the PS2 coming out which has a DVD player built in.

------------------
Regards...
Drinker of much Pepsi, trainer of Dingo's and Jack's Aussie Moonshine importer...
John 3:16
Old 10-24-00, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

lets put it another way:

Do you think this holiday season will see the return of online deals such as 10/20 coupons and $20 free new customer coupons?

many online company's stocks have been brutalized over the last 6 months -- i can't see how they can expect to survive if they produce a mediocre 4th quarter. Without some major coaxing again this year (in the form of deals/incentives/etc), i don't think they will see the number of shoppers they need to give their investors confidence, and to survive another year.

Old 10-24-00, 01:24 PM

I think the market is drying up for profit-less website retailers. Another Christmas season of giving away money isn't going to bolster anyone's prospects so I'm predicting pretty lean deals. The only site that seems to still offer low prices and coupons is buy.com... they must have some deep pockets.