Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 08-08-18, 04:56 PM   #1
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ebay Is Now Charging Sales Tax

The last to cave. They just lost an order I was about to place.
Old 08-08-18, 05:18 PM   #2
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Re: Ebay Is Now Charging Sales Tax

I wonder what triggers it.

I placed two orders today -- one from a buyer in FL, the other from someone in Taiwan -- and I wasn't charged tax for either one.
"When you're in your twenties, you wonder what everyone's thinking of you. When you're in your thirties, you don't care what people think of you. And when you reach your forties, you find out no one was ever thinking of you in the first place."
-Patton Oswalt
Old 08-08-18, 05:18 PM   #3
DVD Talk Legend

Ha, I doubt the order they lost will have a large impact.
Old 08-08-18, 05:26 PM   #4
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't get charged on my purchase today.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 08-08-18, 05:55 PM   #5
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
I wonder what triggers it.

I placed two orders today -- one from a buyer in FL, the other from someone in Taiwan -- and I wasn't charged tax for either one.
It may just be the large sellers; & it may just be Washington State where I live. But there was definitely sales tax in my cart. I was stacking 2 coupons; & that kind of messed up the discount......

Sales Tax + shipping - a screwed consumer.
Old 08-09-18, 01:11 AM   #6
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I believe only large seller since I got taxed buying from Bestbuy a few weeks ago (through ebay of course) and no one else since.
Old 08-09-18, 10:06 AM   #7
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm in MN. Since the Wayfair ruling, MN has made these requirements on Marketplace Providers (ie. Ebay/Amazon) for filing taxes:

"When is a Marketplace Provider required to collect and remit sales tax on behalf of remote sellers using their marketplace?
Marketplace Provider must collect and remit Minnesota sales tax on all taxable sales into Minnesota made by a remote seller through the marketplace unless any of the following are true:
-The remote seller makes taxable retail sales into Minnesota through the marketplace of less than $10,000 in a 12-month period ending on the most recently completed calendar quarter.
-The remote seller elects to register and collect Minnesota sales tax directly and does not enter into an agreement with the Marketplace Provider for the marketplace to collect and remit Minnesota sales tax on behalf of the remote seller.
-The Marketplace Provider does not maintain a place of business in Minnesota."

Last edited by dfmaverick2; 08-09-18 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-09-18, 03:07 PM   #8
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, eBay had been just about the last bastion of cheaper retail goods on the net with its tax advantage. This is going to severely hurt eBay.

I've generally gotten better deals off eBay in the past year on media than Amazon or other net retailers. Their regular 15% and 20% off deals make many media items that never go on sale cheaper than they ever will be on Amazon or sites like Deepdiscount. The tax addition cuts into that advantage a great deal.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 08-09-18, 03:16 PM   #9
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Tax advantage? It’s much easier to pre-pay it than to have to pay my state come April.
Old 08-09-18, 06:21 PM   #10
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
Ha, I doubt the order they lost will have a large impact.
Multiply it by a few million users, and they'll notice.

Why shop at eBay now when I can just buy direct from the merchant online?

Bye-bye private sellers, too.
Old 08-10-18, 03:36 PM   #11

Could be based on if the seller resides in your state. Movie Mars resides in NC and I get charged tax everytime.
Old 08-12-18, 12:29 PM   #12
Mostly Banned

Interesting, I just noticed a listing today from someone in Ohio and their description says "Currently not shipping/selling to Ohio residents at this time" and was wondering what that was all about. I guess ebay finally having to charge tax is why, so is it just if the seller and buyer are in the same state then?
Old 08-12-18, 07:00 PM   #13
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Interesting, I just noticed a listing today from someone in Ohio and their description says "Currently not shipping/selling to Ohio residents at this time" and was wondering what that was all about. I guess ebay finally having to charge tax is why, so is it just if the seller and buyer are in the same state then?
People are dumb. The likelihood of shipping to your own state is slim. If it’s a small seller, they don’t hit a minimum. If it’s a big seller, the need to stfu and assimilate.
Old 08-13-18, 09:58 AM   #14

Also may have been an eBay seller using Amazon to drop ship. I've had that happen recently.
Old 09-07-18, 12:50 AM   #15
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I ordered something from California today from a large seller and didn't get charged sales tax. I was planning to order a $300 item from a somewhat smaller seller in Florida and was getting charge $21 in sales tax. I live in NC.

it would be nice to know when and if you are going to get charged with sales tax, particuarly if youre bidding on an item. Best to know beforehand because it could affect how much you want to bid on an item.
Old 09-08-18, 02:13 PM   #16
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
it would be nice to know when and if you are going to get charged with sales tax, particuarly if youre bidding on an item. Best to know beforehand because it could affect how much you want to bid on an item.
On the shipping tab, there is also a section right below it that shows where the seller charges Sales Tax. If you don't see the Sales Tax section, then that means the seller doesn't collect sales tax on any sales.
Old 09-16-18, 09:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Tax advantage? It’s much easier to pre-pay it than to have to pay my state come April.
It's an advantage for those of us not stupid enough to report random online purchases for no reason.
Old 10-02-18, 10:25 AM   #18
DVD Talk Legend

I just had to post this. In one of these threads, one of you defended eBay's stock value. I suppose that's the difference between Etrading and actually having to do business with the company itself. I saw this coming. Ebay has become a parasite to its sellers. Amazon has too. But Amazon doesn't rely on 3rd party sellers. Investors propped up eBay for too long.

The CEO is a hard-power sissy, who's feuding with PayPal by forcing "Merchant Payments Only" into their system. And PayPal may or may not be an option for sellers anymore. The beta program has already started, and sellers who opted in are seeing dramatic declines in sales. So eBay is going to charge the buyer's credit card, become the payment intermediate, and hold your balance per their own rules (which is what Amazon and Etsy currently do).

They need to get rid of Cassini (which is supressing legitimate sellers) and then fire themselves for the good of the company. I really don't see eBay recovering. It'll be interesting to see what happens or who takes over.

Old 10-03-18, 06:20 AM   #19

To my knowledge I've still never paid sales tax on any eBay purchase from any seller, large or small. Just to be sure I just checked our latest two eBay purchases, both within the last 2 weeks, neither had any sales tax.
Old 10-03-18, 07:22 AM   #20
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper187 View Post
It's an advantage for those of us not stupid enough to report random online purchases for no reason.
Following the law is stupid, got it!