Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

USA Suprememe Court Rules That All Internet Companies Must Charge Sales Tax To All Sa

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

USA Suprememe Court Rules That All Internet Companies Must Charge Sales Tax To All Sa

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-18, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: USA Suprememe Court Rules That All Internet Companies Must Charge Sales Tax To Al

Sheesh, is there any online retailer you don't complain about?
Old 07-25-18, 03:13 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: USA Suprememe Court Rules That All Internet Companies Must Charge Sales Tax To Al

I would think that at least 99% of customers don’t even consider sales tax when making online purchases. It’s either there or it’s not, a few percent isn’t going to affect their purchases decision.
Old 07-25-18, 03:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I would think that at least 99% of customers don’t even consider sales tax when making online purchases. It’s either there or it’s not, a few percent isn’t going to affect their purchases decision.
Most people don't think about small purchases, but how do you not consider tax when spending $300+? I always try to get my game consoles, TVs, etc tax free. Yeah, I pre-order movies on Amazon for convenience. However, prior to the recent sale tax fuckery, I always used Amazon fulfilled sellers for everything possible to avoid tax on principle. Why spend more than you have to? I'm hoping I have time to rebuild my PCs one more time tax free. I wasn't planning to do it until next year though.
Old 07-25-18, 03:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Sheesh, is there any online retailer you don't complain about?
Nope. I hate them all for one reason or another. Amazon used to be fine until they started with excess login nagging and sales tax...and they haven't restocked Surge for some goddamn reason.

BB always tries to default you to fucking store pickup. It's a goddamn website. I'm shopping online. I want the shit delivered to me. The fact they won't even save my goddamn preference of shipping is ridiculous.

B&H is run by religious fuckwits who don't accept orders on Saturday. The only reason I started shopping there at one point is because NewEgg went to shit.
Old 07-25-18, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 898 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Or just create another useless/unneeded government entity to collect a flat "US sales tax" and distribute it based on population density. Shouldn't cost much more than they'd collect.

I don't get "sales tax" at all. It's a regressive tax and should be eliminated in favor of one balanced to income/family size. Oh... wait... that one's screwed up too!
That's the "Value added tax" like the UK has. It's a national tax on goods, and I believe is a whopping 17.5%.

Don't worry. Soon, I shudder to think how soon, the US will have a VAT (17.5% or above!) in *addition* to state sales taxes. Soon, the "Middle class" will be throwing away 50% or more of its AGI to taxes, between the myriad and multitude of all goods, services, IRS, SSI, Medicare, etc, taxed to death.
Old 07-26-18, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Many left-wing think tanks have been pushing for the US to implement a Federal VAT tax. I think California is crazy enough to do it on their own.
Old 03-13-19, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts
Re: USA Suprememe Court Rules That All Internet Companies Must Charge Sales Tax To All Sa

I got this from B & H Photo

"Important Message Regarding Sales Tax As you may know, based on a June 2018 U.S. Supreme Court ruling, California is now requiring out of state sellers to collect sales tax. As a result, B&H will begin to collect sales tax on shipments to California on April 1st. All reputable retailers are complying with the new laws and collecting sales tax."

Dam! Now I can't get buy anything outside of CA even if they don't have a base or headquarters in CA without paying sales tax.

Fuck California and their taxes!

If I wanted to buy a big item like a 82" TV I will have to pay sales tax
Old 03-13-19, 06:30 PM
Banned

Re: USA Suprememe Court Rules That All Internet Companies Must Charge Sales Tax To All Sa

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I got this from B & H Photo

"Important Message Regarding Sales Tax As you may know, based on a June 2018 U.S. Supreme Court ruling, California is now requiring out of state sellers to collect sales tax. As a result, B&H will begin to collect sales tax on shipments to California on April 1st. All reputable retailers are complying with the new laws and collecting sales tax."

Dam! Now I can't get buy anything outside of CA even if they don't have a base or headquarters in CA without paying sales tax.

Fork California and their taxes!

If I wanted to buy a big item like a 82" TV I will have to pay sales tax
I think the way they're doing this is completely ashbackwards and more costly to everyone on the business/tax end. If you go to another state and buy something, you pay the sales tax rate where the store is, NOT your goddarn tax where you live. It should be the same for ordering from other places online. If you order from NY, you should pay NY tax.

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 05-07-19 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Welcome! Everything is fine. You're in the Good Place.
Old 03-13-19, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

I bought stuff from B&H and never paid sales tax but now I do
Old 03-13-19, 10:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Viper187
If you go to another state and buy something, you pay the sales tax rate where the store is, NOT your goddamn tax where you live. It should be the same for ordering from other places online. If you order from NY, you should pay NY tax.
Mmm, but wouldn't online retailers then move their headquarters, warehouse, etc. (or execute some legal maneuver that means the same thing) to states with no sales tax like Delaware, Oregon, Montana, etc.? Delaware in particular has been a corporate tax haven for a long time: Why Are So Many U.S. Companies Incorporated in Delaware?

Over a million businesses—more than 50 percent of publicly traded companies in the U.S. and more than 60 percent of Fortune 500 companies—are incorporated in Delaware. But with a population of only 941,600 (as of October 2015), why do so many big companies, from Bank of America to Google to Coca-Cola, incorporate in Delaware?
Delaware’s courts, tax system, laws, and policies have made it an attractive state for businesses to incorporate in since at least the early 1900s. Speaking to The New York Times, David Brunori, a George Washington University Law School professor and tax expert, explained that “Delaware is an outlier in the way it does business … what it offers is an opportunity to game the system and do it legally.”

Not that I'd be complaining.
Old 03-14-19, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper187
I think the way they're doing this is completely assbackwards and more costly to everyone on the business/tax end. If you go to another state and buy something, you pay the sales tax rate where the store is, NOT your goddamn tax where you live. It should be the same for ordering from other places online. If you order from NY, you should pay NY tax.
This is not true if you buy a car... you pay sales tax based on where you register the car. So if you go from CA to NV to buy a car, when you come back home (if you haven't driven it for 12 months out of state) you'll owe the difference in sales tax to the DMV when you register.