Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Anyone know where I can get good deal for year of Entertainment Weekly?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Anyone know where I can get good deal for year of Entertainment Weekly?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-19, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts
Re: Anyone know where I can get good deal for year of Entertainment Weekly?

It'd be more like if they were still called the New Orleans Jazz and the Minneapolis Lakers after they moved.
Old 06-06-19, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,189 Likes on 4,216 Posts

^ There are no lakes in L.A. and essentially no Jazz in Utah.
Old 06-06-19, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

I take it a name change is in order?
Old 06-06-19, 05:48 PM

Received 1,907 Likes on 1,126 Posts

Old 06-07-19, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I take it a name change is in order?
Nope, as indicated by an earlier poster, they're keeping the Entertainment Weekly name.

They're also ditching their best writers (or what's left of them). Anthony Breznican was fired yesterday.
Old 06-07-19, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

They should just change it to Entertainment Periodically and be done with it.
Old 06-07-19, 11:37 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

So how will they handle current subscriptions? Will they count each monthly issue as four weekly magazines? It seems like most issues lately are double issues and they count them as two issues.
Old 06-12-19, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

I just cancelled my subscription yesterday after having EW since 1994. Sad day. Used to be my go to source for the latest reviews, but the magazine has gone way downhill. And now Time Warner doesn't even own them anymore.
Old 06-14-19, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Texan26
So how will they handle current subscriptions? Will they count each monthly issue as four weekly magazines? It seems like most issues lately are double issues and they count them as two issues.
No word yet, but chances are your expiration date will STAY as your expiration date - meaning you'll get far less issues now than you would have.
Old 06-14-19, 08:09 AM

What is that based on? You purchased however many issues that you purchased. I would think that they extend you appropriately
Old 06-15-19, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

EW must be in pretty bad shape. They ended their SiriusXM channel last week. I'm guessing EW must have been partially funding it. They moved the main morning show with Dalton Ross and Jessica Shaw over to another channel in the afternoons and still call it EW Live so there is still some kind of relationship. All the other daily shows were ended, but some of the weekly shows and some other new shows are available via streaming/on demand only. Most of the content on the channel was not that good so it wasn't a huge loss.
Old 06-16-19, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
What is that based on? You purchased however many issues that you purchased. I would think that they extend you appropriately
They've been cheating on issue numbers for years. There are a number of issues that they count as two when they skip a week. so if they skipped priting an issue one week they would put two issue numbers on the following week. So if they say skipped issue number 1441, they would label the next issue #1441/1442. I would not be surprise if when they go monthly they would do something like #1441/1442/1443/1444 and it count as four instead of one issue.
Old 06-22-19, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 811 Likes on 600 Posts

They had really only been printing 2 or 3 issues a month. I'll still subscribe since I like their book reviews. I always stay behind on reading them any. Maybe with one per month, I'll stay caught up on reading them....
Old 07-17-19, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 214 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Texan26
I don't know where I was but I'm just finding out about the change to monthly. I looked up my data and I renewed my subscription for one year in April of this year. My subscription info on the site says my subscription will now end in February 2021. We'll see if it lasts that long and what I'll do then.
Old 07-20-19, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
EW must be in pretty bad shape. They ended their SiriusXM channel last week. I'm guessing EW must have been partially funding it. They moved the main morning show with Dalton Ross and Jessica Shaw over to another channel in the afternoons and still call it EW Live so there is still some kind of relationship. All the other daily shows were ended, but some of the weekly shows and some other new shows are available via streaming/on demand only. Most of the content on the channel was not that good so it wasn't a huge loss.
I am of two minds on the EW Radio cancellation, the first is that it is a bummer and folks like Kyle Anderson had some pretty great 2 hour blocks with cool guest stars and he really touched on a pretty good assortment of things in Pop Culture, not just spending all of his time fixated on one subject (with a few exceptions, but for the most part I think my memory of his time on EW Radio is accurate), now the other mind says yes...WAY too much focus on stuff that was either really not worth all the energy spent to cover it, or quite frankly did not need EW to pimp it (The Walking Dead, and a show I still like, Survivor comes to mind).

The shows that were just a hideous waste of time and energy to cover were stuff like those Bachelor/Bachelorette recaps that took up an entire hour or more, and only appealed to a niche audience who wanted to listen to a deep dive recap from a radio talk show. It felt like half the time I would turn on the radio and EW would be pimping The Walking Dead, Survivor, or Bachelor/Bachelorette, meaning I would promptly turn to another station to listen too. So yeah...that couldn’t be good for the EW Radio channels ratings. Sometimes EW radio was fantastic, but there were way too many times when I just switched channels, and if I was switching channels you know plenty of other listeners were doing the same.

A lot of missed opportunities to cover shows that were maybe flying underneath a lot of pop culture fans’ radar like The Magicians or The Expanse, shows that could use the free publicity from EW, but instead of trying to turn people on to The Magicians, you would tune in and hear someone recapping The Bachelor, which is just wrong and the very definition of a missed opportunity to get people more interested in something other than a trash reality tv show.

This thread reminds me that I need to cancel my subscription, also, sorry for the thread drift!!
Old 07-20-19, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by DWilson
I don't know where I was but I'm just finding out about the change to monthly. I looked up my data and I renewed my subscription for one year in April of this year. My subscription info on the site says my subscription will now end in February 2021. We'll see if it lasts that long and what I'll do then.
I just received the first monthly issue (August 2019.) The magazine is a little thicker. 109 pages. The last weekly issue was 49 pages. My subscription info has also changed on the address tag of the magazine. Previous issue stated my subscription ended September 2020. The new issue now states my last issue is December 2021. I haven't resubscribed lately so I'm assuming it changed because of the new monthly format.
Old 09-19-19, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 214 Likes on 189 Posts

I've lately been getting e-mails from "Entertainment Weekly" to renew my subscription with a deal for $8 for 22 issues (regularly $10). My reconfigured sub ends in Feb of 2021. I see a similar deal if you click on the "subscribe" link on EW's website (which connects to "The Magazine Store", which seems a little hinky). Of course, they're using the new "TV Guide" math, where each issue is a double issue, so you're only getting 11 issues.
Old 09-19-19, 08:26 AM

I don't know exactly what happened with my subscription but since they went to monthly, I am now subscribed up until 2032. I don't know if either of us will last that long.
Old 09-20-19, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Yeah, mine bumped up to 2029 with the reconfiguration.
Old 02-09-22, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

It was announced today that Entertainment Weekly is ending as a print magazine. They'll still be online though.
Old 02-09-22, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by windom
It was announced today that Entertainment Weekly is ending as a print magazine. They'll still be online though.
Along with InStyle, EatingWell, Health, Parents and People en Espaņol. April issues will be the last.
Old 02-09-22, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Are they going to refund the print subscribers? I'm subscribed through 2023....
Old 02-09-22, 02:46 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy?
Are they going to refund the print subscribers? I'm subscribed through 2023....
sounds like they are going to convert people to digital subs
Old 02-09-22, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PerryD
sounds like they are going to convert people to digital subs
I paid specifically for a print edition so I'm going to email them and get a refund.
Old 02-09-22, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 898 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy?
I paid specifically for a print edition so I'm going to email them and get a refund.
Of course they're not going to refund you. They've got your money now, so good luck getting any portion of it back. They'll fight you and say the can't refund, since they're still "sending" you a worthless digital edition of their rag. What a gyp.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.