Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon Prime membership increasing from $99 to $119 on May 11th

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Amazon Prime membership increasing from $99 to $119 on May 11th

Old 05-04-18, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
Re: Amazon Prime membership increasing from $99 to $119 on May 11th

While I never calculated if I spend $120 a year in gas going to B&M stores in a year to obtain the same products I purchase from Amazon, the gas and time involved does work in my estimated calculation for Prime in context.

In addition, if I am truly attempting to get my perceived best price then I may spend even more $$ comparison shopping driving between B&M to find the lowest price potentially returning to a previously visited B&M to make the final buying decision. (My wife and I used to do that years ago.... Hours and hours along with miles and miles).

We used to do our grocery shopping at multiple stores to ensure we received the best lowest sale price - coupons, etc. Then one say we realized we were wasting time and gas running around. So we locked in on the best overall location and do 99% shopping there. We only go elsewhere if our chosen place is out of something to doesn't actually carry it. In the end we actually spent less and for sure less time.

I have friends and family members who drive about an hour away to do grocery shopping because they pay less on their bill. I asked if they considered their gas and time. Nope. The gas is already in the tank so they gave it little thought. What about additional wear and tear on vehicle. No thought. In the end they paid about the same as if they just shopped at the local grocery.

My point is the following. Logically evaluating each person's perspective can produce support for -or- again paying for Prime. So for each person's decision, be sure to include all data in the calculations to determine if it works or doesn't work for your individual requirements.

If it does, then pay it. If not, then don't.
Old 05-04-18, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle
I'm willing to try and look at it logically. For most, it seems the value that they get from Amazon Prime is time savings, and convenience.

If I was going to sign up for Prime, I'd need to order 120 packages a year to break even. It probably costs Amazon only a dollar a parcel, as they're obviously receiving steep discounts from the USPS, UPS, et al (most likely they ship for pennies on the dollar compared to the rest of us peons).
Logic is already failing you. The cost to Amazon is irrelevant. You should be comparing the cost of shipping from any other retailer where you would purchase the same goods, and if they would deliver to you with the same speed. Or compared to the time and gas needed to physically go to a store in person.

All of the rest of the "perceived value", eg streaming, etc is garbage. Their streaming service wouldn't be garbage if they actually offered content at 80 to 100 mbits / sec instead of the ~15 mbps that they stream 4k content. So, they've actually lowered the bar on quality for high-definition content. This is to keep *their* bandwidth costs down. They're not your friend there, either.
Again, you're fixated on Amazon's delivery rather then the content. Since consumers have clearly shown the preference of content and convenience in streaming over the highest quality. "Garbage" is such hyperbole. If you're so fixated on bitrate and quality, then you would be buying UHD and Blu-ray rather then streaming anything at all. The price of Prime broken down per month is similar to other streaming services, such as Netflix and Hulu, without counting the value of the other services Prime offers. And for some, Amazon offers some unique shows exclusive to their service that many find worth paying to see. (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is an excellent show, btw)

I'm still on the hook for sales tax, so that savings is now gone. That value is gone, which amounts to an extra 8.75% in my state. I loved the days when Amazon didn't charge tax, I was much, much more loyal to them then. Instant 8.75% savings over any B&M. No more, since they have a "business presence" in all 50 states now, it seems.
Fair complaint, but same with buying at any B&M and many other retailers, other then a select trustworthy few online. Amazon is no longer the price leader in many items, such as home media, but for my shopping purposes they're still a one stop shop for finding the odds and ends that aren't readily available in stores, and they've been cheaper for me for various home items, small electronics, and books. Maybe you don't shop enough regularly for these kind of items, but I certainly do.

So, what's left? Unless I ordered a package every three days (now at the $120 / year rate), there's really no extra value in Prime. That is, Amazon *still* would make a profit off my Prime membership unless I ordered that frequently.
Just because YOU don't use these services, others may find use in the free books offered via Prime or Prime Music. Those that do shop a lot get use out of the cheaper 1 day shipping then any other retailer out there at $3.99, there's often items that you can get same day shipping on, or heck, choose the shipping option that gives free credit towards other items. Why should I care if Amazon makes a profit?

Now, many of you probably order more than 120 Amazon packages a year (ie, the 'fanboys' I refer to), but unless I become physically incapacitated and / or homebound, there is no extra "value" in Prime for me. Most of you probably think you're getting a "great" deal, but it really isn't, becuase Amazon stacks the deck in their favor.
Again, you're so concerned about what Amazon and other businesses are getting because "GREED!!!" I don't care if Amazon profits, all I care is if my money is going towards services that either 1) end up saving myself money in the long run or 2) is worth the added convenience factor. The bluetooth earbuds I just bought from Amazon are cheaper and better then the options I can get at Best Buy. Same with the wireless phone charger I purchased for my wife. Or the dog food I order using subscribe/save over buying at PetSmart. Or the last minute accessory my wife needed before going on an overseas trip a couple weeks ago. So maybe it's not a "great" deal for you based on your purchasing habits, but there's also straight up price savings over equivalent B&M stores for me and I imagine many others.

Originally Posted by b2net
My point is the following. Logically evaluating each person's perspective can produce support for -or- again paying for Prime. So for each person's decision, be sure to include all data in the calculations to determine if it works or doesn't work for your individual requirements.

If it does, then pay it. If not, then don't.

It's fine if someone doesn't find value in Amazon Prime. I posted earlier I might be nearing that point with the price increases. For others, Amazon's shipping might just be terrible in their city (it's been near perfect for me). But it's not hard to see how many people do use the many services that Amazon Prime offers and is valuable rather then calling any user of the service a fanboy or sheep. That's just being willfully ignorant.

Last edited by fumanstan; 05-04-18 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-04-18, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Again, you're so concerned about what Amazon and other businesses are getting because "GREED!!!" I don't care if Amazon profits, all I care is if my money is going towards services that either 1) end up saving myself money in the long run or 2) is worth the added convenience factor.
Right, it makes no sense to compare the cost of out of one's pocket to whether Amazon is making a profit. Who cares? Well, zyzzle does because he wants to Stick It to The Man, but we have no idea how much it costs Amazon to provide Prime services so it's useless to speculate about it. We should just weigh our $119 against the value we think we're getting. If the value is more than $119, then pay for Prime. If not, don't.
Old 05-04-18, 12:59 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I order from Amazon on a semi-regular basis, but always felt that Prime was a waste of money. I typically will wait until to bundle several items together in an order in order to get free shipping.

And, now that the price is going up even further, I feel it's even more of a waste of money.
Old 05-04-18, 01:44 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

Zyzzle is a forum treasure. Completely delusional, but fun sometimes. I probably get $300 worth of stuff out of Prime every year, and that isn’t even counting the shipping benefits, time convenience, or Prime Video that we watch every month. The monthly free books, free PC games, and digital credits add up fast.
Old 05-04-18, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Zyzzle is a forum treasure. Completely delusional, but fun sometimes. I probably get $300 worth of stuff out of Prime every year, and that isn’t even counting the shipping benefits, time convenience, or Prime Video that we watch every month. The monthly free books, free PC games, and digital credits add up fast.
The majority of prime members are in the same boat as you. Just looking at the shipping alone, I made 38 prime shipping orders last year. Each one got "free" 2 day shipping. If I paid the full nut for prime, that would work out to $2.63 per order. That is a bargain for 2 day shipping to anyone in their right mind. Of course that wouldn't make Zyzzle happy. Since I only pay 1/3 of the prime cost, since I split it with two other people, my cost per order is only $1.05. My guess is Zyzzle would still be bitching about prime at those costs as well.
Old 05-05-18, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 895 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
Since I only pay 1/3 of the prime cost, since I split it with two other people, my cost per order is only $1.05. My guess is Zyzzle would still be bitching about prime at those costs as well.
No, I wouldn't bitch about a person figuring out how to use Prime so efficiently as you have. I commend you and the 2 other savvy people you share the account with; even in my admittedly harsh and stringent conditions under what I consider "breaking even" you've gone above and beyond that.

It's those families, for example that have 4 seperate Prime memberships ( = $480 spent per year), each member of which orders perhaps 10 packages a year between them that Amazon clearly profits from. And they think they're getting value, but are really quite deluded themselves.

OK, guys you're all convincing me a little more about how you are getting "value" out of Prime, and believe it or not, I do appreciate the elaboration on how you are finding intangible value (ie, savings in time vs money) in it, and do accede the point.

For now, I shall simply say, different strokes and Amazon may actually provide a great service for some in Prime, but it just isn't for me, and I don't believe in blind acquiesence to it.

Good night, and good luck to all Amazon lovers.
Old 05-05-18, 11:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheDude
I order from Amazon on a semi-regular basis, but always felt that Prime was a waste of money. I typically will wait until to bundle several items together in an order in order to get free shipping.

And, now that the price is going up even further, I feel it's even more of a waste of money.
My feelings, too. I'm not currently capable of streaming and would never pay extra for 2-day shipping, so Prime offers me nothing. Not interested at $99 and even less interested now.
Old 05-06-18, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by zyzzle
No, I wouldn't bitch about a person figuring out how to use Prime so efficiently as you have. I commend you and the 2 other savvy people you share the account with; even in my admittedly harsh and stringent conditions under what I consider "breaking even" you've gone above and beyond that.

It's those families, for example that have 4 seperate Prime memberships ( = $480 spent per year), each member of which orders perhaps 10 packages a year between them that Amazon clearly profits from. And they think they're getting value, but are really quite deluded themselves.

OK, guys you're all convincing me a little more about how you are getting "value" out of Prime, and believe it or not, I do appreciate the elaboration on how you are finding intangible value (ie, savings in time vs money) in it, and do accede the point.

For now, I shall simply say, different strokes and Amazon may actually provide a great service for some in Prime, but it just isn't for me, and I don't believe in blind acquiesence to it.

Good night, and good luck to all Amazon lovers.
Which family has 4 memberships? That is just ridiculous. If that is your argument that prime isn't a value for anyone, then you are just deluding yourself.
Old 05-10-18, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't forget, new price starts tomorrow. I just gifted myself a 1 year membership to lock in one more year at $99. So I'll redeem that in July once my membership is up.
Old 05-11-18, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by jjcool
Which family has 4 memberships? That is just ridiculous. If that is your argument that prime isn't a value for anyone, then you are just deluding yourself.
Missed this, but yeah that would be bizarre. I'm also sharing the shipping with other people based on the old plan, but even now you can share with another family member for all the benefits for free. I don't know why a family under one roof would need multiple subscriptions.
Old 05-11-18, 07:24 AM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Don't forget, new price starts tomorrow. I just gifted myself a 1 year membership to lock in one more year at $99. So I'll redeem that in July once my membership is up.
Yeah, I just checked and they at some point did update my account page to show the higher $119 price when it renews, although curiously I've still not been informed by Amazon about this, in fact I still wouldn't know if I hadn't been watching this thread. Has anyone else been informed directly?
Old 05-11-18, 07:49 AM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

Phew. Luckily my Prime renewed on May 9th. It now shows the new price for 2019 when the time comes.
Old 05-11-18, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just received this in an e-mail from Amazon

"Dear Prime Member,

Thank you for being a valued member of Amazon Prime. We are writing to you about an upcoming change to your membership.

The price of the annual Prime membership increased from $99 to $119 on May 11, 2018. Your renewal on July 11, 2018 will be at $99. The new price will apply to your renewals starting July 11, 2019."

Anyone else get this?
Old 05-11-18, 09:51 AM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Yep, was just now informed.

Dear Prime Member,

Thank you for being a valued member of Amazon Prime. We are writing to you about an upcoming change to your membership.

The price of the annual Prime membership increased from $99 to $119 on May 11, 2018. The new price will apply to your renewals starting August 6, 2018.

Prime provides an unparalleled combination of shopping and entertainment benefits, and we continue to invest in making Prime even more valuable for our members. We have expanded Prime Free Same-Day and Prime Free One-Day delivery to more than 8,000 cities and towns and we will keep expanding. The number of items eligible for free two-day shipping increased in recent years from 20 million to more than 100 million items. Members also enjoy unlimited streaming access to millions of songs and thousands of movies and TV shows, including popular and award-winning Prime Originals.

No further action is required. You may manage your Prime membership anytime by visiting Your Account.

Sincerely,

Your Amazon Prime Team

Gotta love the "no furthur action is required" part at the end.
Old 05-11-18, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slybone
Yeah, I just checked and they at some point did update my account page to show the higher $119 price when it renews, although curiously I've still not been informed by Amazon about this, in fact I still wouldn't know if I hadn't been watching this thread. Has anyone else been informed directly?
Last night it was still showing the $99 fee. This morning it was upped to the $119. I have yet to be notified by Amazon.
Old 05-11-18, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

I just renewed last month @ $99. Not sure if I'll be paying $119. Amazon will need to have a better Prime Video lineup and...the USPS needs to stop fucking with my packages.

I guess my days of buying one thing here and there will no longer happen, and I'll just find stuff for $15 or over, and use Netflix. If Amazon had their own personal delivery service, I wouldn't have much of a problem, but when you contract out the shittiest and basically the only delivery system around...the choices I have are minimal.
Old 05-11-18, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I got the email today at around 2 PM PST
Old 05-11-18, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

Got the email today at about 5PM CST.
Old 05-12-18, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My email came through at 8:09 EDT..
Old 05-13-18, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 447 Likes on 305 Posts

Got my e-mail 2 days ago:

"The price of the annual Prime membership increased from $99 to $119 on May 11, 2018. Your renewal on June 12, 2019 will be at $99. The new price will apply to your renewals starting June 11, 2020."
Old 05-13-18, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TheBang
Got my e-mail 2 days ago:

"The price of the annual Prime membership increased from $99 to $119 on May 11, 2018. Your renewal on June 12, 2019 will be at $99. The new price will apply to your renewals starting June 11, 2020."
For me, no such luck on the $99 renewal this year much less next year also... Mine switches right away...

"The price of the annual Prime membership increased from $99 to $119 on May 11, 2018. The new price will apply to your renewals starting July 17, 2018."
Old 05-13-18, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,188 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Yeah, mine doesn't renew until the end of November so I'm fucked.
Old 05-14-18, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For any of the prime members that don't have a renewal date until after the price increase, can you renew early and pay the lower price?
Old 05-14-18, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts

I got notified on the 12th.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.