Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon Prime membership increasing from $99 to $119 on May 11th

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Amazon Prime membership increasing from $99 to $119 on May 11th

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-18, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,185 Likes on 4,213 Posts
Re: Amazon Prime membership increasing from $99 to $119 on May 11th

Originally Posted by jjcool
For any of the prime members that don't have a renewal date until after the price increase, can you renew early and pay the lower price?
You could have bought a gift membership for yourself prior to the 5/11 price increase and then redeemed it later, but of course that would have been scamming the company.

Old 05-14-18, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
You could have bought a gift membership for yourself prior to the 5/11 price increase and then redeemed it later, but of course that would have been scamming the company.

They've stopped that loophole. Now all you get is a credit in the amount that can be applied against your Prime membership balance.
Old 05-14-18, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I got notified on the 12th.
Same here. Unreal.
Old 05-15-18, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker

I assume you are referring to the fact that you are actively scamming Moviepass by buying tickets to movies that you have no intention of seeing just to give a big "FUCK YOU" to moviepass.

Two things wrong with your answer. First, as PhantomStranger pointed out, your answer is flatout wrong. Second, is that you didnt answer the question that was asked, so your post is totally useless. Perhaps you didn't understand the question as asked.

It is pretty telling that when asked a straightforward question you respond with a way to scam another company though.

Last edited by jjcool; 05-15-18 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-16-18, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I mentioned the gift membership back in post # 60, the day before the new price change. It worked perfectly. I was charged the correct price and everything. And I scheduled the delivery date three days before my membership ends. So yeah, I'm surprised more people didn't do the same.
Old 05-16-18, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't consider gifting yourself a membership scamming Amazon.

That said, I didn't do it because I believe I read that it would remove the grandfathered in sharing of shipping that I currently still use (shipping shared with 4 people opposed to sharing all Prime features with one family member).
Old 05-17-18, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I mentioned the gift membership back in post # 60, the day before the new price change. It worked perfectly. I was charged the correct price and everything. And I scheduled the delivery date three days before my membership ends. So yeah, I'm surprised more people didn't do the same.
Be aware there are reports of this not working. Some that did this are saying that rather than getting a "year of prime" they are getting a $99 credit to use towards a year of prime. They are still on the hook for the other $20.
Old 07-08-18, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Don't forget, new price starts tomorrow. I just gifted myself a 1 year membership to lock in one more year at $99. So I'll redeem that in July once my membership is up.
Just wanted to follow up. I did this today since our membership expired and it worked just fine. We were not asked to pay the difference.
Old 02-03-22, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Amazon is raising the price of annual Prime memberships to $139

New York (CNN Business)Amazon is raising the price of its annual Prime subscriptions from $119 to $139 per year in the United States, the company announced along with its earnings report Thursday. The price of a monthly subscription will also increase from $12.99 to $14.99.

The company said it is increasing the price because of "expanded Prime membership benefits," such as added Prime Video content and expanded free same-day shipping, as well to compensate for the rising costs of labor and transportation in its distribution network. The move comes as prices for just about everything — from food to energy — have gone up in recent months. Amazon (AMZN) also said last year that it had raised wages for thousands of workers.
The company last raised prices for Prime in 2018, when it bumped the annual membership up from $99. The latest price hike represents a 17% increase.
The change will go into effect on February 18 for new Prime members and after March 25 for existing members.

The Prime price hike wasn't the only major news in the report. The company's profits also doubled during the December-end quarter, to $14.3 billion, blowing past Wall Street analyst expectations. The huge jump in profit was due largely to the company's accounting for its investment in electric vehicle company Rivian Automotive, which had a massive IPO in November.

And while the company posted operating losses in both its North America and international e-commerce business, its biggest profit driver, Amazon Web Services, reported a nearly 49% increase in operating income, to $5.3 billion.
Overall sales from the quarter were up more than 9% from the year-ago quarter, to $137.4 billion, just shy of the $137.6 billion analysts had forecast.
Amazon shares jumped more than 17% in after-hours trading following the report Thursday.
Old 02-03-22, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 898 Likes on 722 Posts

Amazon being Amazon. Par for the course, a 40% price increase in less than four years. Bezos can fuck himself, for he's out of my game for years now.

Prime is about the biggest ripoff around, since you're now also forced to pay tax as well as play Amazon's stock-market games with changing prices like a caddywompus yo-yo. Local shopping is becoming better and better. You're no longer "saving" anything at all with Amazon, in fact you're now paying essentially a 'convenience' premium to shop Amazon over local shops.
The following users liked this post:
Alan Smithee (02-04-22)
Old 02-03-22, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Bezos needs the money to pay for his new super yacht and the cost of temporarily dismantling an historic bridge to get it out of the harbor where it is being built.
Old 02-04-22, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Glad I recently paid my annual.
Old 02-04-22, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

I'm actually kind of surprised that Amazon keeps their streaming service and free shipping club under the same "Prime" program. I would think that they could charge something $9.99/month or $99/year for each one.

Then again, there really isn't a lot of good original content on Amazon Prime's streaming service. With The Expanse ended, I think the only thing I'm interested in is The Boys and Lord of the Rings series. And maybe the next season of Good Omens. Sure as fuck ain't worth $99 a year, let alone $139.