Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Avoid the new FYE website!

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 02-24-18, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not that many people shop there anymore, but for those of you that still do, you may have noticed that FYE has recently revamped their website in a big way.

Firstly, their new site totally deemphasizes physical media and really pushes tacky, overpriced merch that they seem to have come to love, even moreso over the past few years. Not shocking, but sad nonetheless.

UPC search is gone. You want to find a particular version of a movie or CD you want? You'll have to find the one(!!!) result for it, go to the product page and select the edition you want from there - it sounds easy and similar to Amazon in theory, but nothing is updated. Some editions of movies even use the VHS cover as their art on the site! With some CDs it's slightly better, with the front and back artwork scanned in so you can see which edition you're getting, but not all of them have this, so you're just sort of forced to guess and choose by price. Product details show nothing - no UPC, no details about what is on that particular edition.

As far as customer service goes, it's even worse. In the past I've never had any real issues with TransWorld's customer service (like SecondSpin). It's not as fast as, say, Amazon, but any time I've had an issue it's always been resolved relatively quickly. Well, FYE has changed their customer service so it's different from SecondSpin. Now when you send FYE an e-mail it is seen as a "request", and once you send it you get an e-mail confirming your "request" has been approved and that someone will get back to you shortly.

I placed an order two weeks ago and paid with PayPal. It was a small order, just one item, but MINUTES later I got an e-mail saying that my order had been canceled. No explanation, but I just assumed that it was actually not in stock (it's a used item, these things happen). I waited for my refund to show up and it never did. Not in my PayPal account and not credited to my FYE account. I waited it out a few more days (7-10 business days just in case) and decided to e-mail them earlier this week asking about it. My "request" to contact them was approved but nobody has replied to me.

As much as I hate to say it, this is it for me. I've been a loyal customer to FYE for years and you'd think with their revamped site and new method of customer service the issue should have been resolved by now.
Old 02-25-18, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 301 Posts
Re: Avoid the new FYE website!

I'm surprised there are any loyal FYE customers.
Old 02-25-18, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by TheBang
I'm surprised there are any loyal FYE customers.
I may have been the only one left. Since my movie and music collection is so big I'm always weeding out and I typically trade in stuff to them that doesn't go for much on places like eBay. I take the store credit and usually their site or SecondSpin has okay deals on used stuff so I tend to breakeven a lot.

I tried filing a claim with PayPal twice and got an error message on both tries. So shady.
Old 02-27-18, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Ha, I thought they went out of business.
Old 02-27-18, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FYE overpriced everything. I never will understand how they stay in business.
Old 02-27-18, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard
FYE overpriced everything. I never will understand how they stay in business.
That's why I never buy anything new from them. They're definitely struggling to stay in business - as indicated by the fact that their big focus nowadays seems to be tacky, overpriced merchandise. I wouldn't mind if it was quality stuff, but it seems like most of it is crap.

I ended up finally getting a response and a refund. It took them a week, but I'm glad to be done with them.