Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy to Stop Selling CDs Effective 7/1, Target Pushes Away CD & DVD Industry

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Best Buy to Stop Selling CDs Effective 7/1, Target Pushes Away CD & DVD Industry

Old 02-08-18, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Best Buy to Stop Selling CDs Effective 7/1, Target Pushes Away CD & DVD Industry

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
I think what killed the market for them was a stauch refusal to drop prices on new and catalog releases: new releases were $15 or so 20 years ago, and they're still nearly that expensive in stores now. Absolutely NO single-disc new release should be more than $10 ever, and catalog stuff should be $5 at the most.
Agreed. Unless it's release week, it's nearly impossible to find a brand new single-disc album for under $11.99 - $13.99, which is a little steep, but better than the $16.99 - $19.99 you used to have to pay.

I will say, Sony had the right idea with their CMG / SBME Special Markets lines, it's just a shame they started doing it too late in the physical media game.
Old 03-07-18, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Best Buy to Stop Selling CDs Effective 7/1, Target Pushes Away CD & DVD Industry

Originally Posted by randian
16/44? The last couple of years I've been buying almost all of my music in 24/96 or better.

There's no evidence that people can tell the difference between redbook CD and 24/96. In fact, the couple of studies done on it suggest it is virtually impossible for people to notice the difference. There's one where they downrezzed SACD --> cd quality and no one could tell the difference beyond the margin of error, except for at ridiculously loud decibel levels (and if I recall that was just one or two people).

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=14195
(full study is behind a paywall these days but I read a big piece of it years ago).

The only real difference was that mastering tended to be better on the hi-rez audio formats vs the loudness war thing going on on most CDs.

I haven't seen a true study on high-rez compression vs CD, but from blind test results I've seen on the internet, I imagine it is similiarly almost impossible for most people to tell the difference between mp3 and CD above say 256kbps or so.

CD audio was a really well-thought out standard.

Wikipedia summary of the study:

In September 2007, the Audio Engineering Society published the results of a year-long trial, in which a range of subjects including professional recording engineers were asked to discern the difference between SACD and a compact disc audio (44.1 kHz/16 bit) conversion of the same source material under double blind test conditions. Out of 554 trials, there were 276 correct answers, a 49.8% success rate corresponding almost exactly to the 50% that would have been expected by chance guessing alone.[40] When the level of the signal was elevated by 14 dB or more, the test subjects were able to detect the higher noise floor of the CD quality loop easily.

The authors commented:

Now, it is very difficult to use negative results to prove the inaudibility of any given phenomenon or process. There is always the remote possibility that a different system or more finely attuned pair of ears would reveal a difference. But we have gathered enough data, using sufficiently varied and capable systems and listeners, to state that the burden of proof has now shifted. Further claims that careful 16/44.1 encoding audibly degrades high resolution signals must be supported by properly controlled double-blind tests.
I ripped all of my CDs to 320kbps mp3 years ago and dumped them. Rarely touch them though since I have google music/youtube red for the family and that is easier. Except for my LOTR extended edition soundtracks and a few other classical tunes I tend to throw on my phone.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 03-07-18 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-07-18, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
I ripped all of my CDs to 320kbps mp3 years ago and dumped them.
Disc space is cheap, so I ripped all of mine losslessly (FLAC/ALAC). I'd love to know what sources were used for that AES test. High frequency content, and things like cymbals which produce a ton of higher-order harmonics, are most noted for audible artifacts. It's a bit depth problem more than a sampling rate one. Red book content above 8kHz only has 3 bits (= 8 discrete volume levels) available for volume. An 8 volume spread in 96db of dynamic range is far too granular.
Old 03-07-18, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Old phone so not much space for music, but just got a car with a USB port so I should try the flash drive thing.
Old 03-13-18, 02:15 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

To be honest, I'm not sure that this news will matter to most people - or that most will even notice. I myself like CD's & still collect them to some extent (typically older bands from the '60's - '80's), but don't remember when the last time was that I actually bought a CD in a store - it's been years. I usually get them via Amazon.

I always found CD's at brick & mortar places like BB & Target to be overpriced - plus, the selection there sucks. They only carry new titles & I'm only into older bands/albums.

I used to patronize a local store that exclusively sold used & new CD's, but they went under about 5 years ago - not surprising. Too bad, since they had an amazing selection.

The important thing to remember here is that companies will not be stopping CD production completely - just that less brick & mortar stores will carry them.

The news that most new cars don't have CD players these days is disheartening. I do have an older car & it does have a CD player, which I enjoy listening to while driving (I haven't gone digital yet). That being said, this is not surprising & is just a sign of the times.

It's interesting that back in 2001 I had to pay extra $ to have a CD player included in my then-new car. In 2008, my then-new car came with a CD player that I didn't need to ask for. And, my next car probably won't have a CD player at all. Progress

Last edited by TheDude; 03-13-18 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-13-18, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Since I have all my CDs losslessly ripped, in my car I stream iTunes Match via Bluetooth instead of playing CDs.