Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

R.I.P. Toys R Us

Old 06-29-18, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: R.I.P. Toys R Us

I saw a blurb on the news while at Jack In The Box today that talked about Toys R Us going out of business...was today the day and all the stores are officially shut down?

So I googled before I decided to hit post and yeah...it looks like today was the day.

Wow...JeffTheAlpaca just beat me to the bunch. That image has gone viral.
Old 06-29-18, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw some pics today on another site about some guy who left a TRU with nearly $2K in merch and only paid about $25. Everything was 99% off.
Old 07-01-18, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Jon2 View Post
Saw some pics today on another site about some guy who left a TRU with nearly $2K in merch and only paid about $25. Everything was 99% off.
Pics? Can't believe that. If true, they must have been down to the dregs of the dregs, and that merchandise probably wasn't even worth the $25.
Old 07-02-18, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Toys R Us Twitter banner on closing day

Old 07-02-18, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I went in the third-to-last day and actually managed to snag a pretty cool Darth Vader action figure for 80% off. I think someone had hidden it and I discovered it by accident.

There was basically nothing left in the last two weeks but toys no one wanted, even for a $1.
Old 07-02-18, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was at the TRU by my house on the second to last day and they had a shelf with about 500 WWE Becky Lynch dolls (the Barbie style ones) on it and was selling them for $2 each. I don't think I'm exaggerating with that number, I may even be under estimating. I'm not sure how a single store even ended up with that many of the same doll. Perhaps just indicative of the ineptitude that led to their demise?
Old 07-02-18, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
I was at the TRU by my house on the second to last day and they had a shelf with about 500 WWE Becky Lynch dolls (the Barbie style ones) on it and was selling them for $2 each. I don't think I'm exaggerating with that number, I may even be under estimating. I'm not sure how a single store even ended up with that many of the same doll. Perhaps just indicative of the ineptitude that led to their demise?
I visited three different locations in the final month and each one had a multitude of the female WWE figures.
Old 07-02-18, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sure, but what was strange about this is that there was only Becky Lynch and none of the other girls. No reasonable person would have ever expected them to be able to sell that many Becky dolls. Why did they have that many? I should have taken a picture of it, it looked so ridiculous.
Old 07-02-18, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
Sure, but what was strange about this is that there was only Becky Lynch and none of the other girls. No reasonable person would have ever expected them to be able to sell that many Becky dolls. Why did they have that many? I should have taken a picture of it, it looked so ridiculous.
That store probably received a truck full of stuff out of a warehouse somewhere
Old 07-03-18, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Pics? Can't believe that. If true, they must have been down to the dregs of the dregs, and that merchandise probably wasn't even worth the $25.
I think it might have been posted on Bored Panda. There were several photos of the carts of stuff the guy had, the checkout, his receipt, and his car full of stuff.

I went back and searched there (and all the image-centric sites I typically visit), and couldn't find the post, so...
Old 10-03-18, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Toys R Us may live on

Old 10-03-18, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Screw them, they took that tax break, gave bonuses to the top, and sent the rest packing.

Wonder if they plan to go online only like circuit city.
Old 10-03-18, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Circuit City didn't go online only. Circuit City went out of business, and the name was bought out of bankruptcy by a completely different company and slapped on a website.

That's kind of what I expected to see happen with TRU as far as the name being bought out of bankruptcy and used by another company (which would maybe even open some smaller stores in malls and such), but this is totally different. They cancelled the auction to sell off the assets and are attempting to give it another go (not sure what exactly that means at this point though).
Old 10-03-18, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How is that legal? If another company bought the name, I understand they wouldn't be responsible for any of the debt, but if they keep it and use the brand, don't they still have to pay their debtors back?
Old 10-03-18, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can't say this is much of a surprise. The toy industry would loose so much money without a TRU, or at least some toy store to house the majority of their wares. I hope it does come back though because not just the Toy industry but people in general need Toy's R Us.
Old 10-10-18, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

https://comicbook.com/2018/10/09/toy...freys-toy-box/

There were also reps from the company at the event, and they said that the plan is to open several locations under the Geoffrey's Toy Box name by November of this year. The early launch was described as a "shop-within-a-shop" concept, where they will set up within other larger stores. Which stores that would include were not mentioned.
Old 11-02-18, 09:58 PM

In case anybody wondered what happened to all the merchandise Toys R Us sent back...

And if you've never had the experience of shopping at an Ollies, my condolences.
Old 11-04-18, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

www.usatoday.com/amp/1857111002

As Kroger stores around me are closing up shop, Kroger’s takes on the concept ...

Toys R Us' Geoffrey is back: His 'toy box' will be featured at Kroger this holiday season

CHARISSE JONES | USA TODAY | 14 hours ago

The Toys R Us mascot is the face of Geoffrey's Toy Box, a collection of brands that will be featured at nearly 600 Kroger-owned grocery stores this holiday season.

That means shoppers wanting Imaginarium play sets or You & Me dolls will be able to get them to tuck under the tree even though Toys R Us closed up shop in June after failing to restructure under bankruptcy protection.

“We’re excited to offer Geoffrey’s Toy Box this holiday season to provide our customers with the opportunity to purchase a selection of toys once exclusive to Toys R Us,” Robert Clark, Kroger’s senior vice president of merchandising, said in a statement.

This marks the debut of Geoffrey's Toy Box, a venture by Toys R Us' one-time lenders who held onto the toy giant's corporate brand names and intellectual properties, including its iconic mascot, Geoffrey the giraffe.

A mix of 35 toys, costing from $19.99 to $49.99, will be for sale at various Kroger-owned grocery stores, including Ralphs, Smith's and Fred Meyer, as well as the Kroger namesake chain.
Old 11-05-18, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
How is that legal? If another company bought the name, I understand they wouldn't be responsible for any of the debt, but if they keep it and use the brand, don't they still have to pay their debtors back?
The brand name is just another asset that gets sold off.

It's like what happened when Twinkies went bankrupt. A guy bought the good parts: the brand name, the factories, and the delivery routes. He did not buy the debt or the union contracts.

He fired a bunch of people, reduced wages, changed the recipe to extend shelf life, and got rid of a lot of delivery routes.

Twinkies are still for sale under new ownership. The new owner doubled his money. Retired employees who were relying on pensions or lifetime medical are SOL.
Old 11-05-18, 09:42 AM

...What?
Old 11-05-18, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
The brand name is just another asset that gets sold off.

It's like what happened when Twinkies went bankrupt. A guy bought the good parts: the brand name, the factories, and the delivery routes. He did not buy the debt or the union contracts.

He fired a bunch of people, reduced wages, changed the recipe to extend shelf life, and got rid of a lot of delivery routes.

Twinkies are still for sale under new ownership. The new owner doubled his money. Retired employees who were relying on pensions or lifetime medical are SOL.
I understand that (and I see now that the way I worded it was ambiguous). But if the same company keeps the brand and reopens shop, how is that legal? I thought they'd at least have to feign a change of ownership, which isn't what seems to be happening here.

So new owner, no obligation, they just bought the assets, but the old owner resurrecting everything within a year, that seems really shady.
Old 11-05-18, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
www.usatoday.com/amp/1857111002

As Kroger stores around me are closing up shop, Krogerís takes on the concept ...
I'm not sure this is going to work out that well. Pretty much every chain is going all-in on toys this Christmas shopping season because of the bankruptcy. I'm seeing chains even like Tuesday Morning wildly expand their toy offerings.

Some of these gambles aren't going to work out.
Old 11-05-18, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A couple of key points that most people are missing (from the article posted above):

“We’re excited to offer Geoffrey’s Toy Box this holiday season to provide our customers with the opportunity to purchase a selection of toys once exclusive to Toys R Us,” Robert Clark, Kroger’s senior vice president of merchandising, said in a statement.

This marks the debut of Geoffrey's Toy Box, a venture by Toys R Us' one-time lenders who held onto the toy giant's corporate brand names and intellectual properties, including its iconic mascot, Geoffrey the giraffe.

A mix of 35 toys, costing from $19.99 to $49.99, will be for sale at various Kroger-owned grocery stores, including Ralphs, Smith's and Fred Meyer, as well as the Kroger namesake chain.

There isn't going to be a toy store inside the grocery store ... there are only 35 items being made available and those appear to have been TRU exclusive items that they couldn't return to the vendors. At best it is one bay of an aisle; more than likely it will be a standalone display in the floral area.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.