Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Privatebuy debit acct = new credit card?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Privatebuy debit acct = new credit card?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-00, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got this email from the "makers" of webcertificate: "Did you know you can buy whatever you want on the Web anonymously?
You can if you shop with PrivateBuy!
PrivateBuy is the first & only debit account to provide:
1. Anonymity when shopping
2. Security & Privacy
3. WebWide, Universal Acceptance
4. Confidence in online shopping
*************************************************************...etc..
I'm sure many also received this email; I read the FAQs and here are some important points to consider:

(From the FAQ)

What is PrivateBuy.com?
PrivateBuy is the first private debit account to give people the freedom to buy goods and services safely, confidently and anonymously anywhere on the Web.

PrivateBuy provides:

Ultimate Protection. Never again reveal your name or credit information when you buy online! Protect yourself from identity theft and credit card piracy.

Anonymity. You're unidentifiable and unknown to marketers, merchants and unscrupulous advertisers.

Confidence. Purchases are kept private and off credit card statements, providing peace-of-mind to buy whatever you want!

Universal Acceptance. It’s your private online debit account. Stores recognize and accept it as a MasterCard.

Trust. We guarantee that your personal information and online purchases remain 100% private. Proven technologies and safeguards ensure you're protected at all times.

How much does PrivateBuy cost?
Signing up and shopping anonymously with PrivateBuy is free! There is a nominal service fee of $3.95 every time you add funds to your account. This is the only fee associated with PrivateBuy.

Can I sign up for more than one PrivateBuy account?
No. Just one PrivateBuy account per person.

Can I use PrivateBuy.com if I'm outside of the United States?
Yes...on the following conditions:
1. That the credit card you use to fund your PrivateBuy account is issued by a US-based bank.
2. That the store you're buying from is a US-based merchant.
3. That the billing address you submitted at Sign Up is a United States address.

Basically if you sign up, you'll get a new 'mastercard' Just thought this would be useful or helpful to some people.

And no, I don't work for them.

Mods, please transfer this post if needed. I just thought this would be a good heads up for dvd bargains..thanks

Old 10-04-00, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Probably better in On Line Store forum
Old 10-05-00, 10:43 AM
Banned

Interesting.. It appears to be webcertificate like, except that you use a fake name and billing address when you buy something. Details: https://www.privatebuy.com/learnmore2.asp

Charge to use: $3.95 every time you add funds to the account.

[This message has been edited by Otto (edited October 05, 2000).]
Old 10-05-00, 08:54 PM

For Merchant purposes, this is basically a credit card, but for shoppers, it's really a stored value account that you have to fund. But at $3.95 a pop, it seems pretty steep. There are lots of new services popping up that will not share your personal information with Merchants, such as my company, Achex.