Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Paypal - Dispute 2 transactions at once?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-17, 01:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an Xbox from a guy on a forum. He did some custom shit, but he fucked it up. Now I sent it back (for the 2nd time) and he's claiming he's broke, just started a new job etc. I haven't decided how long I'm going to wait around, but it looks like Paypal disputes move slow as fuck anyway. 20 days before I can escalate it to a claim? I might as well file now, so that's all the time he gets. Problem is it's 2 transactions for the same thing. Half up front and half when the job was done and he shipped it. Not sure if just copy-pasting the same dispute info with explanation is good enough or not, assuming Paypal even lets you file on both.
Old 11-18-17, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Paypal - Dispute 2 transactions at once?

You may have to call PayPal customer support directly.
Old 11-19-17, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

That sucks.

Be persistent with the claim. Do what they tell you.

They'll attempt to draw money from his account. But, through their normal dispute process, they won't force his account into the negative in order to pay you back. If he has $2 in there, they'll give you that $2. They may also attempt to draw the money from his checking account, which, if authorized, will get you your refund (and leave his checking account in the negative if need be).

I hope you paid with a credit card. If so, you'll be able to call your credit card company and dispute the charges. That can force his account into the negative and get you your money back.

If you do dispute with your credit card company, it's going to be slightly tricky, as "services" have different rules than "goods" when you're opening a dispute. For example, if you bought an XBox and he didn't deliver, that is "goods not delivered". If he modded your Xbox, and you're unhappy with the service, that gets a little trickier.

Contacting PayPal direct works, too. If you're persistent and won't take "no" for an answer, they'll sometimes give you a freebie just get you off the phone.
Old 11-19-17, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Also, whenever doing transactions like this, always switch to pay with a credit (not debit) card. A PayPal balance, debit card, or checking account transfer is much harder to force out of their hands if the transaction goes bad.
Old 11-19-17, 10:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
That sucks.

Be persistent with the claim. Do what they tell you.

They'll attempt to draw money from his account. But, through their normal dispute process, they won't force his account into the negative in order to pay you back. If he has $2 in there, they'll give you that $2. They may also attempt to draw the money from his checking account, which, if authorized, will get you your refund (and leave his checking account in the negative if need be).

I hope you paid with a credit card. If so, you'll be able to call your credit card company and dispute the charges. That can force his account into the negative and get you your money back.

If you do dispute with your credit card company, it's going to be slightly tricky, as "services" have different rules than "goods" when you're opening a dispute. For example, if you bought an XBox and he didn't deliver, that is "goods not delivered". If he modded your Xbox, and you're unhappy with the service, that gets a little trickier.

Contacting PayPal direct works, too. If you're persistent and won't take "no" for an answer, they'll sometimes give you a freebie just get you off the phone.
I bought an Xbox that he modded, and yes, paid by credit card.
Old 12-08-17, 12:01 PM
Banned

FUCK! Paypal decided this wasn't covered for some stupid fuckin reason. Now if I go through my credit card company and get banned from Paypal (I assume they'd ban me), how hard is it to make a new account? Just need a different email or what?