Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Express.com going under??

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Express.com going under??

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-00, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’ve had major problems with recent orders - not turning up, lousy customer service (actually I’ve always had lousy customer service there) and now I read here that it‘s not just me. Anyone else?

<small>FWIW I wouldn’t miss them</small>
Old 09-22-00, 07:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've only had a couple of orders w/ them recently and I haven't had any problems w/ those. I have noticed though their preorder list isn't as complete as it once was, also the number of preorders that carry over from week to week does seem to be getting longer. I had thought it was something w/ the distribution (since it would always seem that Buy or someone else was having the same problem w/ the titles as well), maybe not though.

All I can say is I hope they hand around atleast until 28 Nov (Better Tomorrow 1 & 2 on preorder )
Old 09-22-00, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Time for you to jump ship to somewhere else!

------------------

"Your reaction is better than I had hoped....."

Legato Bluesummers - TRIGUN
Old 09-22-00, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It would not surprise me....especially with losing part of their customer base from the recent price hikes on their site!!!! I guess we will see!!!!

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/dvd_list.a...46%40aol%2Ecom

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 09-23-00, 05:27 PM

Since the death of Reel, I placed eight pre-orders with Express, some large, some small. The first of these was placed June 20 and was to ship September 5. It shipped September 11.

Now I am awaiting a title that was to have shipped September 19.

I emailed a complaint with the first late order, and got a $5 coupon.

I emailed a complaint with the second late order, and got another $5 coupon and a thin but meaningful explanation that follows below. The conclusion is yours to make.

"We apologize for any inconvenience this situation may have caused. I can confirm that recently we have received titles late from the vendors."

------------------
Do you see what a can of worms this portal is? I don't think I can go on living my life as I have lived it.
Old 09-23-00, 08:52 PM

I have occasionally placed orders with Express and have had few problems.

But I can't understand why anyone would want to deal with them:

1) Discounts are going down (come on, 15% on instock items?)

2) No coupons

3) Shipping costs are ridiculous--charging for multiple discs in a set (Does SOUND OF MUSIC really cost an extra buck to ship?) and charging per shipment, not per order .

I did write a formal letter to the president pointing out all of the above and he didn't even dignify me with a response!
Old 09-24-00, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Their preorder list which is usually kept up to date is still showing titles from Sept 5th....this use to be updated every week usually around the end of the week!!!!

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 09-24-00, 02:37 PM

This morning I switched over pre-orders for 20 titles to DVDEmpire. I saved over $40 on the disks alone + more on the shipping. I hope DVDEmpire lives up to the recommendations I got on them.

I had sent Express an email asking about some pre-orders that have been delayed on their part (others are shipping the same titles) and their response was that they had yet to receive them from their suppliers. They did ship an already-released title they had in stock. This certainly raises the possibility of cash-flow problems - they can't put out the $ for new stock.
Old 09-24-00, 02:47 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I actually was defending express.com until I realized that their delay in shipping The Omen was limited to their site alone. I had heard that all retailers were having problems, so I have been patient since 9/5 waiting for the disc to come.

Then, I found the disc for sale at 800.com with copies in stock. In addition, their price for this now-current title was cheaper than the price express had for it at pre-order!

I still have some orders open at express, but I'm watching them carefully.
Old 09-25-00, 04:17 AM

Started going down hill when the merged with the other company. Just shows diversification isn't the best for all online retailers!
Old 09-25-00, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by joechaos:
Started going down hill when the merged with the other company. Just shows diversification isn't the best for all online retailers!<HR>

I agree...Game Cave was a mess to begin with....not sure why Express thought merging with them would be a good idea!!! What a shame!!!!

------------------

Barney Fife
Old 09-25-00, 12:59 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Groucho:
I actually was defending express.com until I realized that their delay in shipping The Omen was limited to their site alone. I had heard that all retailers were having problems, so I have been patient since 9/5 waiting for the disc to come.

Then, I found the disc for sale at 800.com with copies in stock. In addition, their price for this now-current title was cheaper than the price express had for it at pre-order!
I still have some orders open at express, but I'm watching them carefully.
<HR>

I'm still waiting on my Omen Box Set from Buy, so it must not be just an Express problem.

------------------
-Jason
My DVDs
My Adult DVDs

[This message has been edited by Jason Reynolds (edited September 25, 2000).]
Old 09-25-00, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep, I'm still waiting for my element of crime. They've been the most reliable onliner since the end of reel(for me) but maybe those days are over. Already do most of my ordering at buy.com now.
Old 09-25-00, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>I agree...Game Cave was a mess to begin with....not sure why Express thought merging with them would be a good idea!!! What a shame!!!!<HR>

I would guess that part of the reason they merged with gamecave was so that they would have plenty of money.

Pandesic's 'wind down' could be causing their problems: http://www.pandesic.com/default.htm

------------------
-Steph
Adult DVD Price Search
Old 09-26-00, 12:13 AM

Cripes, I got my Omen Box set from Amazon over a week ago - and I'm international!!!
Old 09-26-00, 02:36 AM
Hoc

I'm still waiting on my Omen set from DVDJam, and not even an email in the last 3 weeks, since the original email that said it would be delayed and I could cancel if I wanted.
Old 09-26-00, 03:01 AM
Cool New Member

Yep, they have definetly gone done the pan, my last order never turned up, I have had loads of problems with refferal coupons and they wont even ship American Pie to the UK!!

They were a lot better when they were DVD only.
Old 09-26-00, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Hoc:
I'm still waiting on my Omen set from DVDJam, and not even an email in the last 3 weeks, since the original email that said it would be delayed and I could cancel if I wanted.<HR>

Unless you used a coupon or gc, I would cancel Hoc......I thought they had already closed up shop!!!!

------------------

Barney Fife
Old 09-26-00, 06:04 PM

Yeah, I'm waiting on my Omen box set as well from DVDJam. I've sent multiple emails with no replies. I don't mind the delays, but when I ask for a status, the least they could do would be to email me a reply. Even if it didn't give me much more info.
Old 09-26-00, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hoc,

I think I remember witin the last month or so that DVDjam had gone under or about to.

I might be wrong but I cant remember seeing an advertisement for them in awhile that I used to see often.
Old 09-26-00, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

go to dvdjam and try to add an item to your cart - you will find your answer.
Old 09-26-00, 09:28 PM
Cool New Member

Sigh, all the deals and low prices are drying up, and will continue to do so as retailers go under. =*(

------------------
niceFire - Bread, Skiing, Shooting, Fresh for you
Old 09-26-00, 11:49 PM

More bad news about Express.com. They have remove Leon, The Professional from their site.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/018394.html

Old 09-27-00, 12:51 AM
Hoc

quote:<HR>Originally posted by djones6746:

Unless you used a coupon or gc, I would cancel Hoc......I thought they had already closed up shop!!!!

<HR>

I would, but I don't know anyone else selling the set for $34.80, so I guess I just have to wait.
Old 09-27-00, 04:09 AM

Well... if http://euro.dvdexpress.com/ is any indicator then Express.com is not doing fine. Coming attractions list starts from June. Of course it is possible that delayed movies just don't new date, but looks suspicious.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.