Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

What is "Customer Service"?

Old 09-24-00, 03:11 PM

I'm bringing this over from a thread in the DVD Bargains forum that has gotten off-topic.

The issue is mis-pricing. Recently, several online retailers have accidentally offered items at what is clearly the wrong price. Now, I'm not talking about pricing a $30 item at $15...I'm talking about items that are discounted $70 or more due to obvious errors.

What happens in these situations, of course, is that somebody posts about it in the DVD Talk forum and the feeding frenzy begins. Most people only buy a copy for themselves, others buy multiple copies in order to make a profit at ebay.

When the etailer finally notices the mistake, they have a number of options. One of these options is to apologize to those who have ordered it and give them the opportunity to either take the real price or cancel. The other option is to bite the bullet and let those orders that have slipped through slip through. Note that I am talking about preorders here, so nobody has been actually charged for anything here. Note also that these sites always have a disclaimer that gives them the right to correct the price before charging the customer.

The issue I have is that people get very upset when the company doesn't let them get away with the "deal." They rant and rave and talk about going to the BBB and other similar places. (Although I wonder if they'll give the full details to those organization). They claim that not honoring the price is bad customer service and that they'll never shop at the etailer again (when the only reason they were there in the first place was to cash in on the ludicrously low price).

Myself (and others) say that this is not the case. This is not a situation where the etailer advertised "Come on in and get this item at $xx.xx!" and then jacked up the price. This is a situation where folks were tipped into the "deal" and ordered the item knowing full well that they were ripping the company off.

If I were an etailer and had somebody screaming at me because I didn't let them come in and rape my merchandise, I would say "Fine! I don't want customers like you anyway!" For me, customer service is about getting things right within reason, and not about letting your profits go completely down the toilet in the name of "customer loyalty" (which we all know is non-existant on the Internet anyway).

To close, I am not trying to villify those who participate in these "deals." If you get in on one of them and it works, great! Enjoy your disc(s). However, if the company decides not to let you get away with it, don't crucify them.

Please note that the other thread I took this from turned into a flame war. Let's try to keep the discourse intelligent and friendly and avoid personal attacks in this one.

------------------
I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine.
Old 09-24-00, 03:46 PM
Banned

Well said Groucho!
Old 09-24-00, 04:22 PM
Banned

Namja,
With 2402 messages posted in just under 11 months, I can see you have NOTHING better
to do with your time!!! That's around 8 messages posted EACH AND EVERYDAY!!!
Seems to me you spend your time doing nothing but looking for bargains?? or
on-line businesses to screw!!! Seems
to me you still have NOT graduated from
your so-called LAW or BUSINESS school!!
Time to grow-up Namja!!!
Old 09-24-00, 04:24 PM
Banned

Namja,
With 2402 messages posted in just under 11 months, I can see you have NOTHING better
to do with your time!!! That's around 8 messages posted EACH AND EVERYDAY!!!
Seems to me you spend your time doing nothing but looking for bargains?? or
on-line businesses to screw!!! Seems
to me you still have NOT graduated from
your so-called LAW or BUSINESS school!!
Time to grow-up Namja!!!
Old 09-24-00, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i think you got the wrong thread BILL and you call 8 messages posted a day, a lot? Okie dokie...
Old 09-24-00, 05:24 PM
Stealth Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Vash:
i think you got the wrong thread BILL and you call 8 messages posted a day, a lot? Okie dokie...

Thanks for your support Vash, and I'll make this post non-personal.

Amazon.com spent $413 million in last year in marketing. That's up from $133 million in 1998 and $40 million in 1997. 800.com spent over $30 million in the last 9 months of 1999 in marketing.

If they spent their money on customer service and honoring the mis-prices, their marketing will be that much more effective. Despite what people may say about the lack of customer loyalty in e-commerce, it exists. You, as a bargain hunter, may not be loyal to specific stores, but a vast majority of e-consumers shop only at a limited number of shops. Most DVD Talkers seem to have a higher priority on price than service, but that is not the general consensus. From the top 10 most important criteria that shoppers look for in e-shops, 9 of them (such as ease of ordering, product information, on-time delivery, customer support) relate to service while price is just 1 criterion.

E-commerce should be careful of who they piss off. The ONLY reason that the airline industry got stuck with the "Passenger Bill of Rights" that the Congress passed last year was because one of the airlines pissed off a congressman. Airline customer complaints had jumped 115% last year, but only after the incident with the congressman did the Congress do something about the airline industry.
Old 09-24-00, 05:26 PM
Hoc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think there is a certain "customer service" value to honoring mismarks. Legally, the ability to cancel an order whose price is confirmed with an email is a gray area. But from a customer service standpoint, even online, it has some value.

For the last year, I have placed the majority of my online orders through Amazon. Not only because I usually get the best price from them, but because early on, when there were some mismarks like "The Insider" (which I never got) and the Tom Clancy and Full Force DVD sets, they honored the mismarks at the rate of one per customer.

I felt, in light of Amazon's history, that I could rely on the fact that, if I saw a price at Amazon and passed up another similar or cheaper price elsewhere, I would get my order at the agreed price. Similarly, when DVD Empire fulfilled the Classic Monster Collection orders at the agreed price, I felt that here was another etailer whom I could trust.

In addition, even the one time Amazon did not honor the mismarks ("Bloody Thursday" -- 9/7), at least Amazon did not accuse its customers of fraud or duplicity while suggesting that it was blameless, like Buy.com did in its "reign of terror" a couple of months ago. Ditto for DVD Empire with the Foxworthy sets, who just discontinued selling the sets rather than suggesting that its customers were evil.

This attitude that the customers are not "the enemy" goes a long way in my choosing where to shop online.

Does that mean I will pay $40 at Amazon or DVD Empire for a disc I can get elsewhere for $25? No. But I would pay $30 at Amazon or DVD Empire versus $25 at CD Universe, CD Now or Buy.com. In addition, when I have ordered books online, I have ordered them from Amazon rather than from Barnes & Noble.com. Moreover, if I am going to buy an item and even if it is available online for a few dollars cheaper than at the B&M store, I will buy it online from Amazon. Yet, if the choice is a few dollars cheaper at CD Now versus getting it at a B&M store, I will go to the B&M store. So, while brand loyalty is not as strong online as offline, it is still there.

I have paid a dollar or two more at 800.com for DVDs because I know that I will get them quickly and without any hassle (and with popcorn).

Frankly, when Amazon refused to honor the September 7 deals, I was disappointed and it has tarnished Amazon's image in my eyes somewhat. As a result, the disparity in price that I am willing to tolerate between Amazon and another etailer has shrunk as a result of that.

So, the long and short of it is, in answer to your question, yes, customer service means honoring online pricing whether it is a mismark or not. And it does make a difference in an etailer's attraction of profitable customers as well as just those who take advantage of mismarks.
Old 09-24-00, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I believe the reason Groucho started this thread was to hold a civilized and reasonable discussion. Let's try to keep it that way .

Anyway, I am one who does not feel that the e-tailer should have to suck it up and take thousands in losses for these isolated mistakes.

One of the arguments made in the other thread was that an e-tailer should honor the mis-price "just like a B&M would". The situation with a B&M and an e-tailer are vastly different.

Typically in a B&M, a customer happens across a mis-price and makes the purchase (usually one or two copies so that they are not so conspicuous as to alert the cashier and have the deal killed). Either the cashier notices that the price is wrong, alerts management and the deal is honored or killed. Either way, the price is changed immediately in the computer. Total losses <$100 max.

With an e-tailer, a mis-price is known by thousands within minutes. Some order one, some order many. Since orders are placed without the benefit of humans who would catch the fact that "The Insider" is not really selling for $0.00, many go through undetected. (Believe me, if you went up to a register at Best Buy with the Insider and it rang up at $0.00, you would not leave the store with a free DVD (or perhaps 50 free DVDs). Anyway, within an hour, the e-tailer has potentially lost hundreds of thousands of dollars if they honor the deal. Most of the time, they cannot afford to lose that much and cancel. It is a perfectly understandable business decision. Anyone who doesn't understand this has never run a business before. As long as an apology is given for my inconvenience I will certainly continue to shop there. Anything more is "gravy".

This is not bad customer service, it is business pure and simple. Customer service is taking the time to ensure that I get what I want to purchase in a timely fashion at a reasonable price (with good manners and understanding). Nothing more.

[This message has been edited by moocher (edited September 24, 2000).]
Old 09-24-00, 05:50 PM
Stealth Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by moocher:
I believe the reason Groucho started this thread is to hold a civilized and reasonable discussion. Let's try to keep it that way .

One of the arguments made in the other thread was that an e-tailer should honor the mis-price "just like a B&M would". The situation with a B&M and an e-tailer are vastly different.

moocher makes a very good point. The circumstances are vastly different. But still the e-tailers have well within their means to monitor such things. Amazon.com had $1.6 billion in gross sales last year. 800.com had $24 million in net sales for the last nine months of 1999. It is well beyond their means to monitor their shopping carts, such as disabling any item that is $0.00 to be put in the shopping cart, or any item that is more than say 75% off or $50 off or any criteria that they choose.

Because B&M is really different from e-business, there should be different standards as moocher points out. But big companies such as amazon.com or 800.com should be held to much higher standards than smaller ones.

------------------
Defender of the Other Forum
Old 09-24-00, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Moocher is correct. In fact would you rather deal with a simple email from amazon telling you about their mistake,and that you have the option to pay full price or cancel, or deal with many a***oles in B & M stores that accuses you of sticker tampering or something when it was clearly an employee misprice or computer error? I have seem many ripped up by managers at places like Tower records, Targets, futureshop, K MART, warehouse, Toys'r'us, because a innocent person walk up to a register, and the price doesnt ring up the price tag, turns out a new employee goofed the price, or the price shows cheaper then the already reduced sticker price, do they honor it most of the time? NO!

Or I went ot EB, they had OGRE BATTLE priced at 9.99, I took it to the counter, it rang up 29.99, I said the sticker said 9,99, the employee got a pen, crossed out the 9.99, put 29.99. half a year later, at another EB, they had FIFTH ELEMENT for 14.99, I took it to the counter, it rang up 29.99, I said the sticker said... the guy just removed the sticker, didnt apologize, gave me a stare!

They usually give the customer a evil or suspicious stare, or you get a lecture. Even in grocery stores, I see food with mold, I tell the clerk, do I get a thanks? nope, I get a evil stare. When I was a teenager, I worked at a grocery store, i noticed their entire selection of milk was 5 days old. I told the manager, he told me to throw it all away all by myself since it was you who discovered it, the milk stank, then that night, I was fired for making them "lose" their milk supply for the day! They needed a fall guy, tomake a example in front of a crowd, a 15 year old kid was it!

Or I saw as sale sign at Suncoast, it said The WB and MGM titles 5 off. I brought some to the cashier, the cashier said "nope, the ones with the sticker ONLY". I said " but the sign hints ALL mgm and WB", the clerk said nope I am wrong. Not even a apology. But I was made a example in front of other customers.

Did any of us gotten that evil stare, or accusation from Amazon? Nope. Or Chapter for the PSX2 fiasco? no. Buy.com kind of, but you must remember, and I am NOT going ot get into a argument with this, the coupon said 50 off 500, NOT 50 off 50, you WOUNT get away with this at a B & M store either.

In fact at a Target, they had PSX games for clearence, 3.99, but was priced at 9.99. I try to buy 2 of each with intent to pay 9.99, but it rang up 3.99 (great gift for my brothers kids and my kids) BUT when the cashier, a 18 year old kid, noticed it, he told me to wait, he called the maanger, was speaking to him like WAYNES WORLD,and then a real young kid shows up, says TARGETS policy is one per item on clearence item (which isnt true, by the way. I asked another TARGET later). So I could only buy one a piece. I did, then I returned back to that department 10 minutes later, all the clearence games, all 50of them, was gone. There was a funco next door, and next day I talked to the manager there and he told me TARGETS manager came in and traded it all!

So my point? when there is a bargain, or a mistake bargain, when it is dealing with actual human in physical state, like cashier, manager, etc, it is ALOT worse that what Amazon or Buy did.when buy and Amazon realized what happened, they took action.

Sure the bargain hunters didnt like the answer, but at least you didnt have to stare at them, or had them chew you out in front of many other people! when this happens at at a B & M store, they not only catch it immediatly,BUT someone will be the fall guy INSTANTLY, and it WOUNT be the employee or manager!

I am justs glad there wasnt a huge complaint for the chapter fiasco on PSX2. there was no way they could have honored this for not only is the price 3/4th off, BUT the odds of you even getting a PSX2 system full price or for 75 bucks before next year is slim to none!

[This message has been edited by salamander2 (edited September 24, 2000).]
Old 09-24-00, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Salamander2 also makes a good point that I touched on but did not expound upon. Many times B&Ms will not honor these mis-prices either and they stand to lose much less money than an e-tailer - usually only a few measly dollars or less!

BTW, I ordered the PS2 as well and had my order canceled. The only thing that put me out a little over that issue was that they never notified me or apologized. I had to log in and check order status to find out. Still, I did not complain. I certainly expected it to be canceled. This was one case where I wish namja's rules applied (honor the price for one per person) .
Old 09-24-00, 07:20 PM

quote:
Amazon.com had $1.6 billion in gross sales last year. 800.com had $24 million in net sales for the last nine months of 1999.

This statement is somewhat misleading, as it might imply to a layperson that these companies are making a profit. In fact, Amazon's net loss for the last six months was 625.6 million. Compare to Best Buy, who had a profit of 148.9 million. I couldn't find 800.com's information...are they traded publicly?...but I'm guessing that they are operating at a loss.

These numbers ain't chump change. My point? Best Buy can afford to eat a loss like their Bond set misprice. Online retailers cannot. I think we need to give these guys a break...this aren't Fortune 500 companies we are taking advantage of here.

quote:
Despite what people may say about the lack of customer loyalty in e-commerce, it exists. You, as a bargain hunter, may not be loyal to specific stores, but a vast majority of e-consumers shop only at a limited number of shops.

Good point...and who is honoring these outrageous misprices going to please? Why, the very "bargain-hunters" who aren't loyal to your site to begin with. Let's face it, these "deals" are online usually only for a day or so, and 99.9% of the people taking advantage are people who heard about it in a bargains forum like DVD talk's. The regular customers who just happen to see that price for the limited amount of time it is there are few and far between. By not honoring the price, the etailer is only alienating those who seek to hurt their company, and not the general populace who knows nothing about the deal.

I agree with namja 100% that etailers (as well as B&M companies) need to focus more on customer service. As legitimate deals dry up, good service will be all that distinguishes these companies any more.

800.com has a long history of good service, not just with me but with many other customers. You don't hear a lot about them on DVD talk because they don't offer a lot of coupons and their prices aren't the lowest. Now, a few people who are angry because they won't get James Bond Box Set #3 for $18 (when it was completely obvious from looking at the page in question that the price was for A VIEW TO A KILL only) are threatening to complain wherever they can about the company.

I don't think that's right. And I don't think that honoring a huge loss on this box set defines "good customer service." After all, B&M's don't cater to shoplifters, do they?
Old 09-24-00, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another point I forgot to mention about B & M stores. When was the last time they made a mistake on a order, and you come back either a hour after leaving, or even a day later? And that they refused to believe they rang you up wrong, or refuse to believe the employee accidently charged you twice, and that you are hiding the second one at home, or refuse to believe the wrong item was put in your bag? At least I had no problemw ith buy.com, reel, amazon on misshipped items, or lost packages.

Or when was the last time the drive thru at a fast food gave you the wrong stuff, and it was too late? Or refuse to believe you? Or didn't understand what you were saying due to lack to communication or through language barrier (I am not being racist here) so they gave you the wrong food? At least when you place an order on line, you are seeing with your own two eyes what you are ordering. B & M is sometimes not the best IMHO.

[This message has been edited by salamander2 (edited September 24, 2000).]
Old 09-24-00, 08:23 PM
Banned

Today I sent 800.com an e-mail wondering what was going on. Their response was to respond by simply cancelling my order completely. That is just plain wrong to do without some kind of explanation.

I truly did respect them until now.

------------------
The other 'E'
Old 09-24-00, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think that Groucho, moocher and salamander2 make very good points. I was going to post a similar thread but was having some difficulty in composing my comments.

First let me say that like many of the others here I have tried to take advantage of these miss priced items that have occured lately as well as some of the ones that occurred in the past. However like a lot of people here I did not expect them all to be honored and was not to bothered when some of them were not. I am npot trying to point the finger at anyone in particular or trying to flame anyone with my next comment. I think this is a clear case of hypocrisy (sp?). On the one hand people expect the retailers to honor these miss pricings knowing they are just that and not caring about the effect it might have on the retailers business, and on the other hand when the retailers refuse to honor these miss pricings they get all upset and threaten to take leagal action. In other words it's OK for you to rip the retailer off but it is not OK for them to "jip" (as some of you might think of it) you out of an obvious miss pricing.

Further more, all of you use the online retailers as a way to save money over B&M prices but at the same time get pissed off when you get a so called raw deal from them. If the online retailers started to honor all these mistakes they would all soon be out of business and we would have to go back to B&Ms to buy our DVDs and everything else. And as has already been mentioned B&Ms can afford to take a looss on the few people who may take advantage of a pricing mistake, where as the online retailers cannot neccessarily afford to eat the costs when thousands of people take advantage of their mistakes.

Granted sometimes the customer service provided by online retrailers could be better but that does give us an excuse to demand that they honor these obvious pricing mistakes. Some of you need to think long and hard on this subject and look at it from the retailers point of view and not just your own possibly selfish point of view, especially those of you ordering multiple copies of an item in order to make a profit.

Again I am not pointing the finger at anyone in particular, but trying to offer some constructive observations.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.

[This message has been edited by cloud (edited September 24, 2000).]
Old 09-24-00, 08:30 PM
Stealth Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Groucho:
This statement ("Amazon.com had $1.6 billion in gross sales last year. 800.com had $24 million in net sales for the last nine months of 1999.") is somewhat misleading, as it might imply to a layperson that these companies are making a profit. In fact, Amazon's net loss for the last six months was 625.6 million. Compare to Best Buy, who had a profit of 148.9 million. I couldn't find 800.com's information...are they traded publicly?...but I'm guessing that they are operating at a loss.

The $1.6 billion in revenues was not meant to imply a profit, but that they are a HUGE operation. Sorry if it was misleading. 800.com is not yet publicly traded, but they did register (S-1) with the SEC so that they can go IPO pretty soon. 800.com is not yet profitable.

One good thing about online stores is that you'll most likely get the same level of service regardless of where you live. For example, whether you live in California or New York, you should get similar service from amazon.com. This may not be true for B&M stores. A Wal-Mart in Arkansas may give much better service than one in Illinois. salamander2 had shared many mishaps at B&M. I have never experienced that.

My friend and I went through the Burger King drive thru and bought 2 whoppers and 2 fries. We asked them to put it in two bags (thinking 1 whopper and 1 fry per bag). My friend took one bag and I took the other. After dropping off my friend at school, I came home to find two fries in my bag. So I went back to Burger King (since I had no idea where on campus my friend would be) and told them what happened, and they gave me a whopper for free. This is the type of service that I am used to where I live. Perhaps I was partly at fault for not explaining what I wanted in each bag, but they were partly at fault for not being sensible, especially when they saw two of us in the car.

------------------
Old 09-24-00, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

While I agree with most of Groucho's points, I certainly would be a hypocrit if I criticized those who order these mis-priced items (since I am one of them). I don't feel I am "shoplifting" because sometimes (although admitedly rarely), these extremely low prices are for real. Also, sometimes they honor the low price (JB #3) even when it is a mis-price making the deal legitimate. I don't think it is up to me to determine whether the price is correct or not. That is the e-tailers responsibility. I'll order and if it is wrong, let them tell me and cancel.

Same holds true at a B&M. If I see T2 Ultimate priced at $2.99, I'll be the first one to try to buy it at the marked price. If the cashier tells me it is mis-priced, no harm no foul. How do I know they are not clearing it out or something. I've bought video game strategy guides for $0.01 at EB before. Cashier didn't bat an eye. The price was a legitimate clearance where EB was just trying to get rid of excess copies. I don't think I "shoplifted". I was just trying to take advantage of a deal like most on this forum.
Old 09-24-00, 08:59 PM
Stealth Moderator

quote:
I'll order and if it is wrong, let them tell me and cancel.

Yes.

I bought a Fischer surround sound set from 800.com about 6 months ago for $10, down from $100. That was the sale price and not a mis-price. 800.com also had a "3 DVD's for $1" last year, again a special promotion price, not a mis-price. So if I see something for ridiculously cheap, I'll put in an order. If it is wrong, then they can apologize and cancel the order.

I, for one, am not disappointed that the order was canceled, but by the way that 800.com dealt with the situation. Their e-mail made it sound like it wasn't their fault. All I wanted was a genuine apology.

------------------
Old 09-24-00, 11:15 PM
Banned

You guys seem to be missing one important point: ANY e-tailer is in business to make money, the way WE ALL attempt to screw them up with a misprice (AND YES, WE ALL BRAG ABOUT FINDING A GOOD DEAL AND POSTING IT ON CHAT FORUMS FOR EVERYONE TO SEE AND TAKE THEIR TURN TO ORDER, ADDING INSULT TO INJURY!!!)ensures that they DO NOT make money. Hello!!!! Anyone remember REEL.com????
The point I originally made was that if you guys find a GREAT price (misprice or whatever) and then it is obvious that you will not REALISTICALLY get it at that price,
JUST LET IT BE!!!!
At least that is the way I reason it, I am
the first one to admit to having ordered mispriced items, but hey, if the vendor, E-tailer or otherwise sees it is an abvious mistake and vendor is being screwed, I would
not blame that vendor if vendor refused to
fulfill order. END OF STORY.
And not all of a sudden, we end up with a ton of experts on consumer rights, marketing wizards, professional PRO's and what have you!
These have been my more than 2 cents on the subject, I am considering this as an end of conversation with most juniors in this forum!
Old 09-24-00, 11:40 PM
Banned

Retailers whether on-line or b&m must be held accountable for the price integrity at their stores.

I will not accept a "you ordered the wrong one..." explanation/apology. I want to hear that is is being honored. If a business loses the trust of their customers than a business they will not have much longer. I have trusted 800.com in the past when their deals seemed too good to be true. 3 dvd's for $1, that Fisher surround system for like $30 (true it's not that great, but a good price).

After this debacle I don't trust them anylonger and it will take quite some work for them to win me back as a customer.

------------------
The other 'E'
Old 09-24-00, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The way I see it, there has to be a meeting of minds in order for a transaction to take place. In order to order something over the net, I have to place the order at a agreed upon price using a credit card. If it turns out to be a misprice (as it has been in several cases with other users), the e-tailer has the option of A> Honoring the mis-marked price, B> giving the customer the option of ordering the product at the higher price or cancelling the order, or C> cancel the order alltogether. If the actual price turns out lower than expected, the e-tailer might extend the courtesy of shipping the product at a lower price to ensure customer satisfaction.

------------------
On E-bay, a fool and his money is soon parted.

Mark Holtz http://www.deepspacefranchise.net/
Old 09-25-00, 12:00 AM
Banned

and the e-tailer looks like a complete ass if they don't honor the price. That is the cost of business. If they can't keep the prices on their site correct than how am I able to trust them with my credit card info???

------------------
The other 'E'
Old 09-25-00, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am having a hard time understanding why people are so quick to let Amazon off the hook. It is perhaps more reasonable to believe that the timing and scope of "mispricings" at Amazon were deliberate than to believe that they were accidental.

Think about it. Based on my personal experience and what many other DVDTalkers say, Amazon has an incredibly good track record when it comes to shipping orders correctly and on time/as-stated. Sure there's the occasional snafu, but it seems to be much less frequent than other e-tailers. Amazon also has one of the most "mature" online sales systems around. (Mature as in battle-tested, enhanced over the period of a few years)

I find it hard to believe that an operation that runs as smoothly and efficiently as Amazon is so inept and error prone when posting prices on their site. If we are to believe that these are truly mistakes by Amazon, how come they do not take as much care with posting prices as they do with order taking and shipping? Why do these errors happen again and again?

...and why are nearly all of the mispriced items DVDs?! There have not been any reports of similar mispricings with CDs, Books, etc. Also, was Amazon's pricing experiment applied to other non-DVD items for sale at Amazon?

I really like shopping at Amazon, honestly I do. Their DVD descriptions are excellent, IMO...they were the only e-tailer to accurately describe the dozen or so different versions of Night of the Living Dead available. This helped me pick the right one (Elite). Their checkout screens are clean and easy to read. They have a very flexible Gift Certificate system. And lastly, their shipping is nearly always prompt.

But... I have little faith in the prices listed on their site. Every time I successfully place an order, I wonder if I will receive a "Dear John" email from Amazon stating that there was a pricing error.

considering what Amazon has admitted to (and only after they were caught) is it really that difficult to believe that any/all of the "mispricings" were deliberate?
Old 09-25-00, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

quote:
Originally posted by sracer:
...and why are nearly all of the mispriced items DVDs?! There have not been any reports of similar mispricings with CDs, Books, etc.

Wrong. There were a bunch of people at my coupons getting excellent deals/mis-prices on toys a few weeks back. I have heard of others getting deals on outdoor products as well. It's just I doubt there is a forum where exchanges run like..."Found this great deal on some charcoal...better hurry before it's killed."

quote:
...is it really that difficult to believe that any/all of the "mispricings" were deliberate?

Yes. Why would an e-tailer intentionally mis-price an item and then not "honor" the price??? Just to make customers mad?? I can't figure the logic in that!

[This message has been edited by moocher (edited September 24, 2000).]
Old 09-25-00, 03:03 AM
Stealth Moderator

quote:
Yes. Why would an e-tailer intentionally mis-price an item and then not "honor" the price??? Just to make customers mad?? I can't figure the logic in that!

True. That wouldn't make sense. But it's quite a coincidence that the supposed mis-prices happened right after they had the variable pricing fiasco.

My theory is that the mis-prices were indeed mis-prices, but it was an error caused by all the price changes that they were doing. Whatever program it was that they used to manipulate prices caused the glitch when the program was pulled.

------------------

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.