Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

The weirdness that is Amazon

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

The weirdness that is Amazon

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-00, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About a month ago I wanted to add an item to my order, the order was paid with GC so I couldn't combine it (wasn't aware that you can convert to CC then add and re-GC).

So I emailed amazon tech-support to add the item for me (they have done so in the past).

I never got any reply, but checking my order status I suddenly saw a new order (not a joined one) holding on the movie I ordered, but shipping was set to $0.99, so I didn't bitch and just let it run through.

Now, A month later I get the following:
---
Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your request. I
apologize for timing of this response.
---
Then the eMail goes on to give their usual cut & paste reply about combining orders...

I continue to scroll down the eMail and lookie here!
---
Here's your gift certificate:

Amount: $10.00
Claim code (YOU'LL NEED THIS WHEN ORDERING!): XXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX
Expiration date: 11/01/2000
---

While I'm not one to reneg on a GC, I don't see why one would be attack to this eMail.

It seems amazon's tech support is so confused now, they're giving away GCs on unrelated eMails.
Old 09-25-00, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Despite many blunders (some bad, some good), Amazon still leads the way when it comes to B2C e-commerce. The following is an excerpt from "The Amazon Way Is Still the Best Model For Web Shopping" by Walter S. Mossberg, The Wall Street Journal, September 21, 2000, B1, Column 1.

While Amazon.com is price competitive, it didn't get to be the Web's largest retailer, with 23 million customers, by having the lowest prices on all items all the time. It doesn't guarantee to match or beat others' prices. Instead, Amazon has won the loyalty of millions by building an online store that is friendly, easy to use and inspires a sense of confidence and community among its consumers. People trust Amazon, partly because it knows their tastes and does what it promises...

Because Amazon's prices are typically in the ballpark of the average online store, I have little incentive to go bargain-hunting at other sites where I'd have to learn a new interface, enter my personal and credit-card information, study a new privacy policy and hope to find the same reliability that Amazon offers.

------------------
Defender of the Other Forum
Old 09-25-00, 10:47 PM

Study a new privacy policy ?????

If you can accept Amazons privacy policy, you can accept ANYONES!!!!
Old 09-25-00, 11:07 PM

Same reliability?

I guess this article was written way back when... they didn't *test* price change algorithms.