Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Circuit City's coming back!

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Circuit City's coming back!

Old 02-01-16, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Circuit City's coming back!

I have fond memories of DVD shopping at Circuit City with my friend, including on Black Friday. More retail electronic stores is always a good thing, although I can't imagine this expands that much across the country.
Old 02-01-16, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3ckm9x_KKF8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-01-16, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts

DIVX Guy!
Old 02-01-16, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp
Was Circuit City the place where you picked out what you wanted, and then the back-of-store people sent the product out on a rolling conveyor belt?
I worked at CC almost 6 years...laughing hard at this thread about the smell! Checking with the wife (she worked there too), she said our stores were carpeted. I just remember the vinyl tile, that we had to clean before store visits. But I think smaller stores and less of a selection is the way to go, after visiting a BB this week.
Old 02-01-16, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

So it sounds like the best idea (besides not coming back at all) is to return with a different name.

The brand name is tainted based on all these negative stories in this thread.
Old 02-02-16, 07:13 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
So it sounds like the best idea (besides not coming back at all) is to return with a different name.

I think the number of people with Circuit City horror stories is pretty miniscule in the overall population. Even in a dedicated film site like this one, I doubt many people have negative opinions strong enough to not shop there.
Old 02-02-16, 08:34 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

If anything, maybe it'll spark some software/hardware pricing wars. I miss those days going from CC to BB looking for the best deals.
Old 02-02-16, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I once got asked if I wanted to buy a "protection plan" for some DVDs I was buying there, in case they ended up getting scratched. I laughed and told them they were asking the WRONG person about that since that never happens to my stuff!
The Wall used to do that with CDs at no extra charge. Of course everyone at my high school would go down to the local used bookstore, buy scratched up old CDs, put it into a jewel case with the Wall's "Life Time Guarantee" sticker on it and get a brand new copy.
Old 02-03-16, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Circuit City is certainly tainted based on my experiences with them, but this will be a new company selling the same kind of stuff (which I still like) so I'll give them a chance. I think the main thing is that by using their name, people will know what they sell there. I just hope they don't make the same mistakes and hire the same sort of idiots who worked there before- but hope they DO have tons of movies to buy because there's been a shortage of places to do that lately!
Old 02-03-16, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I didn't think they were really any better or worse than any of the other big box retailers at the time. The only expensive items I remember buying from them were Bose speakers in 1993 and a 36" CRT not long after. I actually still use them both for a retro gaming setup. Everything else were just DVDs.

I do remember that smell, though. It seemed to emanate from everywhere and nowhere at the same time, making it impossible to place.
Old 05-28-16, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
Wonder if Speedy will be more careful about posting ads.
Old 06-15-16, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wonder if Speedy will be more careful about posting ads.

I hope it works out for CC, but retail seems to be on the decline.
I killed them once but they keep coming back much like vampires!
Old 06-17-16, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I just hope I'll still be able to stand behind someone making a return while I wait to make a simple purchase.
Old 06-20-16, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

Or my favorite, walking around the store looking for an employee to assist me...only to find out he is playing video games at one of the displays.
Old 01-05-18, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts

Circuit City to Announce Official Company Relaunch at the 2018 Consumer Electronics Show on January 8th

Circuit City is set to announce official company relaunch at the 2018 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas on Monday January 8th at 3:00 PM PST during a special press event.

The iconic brand will relaunch with a new agenda of enhancing shopping experiences with cutting-edge technology.

Under new ownership, Circuit City will relaunch with a dynamic, social-focused e-commerce site, along with various concepts of innovative retail stores, and unprecedented e-commerce technology offerings.

At the CES event, Circuit City is expected to announce its official launch concentrated on the retail verticals of e-commerce, mobile, technology, omni-channel commerce.

The company is also announcing a partnership with IBM Watson commerce, which incorporates AI and other new retail technologies to its web platform.

After evaluating other options Circuit City selected IBM because of its aligned vision with AI and how this technology can ultimately transform how clients shop for electronics. The IBM web commerce platform will allow Circuit City to expand offerings for a personalized shopping experience and enhance the product discovery journey.

The new Circuit City leadership team consists of executives with experience across top-tier leadership companies. The relaunch will be lead by CEO, Ronny Shmoel, who brings vast retailing, e-commerce, and global sourcing expertise.

Additional details of the Circuit City relaunch and rollout plans to be announced at the press event. One-on-one interview sessions are available and currently being scheduled with Mr. Shmoel, and other members of the leadership team.

Circuit City is an iconic brand in the Consumer Electronic industry, established 1949 and relaunched under new ownership in 2016. Circuit City appeals to and

accommodates a vast range of customers from legacy Circuit City customers to Millennials.

For more information please visit CircuitCity.com.
Old 01-05-18, 07:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 01-06-18, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 447 Likes on 305 Posts

I'm sure it'll be just as successful and relevant as compusa.com is.

Edit: Wait, are they actually trying to launch some retail stores too? Good luck with that.
Old 01-06-18, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,188 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Hope they bring back DIVX!
Old 01-06-18, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
Hope they bring back DIVX!
Took the words right out my mouth

They should have a comeback slogan like "From the people that brought you Divx!"
Old 03-14-18, 10:17 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Not sure why CC is coming back, especially at a time when retail stores in general are either going out of business or down-sizing. What a stupid move. I will definitely never shop there.

I remember going there a couple of times in the early 200X's. I was not impressed at all. I wasn't surprised when they went out of business circa 2003-ish. I never liked the store that much to begin with. They reminded me of Service Merchandise, but more focused on electronics - and that's not a compliment.

Last edited by TheDude; 03-14-18 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-16-18, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 277 Likes on 231 Posts

That was Service Merchandise.
I think for certain items it was also a thing at CC, as I remember some stuff I bought during their BF sales arriving via the conveyer belt.

Also, I have mentioned this before in this very thread or elsewhere on DVD Talk that as others have pointed out they had the worlds slowest checkout line. It would look like I was at most behind maybe 12-14 customers and yet it would be around 45-50 minutes minimum to get to the cashier...good lord, that was insane.

At least they had so many great BF deals that you could care less if you missed out on their doorbuster camp out deals and still walk away happy with a bag full of goodies.
Old 03-16-18, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
Also, I have mentioned this before in this very thread or elsewhere on DVD Talk that as others have pointed out they had the worlds slowest checkout line. It would look like I was at most behind maybe 12-14 customers and yet it would be around 45-50 minutes minimum to get to the cashier...good lord, that was insane.
You went to the service desk at the front, right? They also had cash registers on the sales floor. You just had to flag down an associate and have them scan your stuff there.

I used to buy CDs at CC all the time (they were as cheap as Wal-Mart, but had a selection as good as the Waxy Maxy at the mall), and I only used the service desk a couple times.
Old 03-16-18, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
You went to the service desk at the front, right? They also had cash registers on the sales floor. You just had to flag down an associate and have them scan your stuff there.

I used to buy CDs at CC all the time (they were as cheap as Wal-Mart, but had a selection as good as the Waxy Maxy at the mall), and I only used the service desk a couple times.
I'm embarassed to admit this, but the first time I went to a Circuit City I picked up a CD and couldn't figure out how the fuck I was supposed to pay for it. They had no registers at the front of the store like every other fucking place I ever shopped at. They had a customer service desk by the CD area, but nobody was there and it was piled with boxes. Took me about fifteen minutes of confused wandering until I went to the customer service area by the conveyer belt to ask where the cash registers were.
Old 03-16-18, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
I think for certain items it was also a thing at CC, as I remember some stuff I bought during their BF sales arriving via the conveyer belt.
Yeah, if you bought something like a printer or VCR, they would put it onto the conveyer belt from the backroom and roll it out to you.

But the small things, like CDs, headphones, and video games and all of the other stuff that was easy to shoplift were left right out in the open.
Old 04-21-18, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also told the associates that DIVX was the worst idea of the worst ideas. Their prices were too high except for some sales. I did buy a few dvds from them, but the Best Buy rewards program always kept me away.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.