DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Advice needed concerning eBay seller (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/624241-advice-needed-concerning-ebay-seller.html)

rbrown498 12-23-14 10:30 PM

Advice needed concerning eBay seller

I purchased all of the X Files season sets several years ago in the slim cases. At the time, I didn't care that they'd dropped the extras discs from the majority of the seasons to fit them into the slim cases.

However, I decided a few months ago that I wanted to own the original releases with the bonus discs as well, so I've started picking up a season here and there.

I bought what was advertised as the 7-disc Season 4 from a seller on eBay. When it arrived today, it was the 6-disc version that I already have. I immediately initiated a return, printed out the return label, and shipped it back this afternoon. Here's what I listed on the return form:

Reason for return: Item doesn't match the listing

Comments: The listing stated that this was the 7-disc version of the 4th Season of X Files. I was ordering that particular version because of the seventh disc of special features. The item delivered to me was the 6-disc version, which is neither the version that I was looking for nor one that I need.

I received an email from the seller several hours after I had initiated the return, which said, and I quote it in full, "Waaaah! Waaaaah! Just send it back you big baby!"

My first thought after receiving this email was to reply and go medieval on him, but I thought that I'd take a slightly higher road and answered with "It's already on its way back to you, but I wouldn't have had to send it back if YOU hadn't listed it incorrectly. Nice response, by the way--it really speaks volumes about your integrity as a seller."

I haven't heard back from him yet, and I doubt that I will, but my question is this: What kind of feedback should I leave for him? On the positive side, the shipping was free, and the return shipping was prepaid. On the negative side, he incorrectly listed the item AND sent a pretty immature and tactless email. Do I rate the transaction neutral or negative? And what do I write in the comments, with only 80 characters to work with?

I would appreciate any ideas anybody's got about how to handle this.

Thanks!

EDIT:

I actually just heard back from him. Here was his response to my response:

"It really speaks volumes about how retarded you are for buying DVD's just for the special features. I wouldn't have responded sarcastically if your reason for the return wasn't worded so rudely. It really speaks volumes about your integrity as a buyer."

Any additional thoughts? Anyone?

DeanoBKN 12-23-14 11:01 PM

Re: Advice needed concerning eBay seller

I had a similar issue about a month ago. I purchased Saw 3D and it didn't come with the DVD copy. The seller failed to mention this in the listing, or I would never have purchased it knowing it was incomplete. The seller fought tooth and nail before finally giving me a refund. As much as I wanted to give him a piece of my mind, it's best to just take the high road. eBay can access all communication sent, so you don't want to say anything that could hurt your account, especially if you use the site to sell items.

PhantomStranger 12-24-14 12:26 AM

My feedback for the seller:

Incorrectly listed the wrong item and provided juvenile customer service.

Strapped4Cash 12-24-14 02:10 AM

I would have included something about "took no responsibility" if there was room for it, but otherwise you probably did all that you could do if you wanted to be on the safe side with ebay.

Of course some sellers are thieving, lying criminal scum, just like some buyers. I recently dealt with one on Amazon who advertised a "New & Factory sealed" DVD and sent one with no shrinkwrap and labels that had clearly been sliced open. Whatever I said to them they just gave the exact same copy and paste reply about how I could pay to send the item back and if it was in the same condition then they would refund me. And then they praised God. Repeatedly. Nothing really to do except ignore them and talk to Amazon, which I did.

rbrown498 12-24-14 09:05 AM

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

The seller has already refunded the purchase price, so that's a positive mark in his favor. I ended up leaving neutral feedback for him. Taking a cue from PhantomStranger, here's what I wrote: "Incorrect item sent; mistake fixed quickly. Poor attitude from seller, however." When it got to the detailed ratings, I gave him 2 stars on "Accuracy of description" and 1 star on "Communications from seller." I did give him 4 stars on "Speed of shipping," though.

I guess that the only thing to do now is wait to see what kind of awful feedback I get for leaving him that feedback.

Obi-Wanma 12-24-14 09:19 AM

^Buyers can't get negative feedback on ebay anymore. If marks it as positive and writes something nasty, ebay will remove it.

rbrown498 12-24-14 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni (Post 12343413)
^Buyers can't get negative feedback on ebay anymore. If marks it as positive and writes something nasty, ebay will remove it.

I didn't know this, Obi-Wan. Thanks for letting me know!

Josh-da-man 12-25-14 12:50 AM

This is one of the two reasons I stopped using eBay a long time ago: Sellers misrepresenting the things they're selling, either the condition or the actual item itself, and then getting bitchy when I complained.

The other one was the inability of many sellers to get the things I bought from them to me in the stated condition due to shoddy packaging.

DVD Josh 12-25-14 08:41 PM

Leave a negative, be truthful, move on.

Alan Smithee 12-26-14 02:31 AM

Guess I should be grateful for the recent experience I had getting the Samsung promo Shrek 3D set- seller listed it as "new and sealed" but I received one that was open, albeit looked like it had never been used. I sent them a note saying paraphrased- "Sorry to be a pain, but I'm an obsessive collector and bought this because you said it was sealed but it wasn't." They apologized and said they had several of these and sent the wrong one- then sent me a sealed set with a paid return mailer.

Worst experience I ever had was when I tried to buy the 3D Blu-Ray of Mars Needs Moms- someone had that listed and even specifically said it was the Canadian version with French cover, so I thought that's what I'd be getting. What I got was the REGULAR DVD! I sent it back and then I had to prod them to give me my refund, then they got all butt-hurt when I gave them negative feedback and somehow got Ebay to remove it later.

Paul_SD 01-03-15 09:42 PM

The seller was clearly an asshole. Phantom Strangers feedback suggestion was succinct and appropriate.
And even though the sentiment expressed is negative, since the mistake was rectified relatively quickly and efficiently, I would have given him a neutral rating or slightly positive. The end result is what is really important and you weren't out anything really not even shipping- though you were a bit inconvenienced. Could have been much worse for you though.

As primarily a seller myself, I have a lot of sympathy for what they put up with.
I just had to respond to someone who bought a pre-viewed (and pristine) disc two months ago and just now wants to return it claiming it jammed in his machine. -rolleyes- It's not always easy to tell who is returning something in good faith and who is just being an ass. Though yeah, his response were childish.