Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

My Video Rental Store Documentary (Full)

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-14, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

So, after months of working, editing, shaping, and getting the bugs worked out, here's my documentary on the 3 independent video rental stores where I live:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IF8mRefOejU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Please let me know what you think!
Old 10-02-14, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: My Video Rental Store Documentary (Full)

I spent from 1986 to 1999 working in video stores and haven't been in a video store in over 10 years so it brought back a lot of memories.
Old 10-02-14, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Good stuff. These sort of things fascinate me. When I was a kid, my city was flooded with rental places. I remember my grandfather and I driving from store to store, in search of certain titles. With the advent of dvd, most of those stores went away. As home media became more affordable for the average person to purchase, the small mom and pop places were first to close down shop. By 2008, we were down to a Blockbuster Video and a Hollywood Video. There was one independent store left, just over the border into Massachusetts. And now at this point in 2014, there are NO video rental stores anywhere nearby. The only options we have to physically rent a movie are Redbox and Netflix. It is pretty sad that those are our only choices these days.
Old 10-02-14, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

This would honestly get more play in the movie forum. Very few people even read this store forum.
Old 10-25-14, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

er months of working, editing, shaping, and getting the bugs worked out, here's my documentary on the 3 independent video rental stores

Old 10-25-14, 01:49 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fuck you.
Old 11-14-14, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Good job man. That was excellent. I miss the days of looking through the titles of what to rent. I remember my parents renting the VCR player when they were going out for a night and watching Revenge of The Nerds and Police Academy all in one night when I was around 14. Good times!
I love the nostalgia, I some times take my daughter to family video just so she knows what it's like to have all these movies to choose from rather than a vending machine.
Old 11-16-14, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Watched this a while back and have to say it was well done. Informative and sad to see these types of stores going away. I was reminded of this thread again because the last local rental place in the town where I live recently announced its going to be closing after thirty years in business. Honestly I've been expecting it and it was never really my rental place and I didn't go there too often but it is still a shame to see it go. It managed to stick around a bit longer than Blockbuster but the business is just dwindling. I'll probably go there for its closing sale to see if I can find anything interesting but its kind of a bummer to know there isn't a rental place in town that I can go in and browse around if I want to.