Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Anyone found Fantasia or Gladiator DVDs at Buy.com yet?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Anyone found Fantasia or Gladiator DVDs at Buy.com yet?

Old 09-05-00, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right now I'm anxiously awaiting the Fantasia box set, Gladiator, and Chicken Run which have been announced for November to show up on Buy.com for preorder, hopefully before the current coupons expire. If anyone finds these items before they show up in Buy's search engine, please post the URLs.

Also, it seems like a couple times people have posted URLs to new preorders on Buy.com, yet these items didn't show up when I used Buy.com's search engine. I don't know if I'm remembering wrong, or if preorders exist on their web page for a while before they show up in the search engine database. Does anyone know the answer to this? And if the answer is that there is a long delay before items show up in the search engine database, is there a trick to finding the items on their web page earlier? For instance, do all new DVDs get sequential (chronological) SKU numbers which you could guess at (not that I'd necessarily want to spend the time to do that)?
Old 09-05-00, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Gladiator hasn't been announced yet...
Old 09-06-00, 03:52 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Manzana:
I don't know if I'm remembering wrong, or if preorders exist on their web page for a while before they show up in the search engine database. Does anyone know the answer to this? And if the answer is that there is a long delay before items show up in the search engine database, is there a trick to finding the items on their web page earlier? For instance, do all new DVDs get sequential (chronological) SKU numbers which you could guess at (not that I'd necessarily want to spend the time to do that)?<HR>

I believe you are trying to apply logic where it is frequently absent. First, as a volume DVD consumer, I can attest that Buy.com is notoriously slow in committing to pre-orders.

Second, they frequently list things badly. For example, I was looking all over for a relatively obscure pre-order for the film entitled "Black and White." They appeared not to have it until I stumbled across the fact that they had it listed as "JTSBlack and White," referring to the director's initials at the beginning of the listing. I still don't know how I found it. For a while, I couldn't find Titan AE because I had the "A" and the "E" together. Most search engines would ignore the difference.

I'm not complaining. Buy seems to be the only place to get any sort of a deal, but their listings leave a lot to be desired.

------------------
Do you see what a can of worms this portal is? I don't think I can go on living my life as I have lived it.

[This message has been edited by Hal2000 (edited September 06, 2000).]
Old 09-06-00, 07:46 PM
Banned

Buy.com is the worst for listing preorders.
Old 09-06-00, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yup, Kenwood... buy.com does suck with their pre-orders; as well as giving information about the DVD itself.