Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

HORRIBLE CS from Best Buy

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 05-10-14, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only recently have I been shopping for CDs, DVDs and BDs at Best Buy again. I stopped about 2 years ago because their selection has significantly decreased and their stock is incredibly low.

Over the past few weeks I've been getting (mostly) new releases there because I find that the Reward Zone program is better and I like that you get a certain dollar amount off of a purchase / item after X amount of points accumulates on your account.

That being said, I went in the other day to buy a CD. I got out to my car, opened the CD and found that the second disc (it was a 2-CD set) had some cracks starting at the center of the disc. They didn't extend to the data area, but I obviously did not want to keep a cracked disc.

I promptly got out of my car, went back in, grabbed another copy of the CD and stood in line. First of all, at my Best Buy, the lines are very confusing. There's supposed to be two lines - one for Geek Squad and one for CS (which I didn't know since I've never had to make a return there). I stood in line and the guy behind the service desk (who was helping someone) asked me if I was here for CS or Geek Squad. I replied that I needed to exchange an item and he told me to "move back". Minutes later, the woman behind me asked the guy behind the counter if there's supposed to be two separate lines. He replied "Yeah, CS is here and Geek Squad is there. It's a little confusing since he sort of messed up the line but it starts there".

Finally, after waiting about 10 or so minutes, he called me forward. I gave him my receipt, explained to him that the second disc in this two-CD set was cracked and that I just wanted to exchange it. He looked at me like I had about seven heads. He pried the disc from the tray and studied it for a few minutes. He said "I don't know if I can do that. Does the disc play?". I was baffled. I said to him, "I didn't even put it in my car stereo because I didn't want to risk the disc breaking even more, which is why I just wanted to do an even exchange." Rudely, he replied "Yeah. I don't know if I can do that...there's really not a problem here. I mean...I could check with a manager but I really don't think there's anything I can do."

As he walked into the back, I was livid. Not only was he rude from the get-go, but he was going to try and send me home with a broken disc?

After a few minutes he came back out with a woman, and she greeted me with a smile and asked how I was (unlike her employee). I explained the situation to her and she looked at the CD and said to him, "Yeah, I see the cracks. Of course we can exchange it. Especially since he just bought it" He said to her "So...what? Do I have to select 'Customer Accommodation'?" I rolled my eyes. The woman said "No, it's just a regular exchange because it's a defective disc".

He rang everything through and opened my new copy - with much struggle I might add - and nearly broke the new copy. Even though I got the exchange it was too much of a hassle, especially being spoken to and looked at like I was stupid. I just wanted an even exchange, I wasn't asking for my money back or anything.

Just wanted to give a heads up to those of you who buy CDs, DVDs or BDs at Best Buy. Doesn't seem like their staff is well-trained on what to do with defective discs.

It's been many years (maybe 6 or 7) since I've had to exchange a defective disc at a B&M store, and I've NEVER had such a hard time doing so. I've heard horror stories about CS and the employees in general at Best Buy, but now that I've experienced it, I'm not sure whether or not I want to continue shopping there.
Old 05-10-14, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts
Re: HORRIBLE CS from Best Buy

Guess my view of "horrible" is different. Sure, it could have been handled a little better. You dealt with one guy who didn't quite know what he was doing or perhaps he was having a bad day. In the end, you walked out with exactly what you wanted. I'd consider that a victory.
Old 05-10-14, 06:00 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Sounds to me like the problem was solved immediately and on site? Not exactly a horror story.
Old 05-10-14, 06:49 PM

I don't know. His tone of voice and overall demeanor with me was very condescending before he even assisted me, which was even more frustrating because he was perfectly fine with the customer in front of me.
Old 05-10-14, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Horrible service at Best Buy? So what else is new?

I bought a couple Blu-Rays from them a few weeks ago, would have bought more except that I refuse to buy any that come in un-sealed slipcovers if the store then sticks price tags right on them. I'd complained about that to Best Buy many times since this stupid trend started, but they obviously don't care and would rather figure that their declining media sales means simply that nobody wants media at all anymore.

Since I had a survey invitation on my receipt, I commented about this again, and also about their constantly-dwindling selection. Surprisingly, I got a reply email, which I present here as it was received apart from removing names to protect the guilty:

I am (NAME REMOVED), the assistent store manager of the store in natomas. I am responding to the DVD issue that you presented to us and wanted to let you know that we appreaciate your concerns with how our media has deplited over the last couple of years. Many of theDVD's can be ordered for our customers at anytime with free shipping. As for the price tags that are on thier, those come on all DVD/BD from the manufacutre and we have no control over it. I appoligize for the inconvienence this must be to you. If you need to get any type of movie and we do not have it in stock we will be happy to order it for you and give you free shipping.

thanks
No further comment.
Old 05-10-14, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Dear lord are you overly sensitive.
Old 05-11-14, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee

I bought a couple Blu-Rays from them a few weeks ago, would have bought more except that I refuse to buy any that come in un-sealed slipcovers if the store then sticks price tags right on them. I'd complained about that to Best Buy many times since this stupid trend started, but they obviously don't care and would rather figure that their declining media sales means simply that nobody wants media at all anymore.

Since I had a survey invitation on my receipt, I commented about this again, and also about their constantly-dwindling selection. Surprisingly, I got a reply email, which I present here as it was received apart from removing names to protect the guilty
I usually just scoff when someone at BB saya "oh you can order it from our website". The whole point of buying from BB is to get it *NOW* vs waiting for Amazon to ship it (which really depends on the item, and how bad I need it). If I'm forced to order it from a website I might as well just order it from Amazon.
Old 05-11-14, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

You're not the only one bothered by Best Buy's terrible price stickers. Best Buy is one of the few chains that doesn't mangle slipcovers but they ruin them by affixing those horribly sticky price tags.
Old 05-12-14, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Definitely doesn't seem like that horrible of an experience; obviously we can't tell tone of voice by text, but nothing you quoted from the CS guy seemed particularly rude, more so he didn't know what to do about damaged items and exchanges and probably took the rule of not returning opened media too literally.
Old 05-16-14, 02:13 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Dear lord are you overly sensitive.
This.

Grow a pair.
Old 05-16-14, 05:51 PM
Banned

Since I had a survey invitation on my receipt, I commented about this again, and also about their constantly-dwindling selection. Surprisingly, I got a reply email, which I present here as it was received apart from removing names to protect the guilty:

No further comment.
So... it's the companies that make the blu-rays that put the stickers that say Best Buy on them? That guy doesn't sound like he knows what he's talking about. A lot of the time, though, the stickers can be pulled off just fine. It all depends on what kind of stickers they are.
Old 05-16-14, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

No further comment.
Holy shit. Good example of why companies use canned-template responses instead of relying on humans to think and type.
Old 05-18-14, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

That manager needs a Speak and Spell.
Old 05-18-14, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've just about stopped going to best buy. The only time I'm in there now if the paticular item i want is exclusive to them. (ex thor 2 steelbook). Otherwise target and amazon get the bulk of my business.
Old 05-19-14, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In defense of the OP, even though his post wasn't filled with drama, the rep was acting inappropriately. First of all, he shouldn't have made comments about him, no matter where he was standing. He just needed to say, "sir, the line forms over here." Secondly, when a customer just purchased something and wants to exchange, it shouldn't be such an arduous experience. Especially since the OP went and got the replacement. A manager wasn't necessary to do the transaction. Then the cashier is copping an attitude about which code to enter for the exchange. The way I see it is if you don't like what you do, change jobs but don't take it out on the public. I admit their job isn't always easy but the customer is always right, even when they aren't.
Old 05-19-14, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

There's a style of customer service I call "Please Go Away" where they just say something, anything hoping that you'll just accept it and leave. I think this is what he was attempting. He did a bad job of it by getting the manager, though!
Old 05-19-14, 12:03 PM
Banned

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've never really had a bad experience at Best Buy.
Old 05-20-14, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

It sounds like you just had one kind of clueless, slightly rude rep. I used to have terrible experiences at my Best Buy, like a store manager once refusing to sell a movie at the price in the current ad or disallowing the use of a RZ certificate with a price match. That said, they've turned it around 100% and I've been really impressed with them the last 6-8 months. They follow corporate policy, employees are friendly without hounding customers for crap they don't need and everyone there I've dealt seems to at least have a basic knowledge of the items they're selling. Their phone reps have been very helpful too, on the handful of occasions I've had issues with a web order. I'll miss them when they're gone.
Old 05-21-14, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
You're not the only one bothered by Best Buy's terrible price stickers. Best Buy is one of the few chains that doesn't mangle slipcovers but they ruin them by affixing those horribly sticky price tags.
The tags come off quite easily if you use a hair dryer to warm them up first. If there is residue left, I reheat and use the freshly removed sticker to dab at the residue until it comes off. No more than a minute or so to accomplish.
Old 05-21-14, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
This.

Grow a pair.
I can see how you would take the side of a disrespectful and non-contributing member of society.
Old 05-23-14, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Sounds like a bad cashier working customer service that day. Problem was solved when a manager was brought over. I've had that happen before as well. Ended up just getting a refund rather than arguing with the idiot at customer service.
As to the complaints about the stickers on those superfluous cardboard covers that come on some discs, that isn't that big a deal.
Old 05-23-14, 05:47 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by HellTrack
So... it's the companies that make the blu-rays that put the stickers that say Best Buy on them?
Actually, in some cases... yes.

When I worked at a retail store that sold this stuff, we got a few boxes of brand new discs (coming out the following Tuesday, so straight from the distribution center), and they all had the little white WAL-MART stickers on them (I can't remember if the price was on them...)

Retailers like Wal-mart and Best Buy occasionally have deals with the distribution centers where the stickers are added at that time. It's a cost-saving thing... why pay an employee $X per hour to put stickers on 300+ DVDs when you can have it put on by a machine in the factory for a nominal fee? Cost benefit and all that.
Old 11-21-14, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

Here is my latest experience with BB.

I was looking at buying a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 16GB tablet. BB Friday price will drop from $499.99 to $399.99. Figure I would just order online when it drops in price. But someone posted a link to BB showing a price of $379.99 a few days ago. Here is the link. Here is the SKU:7798007.

Here is the link to the same model that cost $499.99. SKU:7023019.

The one listed at $379.99. People on another forum were posting that they were price matching at their local BB, Walmart & Target. Of course some were getting turned down. Even though even was pretty sure the lowest price one was a Geek Squad Certified Refurbished model. Although no where did it say that. But looking at the model #'s you could tell. But I chatted with 4 different CS reps while I was in my cart at BB.com. I also called their 1-800-BB # & talked to 2 different people. All swore up & down if I buy the $379 one it would be a brand new model. Even though they had no idea why it was $120 less that the other one. So I decided to buy it online with 10% movers guide BB coupon code. Final price was about $358. Well guess what as I figured would happen when it arrived 3 days later. And I open the box it came in I knew it was not new. For one it did not come in the Original Samsung brown box this tablet comes in. And on the white box was a big "Geek Squad Certified Refurbished: Tested & Approved" sticker. So back it goes tomorrow to my local BB.

Hell if I wanted a Geek Squad Certified Refurbished Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 tablet. I would of gotten this One. Which is 32GB model just a different color. "SKU: 7800003"
Old 11-29-14, 11:10 PM

Yeah, they're complete idiots. They refused to price match Wal Mart for me.