Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Old CDNOW DVD orders -- warning

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old CDNOW DVD orders -- warning

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-00, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sometime in July CDNOW switched their DVD shipping warehouse from "G" to "B". Warehouse G no longer supplies them with DVDs so if you have any older orders with them that are tagged with this warehouse you should give them a call so they can transfer your order. They did not automatically transfer your orders.

You can tell where a DVD is shipping from by looking at your online order status receipt. The shipping warehouse comes right after the price of the item. For example:

Jet Li Romeo Must Die 1 DVD 17.49 G Backorder

This puppy is shipping from warehouse G, which means you'll never get it.

I don't think you have anything to worry about unless you have orders over 30 days old.
Old 08-29-00, 11:45 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by fantasia:
Sometime in July CDNOW switched their DVD shipping warehouse from "G" to "B". Warehouse G no longer supplies them with DVDs so if you have any older orders with them that are tagged with this warehouse you should give them a call so they can transfer your order. They did not automatically transfer your orders.

You can tell where a DVD is shipping from by looking at your online order status receipt. The shipping warehouse comes right after the price of the item. For example:

Jet Li Romeo Must Die 1 DVD 17.49 G Backorder

This puppy is shipping from warehouse G, which means you'll never get it.

I don't think you have anything to worry about unless you have orders over 30 days old.
<HR>

Thanks for the heads up! I did have half of my one and only order that I WILL EVER PLACE with this crappy company shipping (what a joke!) from warehouse G... CDNEVER should NEVER have been bailed out of bankruptcy...
Old 08-30-00, 07:48 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Lurker 57:
...my one and only order that I WILL EVER PLACE with this crappy company...(what a joke!)... CDNEVER should NEVER have been bailed out of bankruptcy...<HR>

I disagree. CDNow is my favorite place from which to order DVDs. They have fairly decent prices, regular coupons, a great GC program, FFWD points (a bonus program that gets you extra DVDs for free), great customer service, most orders are filled in a timely fashion and a very reliable warehouse which, unlike other online stores, has never sent me a wrong item. I only have one small problem with them: they constantly switch back and forth between UPS and the USPS for shipments. I wish they would let me choose the carrier as I definitely prefer the USPS for small packages.
Old 08-30-00, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

CD Later almost closed its doors due to one reason....the place is terrible when it comes to delivery of a product!!! Sure, you have a few people who have never had a problem with CD Later....but the majority have had problems...major problems!!! Stay away is some friendly advice!!!!
Old 08-30-00, 04:46 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by djones6746:
CD Later almost closed its doors due to one reason....the place is terrible when it comes to delivery of a product!!! Sure, you have a few people who have never had a problem with CD Later....but the majority have had problems...major problems!!! Stay away is some friendly advice!!!!<HR>

And AMEN...

As for you Miser... Your one of the few people in this forum who have had positive experiences with this etailer. Even Geoff has had his share of problems with them...

My experience as quoted from my post of August 01, 2000 02:50 PM:

http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/014784.html

"...It's funny, but even after seeing how many people here gave CDNever bad reviews, I figured I would give them a shot... Using the more.com promotion, I got a $25 GC to
CDNever and on May 26th purchased 2 DVD's, My Blue Heaven(in stock) and Gulliver's Travels(preorder due out 7-25) and by using a $5 coupon got them both "Free." Well, two months go by and about 4 days before Gulliver is due to be released they finally ship My Blue Heaven separately(why not do it 2 months ago, when the order was placed?). I send an email asking why this was done and they say that the orders are coming from different warehouses. Ok... fine... On 7-25, no shipping confirmation, still "backordered" as their system apparently NEVER shows "preorder." Then, 7-26, they CANCEL my order. I send them an email asking why and receive a response that it has been "backordered longer than 60 days so they cancelled it and will be sending me a check in 2 to 3 weeks, or, I can place the order again..." Now, I had never asked the order to be cancelled and if I place the order again without the $5 coupon I end up paying shipping for a DVD that was already totally paid for... 2 More emails and a phone call and they reinstated the order for me with a new estimated stock date of 8-22... All this for a "FREE" DVD that is already in-stock at Amazon, 800.com and others for cheaper..."

The punchline to all of this... The above mentioned Gulliver's Travels is the DVD that was now supposed to ship from Warehouse "G" and I never would have known what happened or why I didn't get it if it weren't for fantasia's post. So, now I'm back to sending multiple emails about this problem to an unresponsive customer service department... Guess this time I'll just cancel the order and let them send me a check so I can take my business elsewhere and forget this whole debacle.

[This message has been edited by Lurker 57 (edited August 30, 2000).]
Old 08-30-00, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey let's be nice now...I didn't start this thread to bash CDNOW. For the record, I've ordered over 100 DVDs from them and in general I've been fairly satisfied; but then again, I tend to only order the popular mainstream titles so most of my stuff ships fairly promptly.

Lurker: I had numerous orders cancelled as well due to their "60 days backorder" policy. The funny thing is, they refunded my credit and eventually shipped every "cancelled" item anyway :-).
Old 08-30-00, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks fantasia.

I gave them a call.
The CSR confirmed that center G was no longer carrying DVDs for them, but he told me that center G is still carrying DVDs for other companies.
He told me that when my order was made (March 14, over 6 months! ) this center was under contract from them. They would still ship my DVD when it comes.

Hope they get Jet Li's Shaolin Temple soon...
Old 08-31-00, 10:16 PM

I just received the emails for the replacement orders, went to the site to check, and to my horror, the darn G is still next to the price for all of my orders. What's up? Do you know? I have a total of 6 orders: one Ruroni Kenshin and five Trigun. I would have to give them a call again tomorrow.