Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon Prime price to possibly increase by $20 to $40

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Amazon Prime price to possibly increase by $20 to $40

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-14, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Re: Amazon Prime price to possibly increase by $20 to $40

They just green lighted 4 new tv shows for their streaming service. Part of the money to pay for them has to come from somewhere.
Old 03-13-14, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

I may cancel right now and sign up again early April just to eek out a couple more months at the $79 price.

Edit, looks like website says you have until March 20 to stay at $79.
Old 03-13-14, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
It's not an issue with the actual 2-day delivery most of the time (meaning UPS, or whomever), it's an issue with when they actually ship the item. I order on a Monday, but they don't ship it until Wednesday, despite the item being in stock. Or I'll have prebooked a Blu-ray expecting it to arrive on release date, and over the weekend they'll have changed the "estimated delievery" date from Tuesday to Thursday. They seem to have done the previous two things more and more over the last year, which has made PRIME less of a value to me.
That is the biggest reason I'm considering not renewing. I ordered a set on in-stock computer speakers last Monday morning. In the past, they'd be shipped by the end of the day and I'd have them on Wednesday. Now, they don't ship until Wednesday and I don't get them until Friday.
Old 03-13-14, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

I don't stream anything off of amazon.com so that part doesn't apply to me. Although I do get that it cost money for the programming that others do watch. I use it for the shipping. If I am going to pay $99 a year then they should put everything I order even it if is a piece of lint in a fucking box instead of an envelope that is delivered with foot prints on both sides.
Old 03-13-14, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I look at the cost as a tax write off anyways. I use it to order supplies for work as well as buying other things.
Old 03-13-14, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I never have any issues with the 2 day delivery out here, just about everything arrives on time on the day their estimate is and ships day of. I guess being in California helps.

I'm unsure if i'll renew or not; i'm leaning towards keeping it when mine renews in August.
Old 03-13-14, 11:45 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

In my entire history of prime I've only had one occasion where an item didn't make it by the estimated arrival date and that was due to weather. It's not uncommon for my prime purchases to come in one day.
Old 03-13-14, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I can still justify Prime at $99 a year. I could see being more upset about the increase if it was an annual thing but since is the first time they've upped it in the nine years it's been offered I'm okay with it. Plus with the recent change from the $25 free shipping to $35 you had to to think a Prime increase was coming too. I've never had issues with getting packages on time and they're reliable so I like doing business with them.
Old 03-13-14, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
They're gouging. Prime is already plenty profitable as it is. This increase will really put them over the top. When you have Prime, you end up buying WAY more shit off amazon than you would otherwise.

I got rid of Prime last year when I realized I don't need to have something shipped to me in 2 days, and that I'm fine waiting 2-4 weeks. I still get free shipping as I wait until I can make big orders. And I certainly don't use their shitty steaming streaming service.
Eh, are you sure about that? I'm sure it does influence purchase decisions in their favor, but aren't their margins really low on most items anyway? Plus prime users (like me) will abuse shipping, buying things separately. And then add in the digital content they have to pay for (which nobody asked for, but still).

Plus it seems like most are going to swallow the price increase and keep up with it, so there was some price flexibility there.
Old 03-13-14, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An extra $20 bucks for a service that I, personally, get a lot of use from, is no big deal. Also, I just renewed in January.

Put me in the 1-3 orders a week camp. Definitely not just BDs (in fact, rarely), but tons of household items, toiletries, etc etc. Part of it is living in NYC, where it's just easier (and cheaper) to have these things come to you.

I've only had one time when I missed a delivery. It was a same day and unfortunately it came after I had left work, wasn't a huge deal - was my first same day item and I was just curious if it worked (and it has the other times I've used it) Honestly, I find my stuff coming way too soon and never gets held up or arrives damaged.

I also use the VOD (moderately) and the kindle lending library (occasionally). VOD needs a better interface, that is for sure.

I've just always had a great experience with Amazon. Just waiting for the tiny helicopters to start bringing me my amazon junk now...
Old 03-13-14, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
In my entire history of prime I've only had one occasion where an item didn't make it by the estimated arrival date and that was due to weather. It's not uncommon for my prime purchases to come in one day.
Same here....
Old 03-13-14, 01:36 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolf359
I may cancel right now and sign up again early April just to eek out a couple more months at the $79 price.

Edit, looks like website says you have until March 20 to stay at $79.
So wait, is cancelling and getting a prorated refund even allowed? If so, then shouldn't it cheapest for anyone to do so on the last possible day?
Old 03-13-14, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickee
If I understand the lawsuit correctly, it's stupid. The person suing is only talking about 3rd party sellers and how when they use the fulfilled by Amazon feature (which means it qualifies for Prime), they raise the price of the item to include the shipping fee. Which maybe they do but what difference does it make? She says something like non-Prime members would end up paying a lower price with a separate shipping fee.

But the buyer can always choose another 3rd party seller that charges a separate shipping fee to get a lower price if they want it.

I buy a lot of things using 3rd party sellers and sometimes I pay more if it qualifies for Prime because I know I will get it faster than with a non-Prime seller. But that is my choice. If the price difference is too great, I'll go with the cheaper seller and know that I may have to wait longer to receive it.
Exactly. When you purchase from 3rd party sellers it's on *you* to find the "best deal." There are times I'll pay a bit more just because a vendor offers "fulfilled by Amazon" as I then get Amazon CS if there is a problem. This is especially useful for niche or OOP DVD items simply because if it's not *exactly* as described it's very easy to get a refund that does not count against the maximum Amazon will do if things go sour with a vendor and you are forced to seek recourse via the Amazon MP guarantee.
Originally Posted by Trevor
Got the email, mine renews in September so I'll be at $99. I'll probably let it renew.
Same here. I'm not crazy about a increase but mine doesn't expire until December 31st which will get me through the next Christmas season with ease. I don't stream partly because I don't want to send the message that it's a "OK" method for content delivery. But I'm not a content renter either so... Basically I'd rather own than "borrow" 99% of the time (Books, Music, and DVDs) and as such the "perks" don't interest me.

Like others I'd like to see a "shipping only" option with a lower rate but I doubt it'll ever happen. I tend to think offering streaming as part of Prime costs Amazon very little.
Old 03-13-14, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I got the email too. I think it's a smokescreen to talk about the "cost of shipping" ...
No, I think it is the cost of shipping. Of course, I'm thinking of those brain-dead delivery helicopters.
Old 03-13-14, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but couldn't you simply extend the current price a year by purchasing a gift membership for yourself before 3/20, turn off auto-renew and set the delivery date as the day after your membership expires?
Old 03-13-14, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but couldn't you simply extend the current price a year by purchasing a gift membership for yourself before 3/20, turn off auto-renew and set the delivery date as the day after your membership expires?
Yes, you should be able to do so.
Old 03-13-14, 04:18 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
So wait, is cancelling and getting a prorated refund even allowed? If so, then shouldn't it cheapest for anyone to do so on the last possible day?
To answer my own question, no refunds. Well, you can get one in the first 30 days if you've used no features of Prime.

I guess it would still save someone whose renewal is in April or maybe even May to cancel and start anew before the price change day.
I just tried it. It appears to work, but I guess I won't know for sure until September.

And I can't find a way to turn off auto renewal. So I may have screwed myself if I forget to cancel my current Prime before Sept 18th.
Old 03-13-14, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
They just green lighted 4 new tv shows for their streaming service. Part of the money to pay for them has to come from somewhere.
i wonder if i agreed not to watch any more shows where gabby hoffman flashes her bush, if i could get them to knock 10 bucks off the price.
Old 03-13-14, 06:33 PM

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

An extra 20 bucks for 2-day, often times next day, shipping and streaming service? I've got no problems with that. Plus, the price hasn't gone up in the nine years since the service debuted, and that's pretty freakin' uncommon.
Old 03-13-14, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Timber
I don't know if I can justify the increase. Expecially when I consider that the majority of my Prime shipements are going out via USPS. When they were going Lasership and UPS I always got orders in 2 days. Now I get it when I get it.
That has happened to me too. Not often, but they have a couple times and they know damn well when they ship USPS it won't make the 2 day delivery deadline.
Old 03-13-14, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What a bunch of bitches.

It's twenty dollars. Just pay it and move on.
Old 03-13-14, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts

Yes, and word is getting out

http://time.com/23427/dont-want-to-p...-alternatives/

http://socialnewsdaily.com/26616/red...fore-increase/
Old 03-13-14, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 898 Likes on 722 Posts

Glad you guys have figured out an exploit to get Amazon back at their own game. Better hurry, though it'll probably be dead in 24 hours! I hope 1000s of people do this and give Amazon the clear message that they're pissed off at the increase (and, of Amazon's other gouging during the past year -- tax, $35 free shipping increase, $3.99 DVD shipping, etc).

I would never get Prime, even at $49. I can wait.
Old 03-14-14, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 436 Likes on 298 Posts

Did Amazon screw up the emails on this? The email I received from them yesterday morning specifically states my 2014 renewal (in November) will remain at $79 and I won't have to pay $99 until 2015. When I login to my Amazon account and look at Prime it says my renewal this November will be $99.
Old 03-14-14, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle
Glad you guys have figured out an exploit to get Amazon back at their own game. Better hurry, though it'll probably be dead in 24 hours! I hope 1000s of people do this and give Amazon the clear message that they're pissed off at the increase (and, of Amazon's other gouging during the past year -- tax, $35 free shipping increase, $3.99 DVD shipping, etc).

I would never get Prime, even at $49. I can wait.
The odd thing is, why not just let everyone renew this year for 79 bucks if you're already subscribed?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.