Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Target stores reportedly hacked w/in the past month

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Target stores reportedly hacked w/in the past month

Old 12-23-13, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Re: Target stores reportedly hacked w/in the past month

Looking back at my debit transactions, I did pick up some stuff at Target during this time frame. My wife used her card there too. I was in contact with someone at my bank via their Facebook page and they recommended canceling our cards and requesting new ones. So, I am waiting on their call to get the ball rolling. It blows that I will be without a card for some time, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Old 12-24-13, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,351 Likes on 916 Posts

Looks like the hackers may have got the encrypted pin #'s too: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/exclus...203852085.html
Old 12-24-13, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Shit the wife and I both used our debit cards there during that period and I can't get to the bank until the 26th. Gonna move the bulk of the money out of the account and switch cards on Thursday.
Old 12-25-13, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by shadowhawk2020
Shit the wife and I both used our debit cards there during that period and I can't get to the bank until the 26th. Gonna move the bulk of the money out of the account and switch cards on Thursday.
that may be unnecessary. many banks lowered the limits you could withdraw from them using debit cards.
Old 12-25-13, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 199 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
that may be unnecessary. many banks lowered the limits you could withdraw from them using debit cards.
He could still have more than that held up by any credit charges that hit the account. Those limits are higher.
Old 12-25-13, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm surprised a hack like this hasn't happened to Walmart.

I haven't been to a Target in a while so I think I am safe. I've talked to a bunch of people who used a debit card at Target and they just said, "oh I picked the credit option, not the debit option.' How is that any safer? It is still the same card number.
Old 12-26-13, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
I've talked to a bunch of people who used a debit card at Target and they just said, "oh I picked the credit option, not the debit option.' How is that any safer? It is still the same card number.
That doesn't even make any sense. Both credit cards and debit cards were compromised, so there's nothing safer about it.
Old 12-26-13, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 199 Likes on 132 Posts

The only thing potentially better about it is they wouldn't have had their PIN clipped, but they could still have their checking funds held until the fraudulent credit charges are worked out.
Old 12-26-13, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
He could still have more than that held up by any credit charges that hit the account. Those limits are higher.
banks always reverse those fairly quickly in my experience.
Old 12-26-13, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

Just got my card declined on Steam. I've been using it for years on Steam and not one problem. I think they did it cause i've been making little purchases for the past few days and that caused the red flag? Had to re-enter my # and it worked.
Old 12-27-13, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

The way they are handling this is pretty bad. Although my bank was watching my account for unusual charges, I went ahead and tried to cancel my Redcard debit card yesterday. After waiting a while for the next representative, I eventually got disconnected. I turned right around and tried again and finally got to speak to someone. I told the lady I wanted to cancel my card and she took just my name and said "ok I'll do it" without asking anymore information and hung up.

The wife had to call and ask for a supervisor just to get them to cancel it. They tried to talk her out of it, but she declined.
Old 12-27-13, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by darkdaze73
The way they are handling this is pretty bad. Although my bank was watching my account for unusual charges, I went ahead and tried to cancel my Redcard debit card yesterday. After waiting a while for the next representative, I eventually got disconnected. I turned right around and tried again and finally got to speak to someone. I told the lady I wanted to cancel my card and she took just my name and said "ok I'll do it" without asking anymore information and hung up.

The wife had to call and ask for a supervisor just to get them to cancel it. They tried to talk her out of it, but she declined.
They've been getting ripped for their handle on the whole situation. I'm guessing they lost a lot of RedCard debit customers with this breach.
Old 12-27-13, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Got my new Red Card in the mail yesterday. Hope this shit doesn't happen again.
Old 12-27-13, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Looks like it is true. Encrypted pin #'s were taken: http://gizmodo.com/target-confirms-t...lac-1490418755
Old 12-27-13, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Citizens Bank is kind of odd in their handling of this too. As I posted earlier, I was told by them that I should cancel my debit card and request a new one. I did as suggested and received my new card yesterday. My wife tried to call them and do the same thing and they told her that they were taking "proactive steps to monitor the account" and that it wasn't necessary to cancel. She didn't pursue it any further. I'm just kind of baffled as to why I would be told to cancel my card and she was basically told not to worry about it. You would think they would want to try and avoid dealing with fraud cases and such.
Old 12-27-13, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Citizens Bank is kind of odd in their handling of this too. As I posted earlier, I was told by them that I should cancel my debit card and request a new one. I did as suggested and received my new card yesterday. My wife tried to call them and do the same thing and they told her that they were taking "proactive steps to monitor the account" and that it wasn't necessary to cancel. She didn't pursue it any further. I'm just kind of baffled as to why I would be told to cancel my card and she was basically told not to worry about it. You would think they would want to try and avoid dealing with fraud cases and such.
I would force the issue. It doesn't cost anything to get a new card and it's not worth the potential headache in the long run.
Old 12-27-13, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by My Other Self
I would force the issue. It doesn't cost anything to get a new card and it's not worth the potential headache in the long run.
Typing all of that up pissed me off enough to the point where I forced the issue. She'll have her new card early next week.
If she was more savvy with things of this nature, I'd have let it go. But I'm the one checking her account daily to make sure nothing is out of the ordinary. Shouldn't have to worry about that going forward.
Old 12-27-13, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't all banks have the account option online to get a new card? Not sure why one should have to call CS.
Old 12-28-13, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 337 Likes on 258 Posts

I went to my local branch and got a new credit card. Definitely easier to be proactive instead of dealing with fraudulent charges later.
Old 12-28-13, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ranger
Don't all banks have the account option online to get a new card? Not sure why one should have to call CS.
I believe I can request one online, but doing it over the phone and talking to a CSR can see to it that the $25 fee to overnight the card via FedEx gets waived. There are also quite a few banks that are offering new cards on the spot. Citizens is not one of those banks.
Old 12-30-13, 05:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It turned out to be straight forward to request a replacement credit card from Citibank. For delivery, one option was to have my account charged $ 6 for overnight delivery by FedEx with a tracking number; the other option was free delivery in five to seven days.
Old 01-10-14, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/10/52...details-hacked

Names, emails, and phone numbers were taken too.
Old 01-10-14, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Yeah, up to 70 million people, not 40 million. I really would love to know how this happened.
Old 01-10-14, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,850 Likes on 1,434 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Yeah, up to 70 million people, not 40 million. I really would love to know how this happened.
Oh, it gets better:
http://www.latimes.com/business/mone...#axzz2q19aHtNj

[Updated 8:30 a.m. PST Jan. 10: Molly Snyder, a Target spokeswoman, said the 70 million customers whose personal data were stolen were a separate group from the 40 million customers previously reported whose payment card information was hacked. Snyder said some overlap was possible, but that overall, as many as 110 million customers' information was stolen during the same crime.]

http://www.latimes.com/business/mone...#ixzz2q19elHld
So they have no rewards card or anything to swipe at the register; where did this other personal information come from? Online orders? Target credit card customers? The original story was that they tapped into the POS (where you swipe your card) network, but this seems like it goes beyond that, especially if the lists are completely separate, so I wonder if even the original timeframe they gave when they were vulnerable is still valid.

Last edited by fujishig; 01-10-14 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-10-14, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ridiculous.

My mom said she just got an email from Chase saying they'll be sending her a new debit card b/c of target. Surprised they're doing that just now.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.