Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Target stores reportedly hacked w/in the past month

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Target stores reportedly hacked w/in the past month

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-13, 12:21 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Target stores reportedly hacked w/in the past month

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
Sometimes you are really funny. But obviously not all the time.
I've been to Target several times in the period listed. I need to go through all my receipts and figure out which card(s) I used on those trips, and replace all of them. Figure I might as well lighten the mood.
Old 12-19-13, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, think about the millions of people that have to go through the same thing right now. And with only days before Christmas not to add. That is why at first I chucked about the message about receiving my replacement card in 10 business days. They are going to have to send out millions of replacement cards, so I'll be happy if I get mine in January. All in all, what do you do? With all of the dirtbags out there, hacking isn't going to stop anytime soon. Maybe next time it's Amazon. At least we're all in the same sinking ship
Old 12-19-13, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

My personal credit card was compromised. Of course I have no proof that it's thru using it at Target -- but the odds are on that. This is the second time in 4 weeks that I've had to be issued a new card. The wife and I spend tons on our card every month too --- so this sucks. Luckily they're over-nighting us new cards.
Old 12-19-13, 05:18 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Normally I use my atm card but I haven't used it there for months. I'm just going to start paying cash there from now on.
Old 12-19-13, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Well I just got into my REDcard account, though the site sure was slow in loading (as expected). No activity on my card other than what I bought, so no issues for me. I only use my REDcard at Target now, so I guess I'm reasonably safe.
Old 12-19-13, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It appears that I have 5 cards used there during the hacking period. crap.

Especially annoying is the one that is a brand new card used in early December after having expired in November and I charged less than $1.60. And my Discover card which expired at the end of December, but they insisted I activate the new one immediately and so the new one was compromised.
Old 12-19-13, 07:46 PM

Finally your user name pays off!
Old 12-20-13, 09:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After reading various forums of people who got hacked for a lot of money and used not credit cards but debit cards, and how their bank had to be put their account on hold which can take weeks to a month, I had to get cards reissued, get a credit report and of course, monitor all accounts.

I can live without my cards for until the New Year. If I need cash, I can go to the bank for now. But since I used a debit card and not a credit card, I didn't want my account to be put on hold.

Beth Givens, a director of Privacy Rights Clearinghouse in San Diego: "If there is fraud with a credit card, a consumer does not need to pay that part of the bill while the bank conducts an investigation", she said. "But with a debit card, the money is coming directly out of the person's checking account, which is a more difficult process. In the case of fraud, banks will likely replenish the card, but not right away. An investigation could last a couple of weeks or even a month, during which time the account holder would not have access to their money."
Old 12-20-13, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Glad I have Chase. Some of their branches can print you new cards on the spot - got one last night. I never use my PIN at retail anyway but the card is linked to my checking.
Old 12-20-13, 10:14 AM

What's bad is that there will be a lot of news stories of people who used their debit cards and find out that their money in the bank is all gone...

This woman lost everything:

http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/242...-target-breach

And those who used debit and were hacked, have no access to their bank account for week or two or maybe a month:

http://www.nbcwashington.com/video/#...Hack/236667831

Last edited by kndy; 12-20-13 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-20-13, 11:33 AM

My newspaper this morning's "advice" for people who shopped at Target during this period was to "check your credit card statements for suspicious activity". :facepalm: No, you idiots...CANCEL YOUR CARD AND GET A NEW ONE...ESPECIALLY IF IT'S DEBIT!

As a side note, given that this affected all registers at all Targets it has to have been an inside job. Somebody would have had to create a software solution to grab this information with every transaction, and get it deployed across all stores. And if that person is an overseas contractor, good luck ever recovering the data and/or persecuting them.
Old 12-20-13, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

Used my debit card on Nov 29 but nothing fishy so far but I went to my credit union yesterday and had my card deactivated and was given a new one within 5 minutes.
Old 12-20-13, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts

This is why I don't have a debit card. I'm credit card only.
Old 12-20-13, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Went to BofA and got a new debit card, the rep told me oh you don't need a new card we stand behind you and will take of you if anything happens, told him its not the bank, but I would like a new card. He gave me a temp card to use, until my new one comes in the mail, he also told me he was almost out of cards and that yesterday there was a line out of the bank, to have a new card issued.
Old 12-20-13, 09:59 PM

http://consumerist.com/2013/12/20/st...-on-your-list/

excerpt:

[Security expert Brian] Krebs’s investigation is a step-by-step look into how the stolen numbers are sold and how banks are able to identify compromised customers. It’s an interesting peek at the kind of detective work that goes in to tracing a breach like this.

The story starts at the online shop where the credit card numbers are sold. They move in batches, and the batches have code names indicating they were all lifted from the same merchant. The particular online shop featured in the investigation also includes the city and ZIP code of the store where the card was stolen from, because that information can help thieves make local purchases that are less likely to be immediately caught and flagged as fraud.
Old 12-20-13, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

That article mentions the 3 digit security code was not part of the breach. That's the first time I've read that. I thought they said the card reader devices themselves were hacked since they got mags tripe data including those security codes.
Old 12-21-13, 12:07 AM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
That article mentions the 3 digit security code was not part of the breach. That's the first time I've read that. I thought they said the card reader devices themselves were hacked since they got mags tripe data including those security codes.
The CVV2 code is not on the magnetic strip, that's the whole point of it (in a skimming situation). It's supposed to be used more for online purchasing, but not all merchants require it.
Old 12-21-13, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

well, at least we get 10% off everything today or tomorrow as an apology.
Old 12-21-13, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Chase sent me an email pretty much saying not to worry, their fraud monitoring is on and I have zero liability protection, and they'll send me a new card if necessary.
Old 12-21-13, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Also received an email from Target that gives some more info about the breach:

The unauthorized access took place in U.S. Target stores between Nov. 27 and Dec. 15, 2013. Canadian stores and target.com were not affected.

Even if you shopped at Target during this time frame, it doesn’t mean you are a victim of fraud. In fact, in other similar situations, there are typically low levels of actual fraud.

There is no indication that PIN numbers have been compromised on affected bank issued PIN debit cards or Target debit cards. Someone cannot visit an ATM with a fraudulent debit card and withdraw cash.

You will not be responsible for fraudulent charges – either your bank or Target have that responsibility.
We’re working as fast as we can to get you the information you need. Our guests are always the first priority.

For extra assurance, we will offer free credit monitoring services for everyone impacted. We’ll be in touch with you soon on how and where to access the service.
Old 12-21-13, 05:50 PM

My wife and I stopped using our debit card at retailers a while ago, because there is no protection against fraud; and it might link back to personal accounts at the bank. I think I debit card is simply too dangerous to use anywhere but at the bank ATM.

We use a credit card issued by the bank instead. We're thinking actually of simply opening an account at another bank, park a small amount there, and isolate any credit transactions from our main accounts.
Old 12-21-13, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Just heard about this.

I remember going to Target once. But I think I used cash. Can't quite remember. Will have to look at my online history.

I'm sure that Target (and their merchant account provider) follows the PCI Compliance stuff. So I wonder who the liability really falls on. Because you know that lots of people will be suing for 100,000 x anything they possibly lost.

My sister had her debit info stolen one time. Wells Fargo said "tough shit" to around $500. Nothing is guaranteed with debit cards.

Credit card charges can always be disputed. The one who really gets screwed in the one who provided goods and services to the fraudsters.
Old 12-21-13, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hadn't gone to Target at all in about a month and a half, but I ended up going in last Saturday to get Fast & Furious 6, so that potential of the card being compromised showed itself. I already had my debit card compromised back in July due to the Warner Bros. website hack, so to not have to think about it I went in to my credit union yesterday and they made me a new card. The guy said they had people in there all day getting new cards.

This won't change my shopping habits at Target, but I'll only be using cash from now on.
Old 12-22-13, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

I didn't shop during the supposed Nov. 27 to Dec. 15 deadline, but I had a weird charge on my credit card from Great Britain. I cancelled my card and they're shipping me another one. My last target transaction was on Nov. 8. So, maybe it affects transactions before Nov. 27 too?
Old 12-23-13, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is so awesome! I'll now be getting my 3rd new debit card this year! Thanks WB and Target!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.