Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Amazon's Still F-ed Up Search

Old 11-12-13, 08:13 PM
  #1  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The lonely depths of my mind
Posts: 3,864
Amazon's Still F-ed Up Search

I was looking for the classic Ichabod and Mr. Toad Disney special on amazon. There is a limited edition with a special cover. This version, however doesn't show up when you search for The Adventures Of Ichabod And Mr. Toad or Ichabod And Mr. Toad. It will only show up if you search for Ichabod and Mr. Toad limited. Well....if you don't know to search for limited as well, how do they expect you to find the dvd ?
Spottedfeather is offline  
Old 11-12-13, 09:31 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 30,352
Re: Amazon's Still F-ed Up Search

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
I was looking for the classic Ichabod and Mr. Toad Disney special on amazon. There is a limited edition with a special cover. This version, however doesn't show up when you search for The Adventures Of Ichabod And Mr. Toad or Ichabod And Mr. Toad. It will only show up if you search for Ichabod and Mr. Toad limited. Well....if you don't know to search for limited as well, how do they expect you to find the dvd ?
It's common knowledge that when searching for items, usually anywhere, you omit "The" and "A."

Also, is that an import item or is it a third market seller? Maybe someone put that information in themselves outside of Amazon? Amazon has one of the best keyword search engines anywhere, so I find it hard to believe that Amazon would screw that up.
Why So Blu? is offline  
Old 11-12-13, 09:44 PM
  #3  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The lonely depths of my mind
Posts: 3,864
Re: Amazon's Still F-ed Up Search

It's not an import. And it doesn't even come up when you leave out THE in the title.
Spottedfeather is offline  
Old 11-12-13, 10:20 PM
  #4  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Llama School
Posts: 6,539
Re: Amazon's Still F-ed Up Search

It is the 4th result when searching Ichabod and Mr Toad. Don't even have to add the word limited.
Lt Ripley is offline  
Old 11-13-13, 12:37 PM
  #5  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The lonely depths of my mind
Posts: 3,864
Re: Amazon's Still F-ed Up Search

The 4th result when searching Ichabod and Mr. Toad is the laserdisc. When you narrow the results to just DVD, the 4th result is a best-of Disney collection with Peter Pan and a bunch of other movies. NOT the special cover version of Ichabod and Mr. Toad.
Spottedfeather is offline  
Old 11-13-13, 12:42 PM
  #6  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Llama School
Posts: 6,539
Re: Amazon's Still F-ed Up Search

Go to Amazon's front page, don't narrow anything down, search for "Ichabod and Mr Toad" Fourth result is what you are wanting. I even tried it with the period after Mr and it is still the fourth result. Not sure how you managed to break Amazon for yourself.
Lt Ripley is offline  
Old 11-13-13, 12:56 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 21,870
Re: Amazon's Still F-ed Up Search

Amazon uses special search heuristics to "guess" what you want to buy if you use natural language, which almost invariably ends up being whatever is the biggest selling item on Amazon that has been recently released. The only way to properly search on Amazon anymore is using the UPC code and narrowing it down to a specific category beforehand.

They definitely hide certain search results for exotic editions, so as not to confuse the dumber customers. Apparently most consumers get overwhelmed when confronted with more than one or two choices.
PhantomStranger is offline  
Old 11-13-13, 01:07 PM
  #8  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Llama School
Posts: 6,539
Re: Amazon's Still F-ed Up Search

OK, I see what he did. I did the search on the front page where it shows up fourth, then clicked DVD and his Peter Pan thing is fourth.
Lt Ripley is offline  
Old 11-13-13, 01:24 PM
  #9  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The lonely depths of my mind
Posts: 3,864
Re: Amazon's Still F-ed Up Search

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley View Post
Go to Amazon's front page, don't narrow anything down, search for "Ichabod and Mr Toad" Fourth result is what you are wanting. I even tried it with the period after Mr and it is still the fourth result. Not sure how you managed to break Amazon for yourself.
Doing that gets me the Gold Collection version of Ichabod and Mr Toad, not the one I'm looking for.
Spottedfeather is offline  
Old 11-13-13, 01:31 PM
  #10  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Llama School
Posts: 6,539
Re: Amazon's Still F-ed Up Search

What happens when you scroll the rest of the results on that page?
Lt Ripley is offline  
Old 11-13-13, 01:34 PM
  #11  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The lonely depths of my mind
Posts: 3,864
Re: Amazon's Still F-ed Up Search

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley View Post
What happens when you scroll the rest of the results on that page?
Just searching - Ichabod and Mr Toad...
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...nd%20Mr%20Toad

Hitting the DVD section....
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_...nid=2941120011

This is what I'm trying to find by searching....don't know why it doesn't show up.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...r+Toad+limited

have to search Limited as well, to find it. But if you don't know to look for that, you wouldn't find it.
Spottedfeather is offline  
Old 11-13-13, 01:34 PM
  #12  
RIP
 
EddieMoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Paradise, USA
Posts: 9,637
Re: Amazon's Still F-ed Up Search

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley View Post
What happens when you scroll the rest of the results on that page?
His computer starts to smoke.
EddieMoney is offline  
Old 11-13-13, 01:38 PM
  #13  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Llama School
Posts: 6,539
Re: Amazon's Still F-ed Up Search

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
This is what I'm trying to find by searching....don't know why it doesn't show up.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...r+Toad+limited

have to search Limited as well, to find it. But if you don't know to look for that, you wouldn't find it.
That exact thing you want is the fourth result for me when I search for "Ichabod and Mr Toad" on Amazon's front page.
Lt Ripley is offline  
Old 11-13-13, 01:39 PM
  #14  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The lonely depths of my mind
Posts: 3,864
Re: Amazon's Still F-ed Up Search

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley View Post
That exact thing you want is the fourth result for me when I search for "Ichabod and Mr Toad" on Amazon's front page.
Could you post the link that happens when you do that search ? because when I use the term Ichabod and Mr Toad, I get that first link I posted.
Spottedfeather is offline  
Old 11-13-13, 01:43 PM
  #15  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Llama School
Posts: 6,539
Re: Amazon's Still F-ed Up Search

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
Could you post the link that happens when you do that search ? because when I use the term Ichabod and Mr Toad, I get that first link I posted.
Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
Just searching - Ichabod and Mr Toad...
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...nd%20Mr%20Toad
When I click on this link you posted, I get the result of your limited version being the fourth result. When I click your "DVD" link it shows your Peter Pan thing.
Lt Ripley is offline  
Old 11-13-13, 01:43 PM
  #16  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Llama School
Posts: 6,539
Re: Amazon's Still F-ed Up Search

Originally Posted by EddieMoney View Post
His computer starts to smoke.


Assist credited to Dom. Smile a bit Feather, it's worth a chuckle.
Lt Ripley is offline  
Old 11-13-13, 01:45 PM
  #17  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The lonely depths of my mind
Posts: 3,864
Re: Amazon's Still F-ed Up Search

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley View Post
When I click on this link you posted, I get the result of your limited version being the fourth result. When I click your "DVD" link it shows your Peter Pan thing.
This is so weird. I just clicked the link to make sure, and the 4th result is the Gold Collection version. ADV OF ICHABOD & MR TOAD-GOLD ADV OF ICHABOD & MR TOAD-GOLD, to be specific. 3rd is the laser disc. 2nd is the dvd from 2000. And the 1st result is the Amazon instant video version.
Spottedfeather is offline  
Old 11-13-13, 01:47 PM
  #18  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Llama School
Posts: 6,539
Re: Amazon's Still F-ed Up Search

It is a mystery.
Lt Ripley is offline  
Old 11-13-13, 01:48 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 20,874
Re: Amazon's Still F-ed Up Search



http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=all
wishbone is offline  
Old 11-13-13, 01:51 PM
  #20  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The lonely depths of my mind
Posts: 3,864
Re: Amazon's Still F-ed Up Search

Right. But we're trying to figure out why it doesn't show up when you search under the title...
Spottedfeather is offline  
Old 11-13-13, 02:00 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 12,051
Re: Amazon's Still F-ed Up Search

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
Right. But we're trying to figure out why it doesn't show up when you search under the title...
It does for me just like Lt Ripley said. 4th down from a home page search.

Noonan is offline  
Old 11-13-13, 02:00 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 20,874
Re: Amazon's Still F-ed Up Search



It autocompleted "the adventures of ichabod..." and was shown third in the search.
wishbone is offline  
Old 11-13-13, 02:14 PM
  #23  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The lonely depths of my mind
Posts: 3,864
Re: Amazon's Still F-ed Up Search

Originally Posted by wishbone View Post


It autocompleted "the adventures of ichabod..." and was shown third in the search.
I tried searching on the home page and the 4th result was American Legends. I tried what Wishbone did, searching in Movies & TV, and the 3rd result was the laserdisc.
Spottedfeather is offline  
Old 11-13-13, 02:31 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 20,874
Re: Amazon's Still F-ed Up Search

wishbone is offline  
Old 11-13-13, 02:46 PM
  #25  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The lonely depths of my mind
Posts: 3,864
Re: Amazon's Still F-ed Up Search

Searching EXACTLY like Wishbone did....
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/4910/57va.jpg
First result searching under Movies & TV.....Amazon Instant Video
Second result searching under Movies & TV....Gold Collection version
Third result searching under Movies & TV.....laserdisc version
Fourth result searching under Movies & TV.....audiobook
Spottedfeather is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.