Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon raised free shipping minimum to $35

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Amazon raised free shipping minimum to $35

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-13, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts
Re: Amazon raised free shipping minimum to $35

Originally Posted by jjcool
Factor that $80 against all the crap that you dont really need that you get to bump your orders over the free shipping threshold, how much you spend on shipping in a year for orders that arent over the free shipping order threshold, and the deals that you miss out on because you are trying to piece an order together to get free shipping.
I was going to weigh in here, but this sums up my pre-Prime experience. Obviously we all have to make our own decisions based on our buying patterns and budget.
Old 11-04-13, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
All of the Amazon tax dates were negotiated settlements with each state on a case-by-case basis. Amazon actually ended up making money on collecting state taxes, as states fell over themselves to get that revenue by making concessions to Amazon. The only losers were the consumers.
What concessions are you referring to?
Old 11-04-13, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle
Right, they sold out to the states, and we, the consumers doubly lost out (we are forced to pay tax = extra 8 to 10% 'surcharge' while Amazon *profits* on this 'deal') . Shows Amazon is not customer-friendly, and is in bed with the politicians now. Hence, I no longer respect them as a company.
No offense intended but realistically how many places do you shop where you aren't charged tax of some sort? I realize it sucks and I'm not looking forward to it happening where I'm at (nothing has been announced thus far but you never know) but I'm pretty used to paying taxes just about any place that isn't Amazon. We've had the luxury of not being charged it for years so I can understand being upset but it was bound to happen sooner or later.
Old 11-05-13, 07:03 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It's not Amazon' fault. They fought the sales tax state by state for years and at great expense. Now that they are losing the battle, they are making the best out of each situation.
Old 11-06-13, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 896 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
No offense intended but realistically how many places do you shop where you aren't charged tax of some sort?
Well, these days, since I live in CA, right about zero places online don't charge me sales tax. Seriously, I'm trying and can't think of a single one. Perhaps Deepdiscountdvd, but it has been years since I've shopped there, so I'll bet now they do charge Calif. tax.

It just seems rather unfair when, for 50+ years, we've not been charged tax on "mail-order" purchases when now, suddenly and not coincidently, we're forced to up the ante. Paying 18% state income tax, plus this Amazon 9.75% tax, on what used to be easilly circumvented, is a pain in the ass. Yeah, I know we were supposed to pay the tax on mail-order / internet purchases in the past, but no one I know ever did or felt the should have to.
Old 11-06-13, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Well this is Boolsheet. I just noticed this when I tried to check out with $25.49 in my cart. I guess I'll be waiting until I need something else. Farq that.

Plus, my bluer-than-blue state just forced Amazon to start charging sales tax on 11/1. I guess they needed more money to transfer to people who won't work, but keep squeezing out kids. Those, and the pampered state employees with their mandated annual raises, taxpayer-funded healthcare, and full retirement at 50.
Old 11-06-13, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can just curse normally here.
Old 11-13-13, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I got my order. One of the filler items I threw in was a Fender guitar string winder for $2.50. When I opened the box I found not 1 string winder, but a jug of about 100. I am now set for life on cheap string winders.