Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

ATTN: WBShop Order fulfiller hacked, Check your CC's

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

ATTN: WBShop Order fulfiller hacked, Check your CC's

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-13, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts
Re: ATTN: WBShop Order fulfiller hacked, Check your CC's

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Best Buy's website also got hacked at some point in the prior year. It was well known to not store credit card data on their site.
Are you talking about this one?

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/be...-hacked-867048

If so, they weren't hacked. It was just customer accounts who reuse their passwords on multiple sites.
Old 10-09-13, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Either these criminals were really really smart, or really really stupid. I would think they could easily be caught and arrested if airline tickets were purchased. It's not like you could easily use a fake name for those. Unless they were so good that they also make fake passports.
I know someone who had his CC cloned or something a several years ago. The thieves were very slick (or just randomly lucky) in that they made their fraudulent purchases in a point of his billing/statement cycle that it wouldn't show up on a bill for a month-and-a-half. He'd only caught the activity because he'd visited his card's site to check if he had room on his credit line for a purchase.

As smart as that was, they blew it by booking airline tickets which means REAL names which means he was on the case hunting down the participants. Within a couple of days, he had the details including home addresses, etc for the thieves and associates and handed the pile over to the cops, basically making their case for them. Can't recall how it all diced out because we fell out and haven't spoken in years.

A few years back, Tina Fey was shilling for AmEx and one of the commercials showed her getting a call asking if she'd bought 10,000 balls or something. I had to laugh because several years before that, I got an activity email (just the usual, "You've spent X dollars" thing; not an alert) from them showing about $4000 in charges. Dafuq?! I immediately looked at my statement online and it appeared someone was having some very nice dinners in Europe on my card.

I'd had it rejected at the gas pump for "abnormal activity" a couple weeks prior and had to call them to get it re-activated, but it had bombed out again the following week at the pump. No one explained what the activity was, but it must've been these charges. I called their service line and this time a helpful CSR assisted in disputing the charges. He asked, "So you're saying you didn't make these charges?" to which I replied, "Yes. Look at the pattern. How likely is it that I had a string of $400 meals in what sound like Italian restaurants in Italy, then flew home to gas up at Costco before heading back to Europe to eat some more?"
Old 10-10-13, 06:23 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Years back, I had stupid criminal steal my credit card info and bought a $1000 digital camera online. The funny part was that I received a shipping notice in the mail to my billing address with the purchase information containing the criminal's shipping address. I did a reverse look up and got her phone number and called her asking why she purchased a digital camera on my card. She claimed she couldn't hear me well, and hung up, and didn't pick up when i called back. I put her information in the credit card dispute form, but never did fill out a police report.
Old 10-10-13, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Add me to the list as well. Only ordered from them once, earlier this year for that 3-pack blu ray of Superman movies. Got the notice from Datapak in the mail this week, and my bank cancelled my card and is issuing a new one.

I had just used my debit card tied to my checking account for that order, so there sure wasn't a lot of excess money for thieves to access---however, a $600 charge from London was attempted (but denied). I guess I will never order from WBshop again.
Old 10-10-13, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

WBShop can't be the only company that uses Datapak for processing credit cards so I wonder what other websites are affected?
Old 10-10-13, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by stvn1974
WBShop can't be the only company that uses Datapak for processing credit cards so I wonder what other websites are affected?
But it's interesting that everyone who says their card was compromised purchased from WBShop. It seems like only their data was taken.
Old 10-10-13, 03:27 PM

I placed a pre-order for Pacific Rim collector's edition on 9/17 and haven't seen any fraudulent charges and haven't gotten a letter from Datapak. Is Datapak required to contact everyone? Does that mean I'm safe?

I don't have a CC stored. Am I safe because nothing was charged yet and my data isn't in the system? This comes out next week and I'm probably going to cancel the pre-order just to be on the safe side.
Old 10-10-13, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wennma01
I placed a pre-order for Pacific Rim collector's edition on 9/17 and haven't seen any fraudulent charges and haven't gotten a letter from Datapak. Is Datapak required to contact everyone? Does that mean I'm safe?

I don't have a CC stored. Am I safe because nothing was charged yet and my data isn't in the system? This comes out next week and I'm probably going to cancel the pre-order just to be on the safe side.
The hacking was several months ago. Of course, that doesn't mean they won't get hacked again...
Old 10-10-13, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've only ordered two items from WB Shop since they opened - one was the Ultimate Matrix Collection 2 years ago and the other was the Fringe set back in June. I encountered the same problem here everyone else has, specifically the Australian surf store trying to charge an insane amount to my debit card. My credit union had caught it and cancelled the card immediately and I was issued a new one.

It was my understanding that it was a local merchant that this happened at, but with all of this going on and multiple people who also ordered the Fringe set experiencing the same thing then I guess that narrows it down. I got the DataPak letter in the mail on Tuesday but I haven't opened it since I was reading this thread.

Unfortunately this is a risk shopping online at any company. It's just a shame that DataPak does business with so many other merchants because I don't feel comfortable giving them my credit card information.
Old 10-10-13, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I also ordered the Fringe Set.. and used WBShop... and got the DataPak letter.. but so far so good... then again... they could strike at any time ... ugh...
Old 10-10-13, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

On a positive note, I got my order today. I'm happy to get some decent $5 blus. Still no letter or weird charges, so fingers crossed.
Old 10-10-13, 11:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
The hacking was several months ago. Of course, that doesn't mean they won't get hacked again...
I'm doubting it was a single event. I made an order late Spring and found a fraudulent charge from Australia in July. Received a new card and made another order in August. AMEX contacted me about another charge that turned out fraudulent on the new card in mid-September. Interesting letters are only now coming out after 6 months from when this supposedly started. Hopefully, that is a sign they figured this out and at least have it under control for the time being.
Old 10-11-13, 10:47 AM

I just cancelled my pre-order. Saving $10 isn't worth it on the Pacific Rim LE if my card might be compromised.
Old 10-16-13, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Got a bunch of alerts from my cc this morning. Sure enough, someone tried charging a $1000+ trip on Expedia to my card. Bastards.
Old 10-16-13, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I couldn't recall if I ordered from WBShop any time recently, luckily I haven't in awhile. That really sucks though, time to pay more attention to every transaction.
Old 10-16-13, 08:56 PM

I ordered the Friday the 13th blu-ray set on 8/27 and it shipped (and charged) on 9/12. Nothing unusual on the card yet, no letter from Datapak. I'm thinking I should probably call the CC company anyway.
Old 10-17-13, 12:13 AM

You can add me to this list as well. Thank you OP for posting as I had been wondering where this originated from and no one had any answers for me before.

Ordered from WBshop in May or June with Discover card. Labor Day I got a call from Discover card fraud protection. In a few hours about $1,200 of charges had gone through (at Sears, a Motel, and a Furniture store). Thank god for fraud alert! Really had me paranoid...

Got the letter from Datapak as well. Interesting that the letter says the breach happened in March, but my order on WBshop was after that, and then the fraud charges happened in September - AND Datapak didn't bother to notify anyone until October. That's messed up. Sorry this happened to so many of us, but I'm glad for the explanation...
Old 10-17-13, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
I received the datapack services letter in the mail today as well - and thought this was to do with Rakuten (buy.com),
Both Rakuten and WBShop accounts have been compromised this year.

Just between those two sites, I've had bogus charges placed on 4 different credit cards this year alone.
Old 10-17-13, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok well this makes sense. I received a call in July from the credit card company about two fraudulent charges for Sears and Walmart. They caught it early though. So either it was from a WB Shop purchase in May, or possibly several Walmart.com purchases. Thanks for the info!
Old 10-17-13, 05:25 PM

well well so now I know where my card was siphoned from

worst part about it my wb order never was fulfilled lol
Old 10-17-13, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by QuirkyMovieGirl
Got the letter from Datapak as well. Interesting that the letter says the breach happened in March, but my order on WBshop was after that, and then the fraud charges happened in September - AND Datapak didn't bother to notify anyone until October.
Based on what they said, it sounds like the initial malware compromise happened in March, and they didn't detect it until September. So, any transactions between March and Sept. were likely intercepted. Once they found it in September, they cleaned it up, determined how big the problem was, and then sent out the letters in October.
Old 10-18-13, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$700 attempted charge from England on mine. Got the money back.
Old 10-18-13, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Tarantino
$700 attempted charge from England on mine. Got the money back.
What was the time frame between the charge, your order with WB and when it was noticed by the cc company or you?
Old 10-19-13, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang
Based on what they said, it sounds like the initial malware compromise happened in March, and they didn't detect it until September. So, any transactions between March and Sept. were likely intercepted. Once they found it in September, they cleaned it up, determined how big the problem was, and then sent out the letters in October.
If this is the case, there's no reason DataPak should be in business anymore. How does something like this go undetected for six months? Not only that, but we're such a small fraction of the other companies that utilize them to process their credit card transactions it's hard to imagine how many people were actually effected by this.

I wouldn't think with the technology we have today something could be affected for half a year like this with no indication it's happening.
Old 10-19-13, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My debit card was hacked on Labor Day weekend. My last order from the WB Shop was in April. They charged $1500 to my account, but the charges were denied because there wasn't that much in the account. Took me about a week to get a new debit card with a new number.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.