Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Buy.com-Are they incompetent?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Buy.com-Are they incompetent?

Old 08-09-00, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A while back I ordered two CD's from buy.com-Jerry Seinfeld and Denis Leary. What they sent me were two CD's by David Grey, who I'd never heard of. I sent the DG cds back, and it took buy.com four weeks to reprocess my order. I realize this is not a complaint about theri DVD service, but I wanted to know if they have screwed up anyone's DVD order, so I know whether or not to order from them. Thanks.
Old 08-09-00, 12:07 PM

I think a quick search of the online store forum for "buy.com" or Buy.con" or "Buy.con sucks!!" will yeild a definate and loud HELL YAH!!

Now, you will also find 1 or 2 posts that sing the praises of Buy, but keep in mind that there are far far far more that have had negative experience.....and not just with the 50 for 50 fiasco, or any other con, i am talking aout legitimate, no "grey" area transactions that have had nothing but problems....

Stay away, stay far far away!

You have been warned!
Old 08-09-00, 01:47 PM
Banned

they are ass backwards, tennessee style incompetent.
Old 08-09-00, 04:25 PM

Its hit or miss with buy.com. You'll get the lowest prices but the customer service ranges from a solid 8 out of 10 to -10 out of 10 literally.... oh you think you couldnt rate them a negative number but trust me... its possible... they really suck sometimes.
Old 08-09-00, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Aaron Campagnone:
I think a quick search of the online store forum for "buy.com" or Buy.con" or "Buy.con sucks!!" will yeild a definate and loud HELL YAH!!

Now, you will also find 1 or 2 posts that sing the praises of Buy, but keep in mind that there are far far far more that have had negative experience.....and not just with the 50 for 50 fiasco, or any other con, i am talking aout legitimate, no "grey" area transactions that have had nothing but problems....

Stay away, stay far far away!

You have been warned!
<HR>

I've seen quite a few mentions about Buy.com's "50 off 50 fiasco". What was that about?
Old 08-09-00, 07:29 PM
Mod Emeritus

A third party handles Buy.com's CD, DVD, and VHS shipping. The same company almost certainly handles the returns. Whoever is handling this for them, doesn't seem to do a real good job. On the other hand, I've never had any problems with Buy when ordering computer parts or supplies.

------------------
Mexico here I come :-)

D.
Old 08-10-00, 02:19 PM

The 50 off 50 fiasco is what alot of people use to excuse BUY's horrible, absolute $h!t service!!!!

Back in late June BUY made a mistake with a coupon they offered unstead of being $50 off of $500 or some large $ amount, it posted as a $50 off $50 purchase, and the checkout cart let you apply it to a $50 order. This meant that it wasnt just a typo in the coupon, but entered into the system wrong. Now, there was mnuch much much debate of wether it was right or wrong to use an obviously miss posted coupon, but many did, and of course BUY.COM couldnt afford to eat the literly $1000's of dollars that it would have lost. Instead they threatened prosecution, and cancled many many orders.

Well, yep, it might have been obvious that the coupon was in error, but when it rang up at the checkout, it should have been honored. Just like if an item is misslabled in a B&M store, they are required by law to give it to you at the marked price!!!!!!!

In any case, this whole mess is what those who support BUY (read TROLL!! ) use as a defense against the absloute worst service known to man! The reason i mentioned it was taht I and many many others were not part of that problem, and it should in no way excuse the lack of service or the troubles we as reel transfer custemers experienced! After all, if the lady in front of you in line tries to pass a bad check, or conterfit currency, would you accept being screwed when you got to the counter....uhhhh NO!!!!

Old 08-10-00, 08:10 PM
setaanbomb

Once again, I have never had a problem with Buy.com. I have purchased everything from there and I will continue to purchase everything from them.

Zero complaints here.

------------------
Not without my DVD!
Old 08-10-00, 09:23 PM
Cool New Member

On a scale from one to ten I'd rate Buy.com a minus three. Why buy from a store with such shoddy customer service when there are so many others to choose from!
Old 08-13-00, 12:15 AM

Just sounds like a lot of sour grapes from many people, like that $50 for $50 deal, something for nothing, and then upset when they don't get it....I know my reel orders took a few weeks, but they were transfered..some people have waited a very long time, that I think is a legitmate gripe...but for me, buy is a great place to purchase from, no complaints at all.
Old 08-13-00, 02:49 PM

In my experience buy.com has always been great to me. They're fast and reliable and I'll always use them. I don't work for them but they deserve credit where credit is due. A lot of people don't like them for the many problems they've had from bad web page programming but other than that they are no different than the other stores.
Old 08-13-00, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No problem here...and I have purchased quite a number of dvds from them in the past six months. Now with Amazon and Express offering a whopping 25% off on dvds in stock, I will definitely continue to purchase my dvds through Buy.com!!!
Old 08-14-00, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've had no problems with buy.com in the past
but lately that's changed. Here's what happened today.

I called buy.com earlier today and when an
account rep came on I asked to speak with a
manager. After a while someone came on and I
told him that in one 20 item order 8 preorder
dvd's have streeted and only one shipped. This was in addition to 2 dvd's that went immediatly to backorder, the order was placed
on July 1. He called the warehouse and told
me that five of the items would ship today and two were still on backorder, seems they
got them in on Friday. I said that was ok and
went to lunch.

When I got back from lunch I had an email thanking me for an order. Which was strange
since I hadn't placed an order. When I checked my account on thier site I found an order placed today which duplicated items 5 - 15 on my July 1 order. I called and
explained the situation to the ar and after
much consultation she told me they would ship
me a label and I could ship the item back.
My credit card would be charged for all items
shipped. She said there was no way they could
cancel the order. I told her that wasn't acceptable and I needed to speak with a manager/supervisor, I had to do this twice.
Finally Allen came on the line and I explained it to him, he called the warehouse.
Allen said that those items had "dropped off
my order" (even they are still there when I
view the order) and they were reordered. He
couldn't explain why just these and not the
other preorders had "dropped off". He then
told me that basically the same ones I'd been
told earlier would ship, only now tomorrow and not today. He assured me that I wouldn't
be double shipped. As an explanation for all
this he said they had been having problems since taking on reel.com customers, seems they hadn't been expecting the volume. He gave me his extension but refused to give me
his last name. Btw, this also moves my "purchase date" a month and a half ahead. And
since according to thier cs they ship preorders which they haven't ordered enough
copies for by date purchased first, this makes it even more likely that I won't get
these preorders when they street.

I've ordered quite a few dvd's, cd's, and
books from buy.com and have always before now
had no problem. But this doesn't look good,
if it shakes out ok I'll still order from them. I still have about 20 preordered dvd's and know better than to try to cancel them.
But if things don't work out as I was told I'll take my business elsewhere. I don't need
this kind of grief, I'll buy from other etailers or from a b&m.