Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Target wouldn't price match and called security on me.

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-13, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was at the 651 W Sepulveda Blvd, Carson, CA 90745 store at 4:40 PM PST and brought up a copy of Supernatural S7 DVD to pm against Walmart's online price (of $14.96). I've done pm's successfully at this store before and didn't expect a problem, boy was I wrong.

First, they had me wait 20 minutes, because the only person with a key to the ipad was in the restroom. They brought it out eventually, without any sort of explanation or apology (I had to ask) and when the first person didn't know what they were doing the second took over and told me that the percentage discount was way too high for them to be able to match it.

I asked them to check with someone else and she said that she would, and the guy that she brought over looked at the ipad for 10 minutes before telling me no. His reason was that Wal-Mart didn't include the word "sale" on the SPN DVD page and they didn't have dates of when the sale would be running from. He was looking at me like an idiot for not understanding his claim that the word "sale" had to be there online. I said that the price was clearly there on the page, and I was just trying to pm that. At this point he was giving me a hard stare, like I was a criminal who was trying to take advantage of them. I asked him to check the pm policy and/or call customer service to get this straightened out, he looked like he was about to, but then twisted his face in a nasty smile and called security instead.

I asked him what was going on? I said that I wasn't cursing, raising my voice, insulting him, or anything of that nature, just asking him to call corporate. The other employees all walked away, looking to get out of the way, and I then kept saying that I wanted to talk to a supervisor. Eventually they got one, a woman named Maribelle who had no patience for my side of the story, because her employee was "clearly" right. I asked to see the pm policy, she claimed that they didn't have it, gave me the customer service number and told me that they would mail me one so I could see how I was wrong.

I called customer service when I got home, they confirmed that I was right and said that they'd talk to the appropriate people. I want to see those idiots fired though, does anyone know how easy or hard it is to manage that?

For anyone interested who doesn't have it already, here's Target's policy: https://corporate.target.com/about/s...-promise#q4069
Old 04-12-13, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: Target wouldn't price match and called security on me.

You're story is incredible. I had a situation last week where the target employees I dealt with didn't want to price match amazon on an item, but at that point I just went to amazon. Im sorry you went through this and it sounds to me that Target has done the bare minimum in training their employees on their new PM policy.
Old 04-12-13, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should have called customer service from our car before you left. I hope you follow up on this and file a complaint with corporate.
Old 04-12-13, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by DirkUSA
You should have called customer service from our car before you left. I hope you follow up on this and file a complaint with corporate.
I'm a little fuzzy on this. So you were with him?
Old 04-12-13, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash
I want to see those idiots fired though, does anyone know how easy or hard it is to manage that?
Go here: http://consumerist.com/ click submit a tip. They would love this.
Old 04-12-13, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
You aren't going to get them fired. You had a bad experience, leave it at that.
Agreed. People are far too quick to want to ruin people's lives over something that is ultimately trivial. Why not just order the dvd from Wal-Mart in the first place?
Old 04-12-13, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Agreed. People are far too quick to want to ruin people's lives over something that is ultimately trivial. Why not just order the dvd from Wal-Mart in the first place?
They called security on the guy because they didn't want to deal with him. That's not that trivial. They didn't want to be bothered and take a moment to properly check into their own rules and help a customer and rather had him kicked out of the store. Screw them. They deserve to be fired or at the very least reprimanded.
Old 04-12-13, 11:00 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm sure this is the full story, and there aren't any relevant details being omitted.
Old 04-12-13, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
I'm sure this is the full story, and there aren't any relevant details being omitted.
I'm sure there possibly are but that's a typically lazy snarky reply. All the same the stores at fault. They should either know the rules or take the time to find out instead of letting a situation escalate.
Old 04-12-13, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad you said that! I really hate the whole price match thing. Typically (and I'm not saying anyone here) the people who take advantage of this are weasels.

If a company goes and offers the best price I'll just buy from them and reward them for having the best price. If I can't stand that particular store or company I'll happily pay more to a company I'm glad is in business and services my right.
Old 04-12-13, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think you getting a season of Supernatural for three dollars cheaper is really worth someone getting fired over.

If they punched you in the face, then maybe it should be considered.
Old 04-12-13, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He's strapped for cash, so that three bucks really does make a difference.
Old 04-12-13, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
Damn, Tarantino stole my line.

I think the best you can hope for is the employees being told they were wrong and handled it poorly.
Old 04-12-13, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tarantino
If he's that strapped for cash he shouldn't be buying Supernatural S7. But then again if he had all the money in the world he still shouldn't be buying Supernatural S7. So it's a push tie goes to the employee.
Old 04-12-13, 02:03 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

UPDATE: Fired. Home, families, jobs, even pets...GONE. Mission accomplished.
Old 04-12-13, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, this thread sure shows the character of some people. Why jump the OP sharing his experience in the proper store forum?
Old 04-12-13, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by kayak99
Wow, this thread sure shows the character of some people. Why jump the OP sharing his experience in the proper store forum?
You bash the character of some people, yet say nothing of the OP wanting to fire everyone he came in contact with in this experience? Over not getting his way for a dvd set, no less. Come on now.
Old 04-12-13, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kayak99
OP apologist!!!! He wished termination of employment in this day an age were so many can't find work because he didn't get a discount?

Yes I say the flaws of characters are showing up quite nicely here.
Old 04-12-13, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
You're story is incredible. I had a situation last week where the target employees I dealt with didn't want to price match amazon on an item, but at that point I just went to amazon. Im sorry you went through this and it sounds to me that Target has done the bare minimum in training their employees on their new PM policy.
Thanks very much for the kind words. My sympathies on your experience, I'm glad that it wasn't as bad as mine. Again, this store has been okay with pm's in the past, so I don't know what happened with these people. I'm at a loss to explain some of that behavior. Thanks again.
Old 04-12-13, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DirkUSA
I wanted to calm down, absorb the experience for a few minutes and I knew that going back in there, even with cust. service on the phone, wouldn't be a good idea. But I called cust. service soon, about half an hour later. I don't know of a separate number for corporate, but I'll look for one. Thanks.
Old 04-12-13, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
You aren't going to get them fired. You had a bad experience, leave it at that.
I would have, but the one guy in particular who read the ipad for 10 minutes, who was looking at me hard, he looked like a psycho, an axe murderer or something. If it was just three idiots who didn't know their jobs then I would leave it, but there was definitely something wrong with that guy. A year from now if the news reports that he killed customers, or took them hostage or something like that, then I'd know that I didn't do all I could to stop it.
Old 04-12-13, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by stingermck
Go here: http://consumerist.com/ click submit a tip. They would love this.
Thanks for the advice, that sounds like a very good idea and I'll follow up on it shortly.
Old 04-12-13, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Target is closer.
Target is always less busy ime.
I've had better experiences at Target, up until now.
Last I checked the Wal-Mart by me didn't have it in stock and Target did.
I had gift cards for Target, but not Wal-Mart.

Taken together those seemed good reasons at the time.
Old 04-12-13, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Pizza
They called security on the guy because they didn't want to deal with him. That's not that trivial. They didn't want to be bothered and take a moment to properly check into their own rules and help a customer and rather had him kicked out of the store. Screw them. They deserve to be fired or at the very least reprimanded.
Thank you very much. That definitely makes sense to me.
Old 04-12-13, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
I understand your hesitance, you don't know me, but this is absolutely the full and complete story from my end. I don't regularly go online and ask for sympathy from people, but all you can see is my history here and that shows that I haven't ever posted a thread like this before.

Any other parts of the story, maybe there was a guy abusing the pm policy earlier in the day, maybe one of their coworkers was in an accident and they were distressed, maybe somebody there was racist, etc. I don't know.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.