DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Anyone still get dvds through netflix? Uptick in broken discs? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/608757-anyone-still-get-dvds-through-netflix-uptick-broken-discs.html)

mikehunt 02-16-13 12:39 PM

Anyone still get dvds through netflix? Uptick in broken discs?

I've been getting a lot of broken discs lately. Mainly single cracks running from the hole in the middle outward but 2 days ago it was a crack across the disc that resulted in it being in 2 pieces in the envelope.
Has netflix's quality control gone to hell or is it possible I have an issue with the local post office or my mail man?

OldBoy 02-16-13 12:49 PM

Re: Anyone still get dvds through netflix? Uptick in broken discs?

i get discs all the time and never had an issue.

rexinnih 02-16-13 01:02 PM

I'm purely BD with them but never had an issue.

Baron Of Hell 02-16-13 01:16 PM

I haven't gotten a broken disc in over a year. Could be your local mail provider is the problem. Also I haven't gotten many kid shows but when I did more than a few were scratched to hell.

Trevor 02-16-13 04:11 PM

Haven't done discs with them in awhile, but back when I did I would have at least 1 or 2 out of 20 arrive cracked.

EdTheRipper 02-16-13 05:58 PM

I'm still getting discs. No broken ones recently, but I have been getting a lot that are just scratched to the point that they were unplayable.

Nick Danger 02-16-13 08:15 PM

I'm getting about one disk a week. None of them are broken, and only one or two in the last year have had a problem playing.

rw2516 02-17-13 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper (Post 11581402)
I have been getting a lot that are just scratched to the point that they were unplayable.

It appears that as their inventory ages this is becoming more common.

Bandoman 02-17-13 09:54 AM

I get BDs mostly, with some DVDs. I've been with netflix for three years, and I've had only two discs with scratches/cracks that prevented them from playing.

drmar35mm 02-27-13 04:08 PM

I had one last year, and a couple in the prior 8 years. So, very few problems with broken disks.

Mattflix 03-26-13 10:16 AM

I have the 2 discs at a time program and tear through them like nobody's business, and I've been mostly fine lately.

However there was a point in the middle of last year where I was getting broken discs all the time. I had TWO copies in a row of Strange Days come cracked. At least they're good about sending you a replacement along with the next disc in your queue, so you temporarily have your subscribed amount of discs +1 at a time.

JeffTheAlpaca 03-26-13 03:46 PM

Usually they never get broken

Netflix is what I rely on for new releases and you can't get them through streaming.

Chad 03-26-13 05:23 PM

I had a brief problem with cracked Blu-rays back in 2008 (mentioned in this thread) that went away after roughly a month. I'm still on the same 4-out plan and in the past 5 years I've had maybe 2 instances and both were DVDs.

carrrv 11-23-13 05:55 PM

After 5 years of nearly 100% cracked free disks I'm getting at least 1 in 10 cracked over the last year. Enough bto make me want to uinsubscribe.

Numanoid 11-29-13 11:33 PM

^ It's almost as if they wanted you to go streaming only. ;)

drmar35mm 11-30-13 09:32 AM

It's happened three or four times in nine years; once in a while a disk won't play. For the most part I'm still happy with Netflix's DVD service.

mikehunt 12-01-13 12:40 PM

well after a few weeks in a row of a bunch of broken discs I've had good luck lately

datarush 04-03-15 11:39 PM

Just lately I've had 3 broken discs. All 3 were Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

rw2516 04-04-15 05:49 AM

Netflix pays the post office extra millions each year to keep their envelopes separate from other mail. Netflix envelopes are supposed to be handled by hand and not run through any machine.
If you are getting a lot of broken/cracked discs, your local PO is not doing what Netflix is paying them for and running the envelopes through the machine.
I always mail back by putting the envelope on my mailbox. When my mailman picks them up he keeps them separate from other mail he picks up.
I also rent from Classic Flix. Would get broken/cracked discs all the time, especially the dvd-rs. Now the envelopes state "do not run through xxxx machine" on them and haven't gotten a broken one since.

mikehunt 04-05-15 11:32 AM

Since the initial large number that caused me to do the thread I've had pretty good luck. Had an occasional broken one, and some that were scratched bad enough to cause playback to lock up so that I would have to kill the application, restart playback and manually move the slider past that point in the movie but that's been fairly rare