Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

ebay: Buyuer claims item arrived damaged. What are my options?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

ebay: Buyuer claims item arrived damaged. What are my options?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-13, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts
Re: ebay: Buyuer claims item arrived damaged. What are my options?

Originally Posted by Al_Tahoe
If you're shipping First Class and you purchase online, do they still give you a discount on the tracking? Thanks.
Yeah, I think it's nineteen cents.
Old 02-22-13, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Al_Tahoe
If you're shipping First Class and you purchase online, do they still give you a discount on the tracking? Thanks.
If you ship First Class Package at https://www.paypal.com/shipnow , then tracking is free, and you also get Commercial Plus pricing, which is a discount off of Retail pricing.
Old 02-22-13, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B.
If you ship First Class Package at https://www.paypal.com/shipnow , then tracking is free, and you also get Commercial Plus pricing, which is a discount off of Retail pricing.
You know, that is right. I was confused becuase I recently shipped something first class via paypal, and it showed nineteen cents on the first page, but I think that's something they just havent updated. It was free on the checkout screen.
Old 02-22-13, 10:20 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Then if you didn't buy insurance and it gets messed up, the seller still doesn't win.
Insurance means shit.

If the buyers gets it they can remove all the stuffing and walk into the post office. They will say it wasn't packaged properly and you will lose.

I know, it happened to me. The item traveled 65 miles. I still lost. I had insured it. I lost. I took pictures. I lost. I spent hours, fucking hours, with eBay, I lost. I have 1400 feedbacks and they had 20. I lost.
Old 02-23-13, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Instead of starting a new thread I'll post my latest issue here. I came across a bunch of brand new and sealed book sets for kids that I've been selling on Amazon for $150. Just got an email from Amazon for a return request for the last one I sold. Here is the reason the buyer wants to return it.
"Buyer comments: This product is not working with my child. He is not interested in it at all. "
Like I said. These sets were brand new and sealed. Am I actually going to have to accept the return and refund his money?
Old 02-23-13, 06:43 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
"Sorry, since you have opened them, I cannot accept returns."
Thats what I was thinking. However, I guarantee the buyer will open an A-Z claim against me and Amazon will side with the buyer and force me to issue a refund. Then they'll hold disbursements for 30 days.
Old 02-25-13, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JZ1276
Like I said. These sets were brand new and sealed. Am I actually going to have to accept the return and refund his money?
This is the information you probably want:

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/...cont_200700300

It looks like Amazon doesn't force you to accept returns, but they do encourage you to offer policies that are similar to Amazon's own return policies.

For your situation in particular, check out the Restocking fees section.

What is a reasonable restocking fee?

A restocking fee is a percentage of the item's price depending on the type of item and condition in which it is returned. If you wish, you may charge a restocking fee up to the following amounts:

Up to 50% of item's price:
Books with obvious signs of use.
CDs, DVDs, VHS tapes, software, video games, cassette tapes, or vinyl records that have been opened (taken out of the plastic wrap).
Also, you don't have to refund shipping costs:

If you described and listed the item accurately, but the buyer simply no longer wants it, you have the option to refund the item price but not to refund the shipping costs.
Also, it's linked on another page, but the buyer is also responsible for the return shipping.

So, I would suggest that you might want to offer the buyer a refund if they return it, but they would have to ship it at their expense, shipping charges are non-refundable, and the restocking fee is up to 50% of the purchase price (your call on this).

I wouldn't worry too much about A-Z. Maybe they won't file it. Or if they do, you have his e-mail as proof that it's a buyer's remorse situation, and not a material difference issue, and that you already offered to let them return it.
Old 02-25-13, 06:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a single retailer would accept returns on opened media, just exchanges for the same item. Would amazon even accept the return? New media being treated as a rental?
Old 02-26-13, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 895 Likes on 720 Posts

Gizmo, after that horror story, I hope you're done with Ebay, and say good riddance!
Old 02-26-13, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by adrenaline78
Not a single retailer would accept returns on opened media, just exchanges for the same item. Would amazon even accept the return? New media being treated as a rental?
Actually, Amazon does provide refunds on opened media. But only 50% of the original price:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...&nodeId=901926