DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   The complaining about Amazon thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/605782-complaining-about-amazon-thread.html)

Decker 12-03-19 09:44 AM

Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 13648391)
And why even have it in the bathroom?

1) News and weather updates while I get ready for work.
2) Playing music while in the shower or bath
3) Listening to sports radio while getting ready in the morning
4) Turning on and off a UV sterilization device I keep in the bathroom
5) Occasionally reordering shaving supplies as I need them.

TomOpus 12-03-19 01:02 PM

I would think there would be easy alternatives to each of those. The bathroom would be the last place I'd want an active listening device.

dex14 12-03-19 01:32 PM

"Alexa... please play JOI."

stvn1974 12-03-19 03:48 PM

"Hello, Dave, I have predicted that you have wiped your ass 200 times since you last ordered toilet paper. Would you like me to place an order now?"

Shannon Nutt 12-04-19 06:18 AM

What happened to Amazon's online customer service? Their "Chat" is now a robot (it says you can connect to a live person, but I can't figure out how to do so - they just keep giving you options to click on, but no option to chat live or type anything in on your own) and their link to email them has totally disappeared. You can have them call you if you want.

Has it been like this for a long time and I'm just now noticing? :(

Meathead 12-04-19 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 13649857)
What happened to Amazon's online customer service? Their "Chat" is now a robot (it says you can connect to a live person, but I can't figure out how to do so - they just keep giving you options to click on, but no option to chat live or type anything in on your own) and their link to email them has totally disappeared. You can have them call you if you want.

Maybe a month or so... it was just there one day. You have to either navigate the options til you can type or scroll to the bottom and click on 'I Need More Help'. Once you get a box you can type in, just put in live person and you'll get connected.

Decker 12-04-19 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 13649487)
I would think there would be easy alternatives to each of those. The bathroom would be the last place I'd want an active listening device.

Sure there are alternatives, this works better for me.
Here’s the thing though : isn’t a smart phone an active listening device as well? If you say “Hey Google” or “Hey Siri” your phone well respond.

TomOpus 12-04-19 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13649912)
Here’s the thing though : isn’t a smart phone an active listening device as well? If you say “Hey Google” or “Hey Siri” your phone well respond.

I have to bring up Google, otherwise my phone just stares back.

andicus 12-04-19 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13649912)

It's configurable, at least on an iPhone.

zyzzle 12-04-19 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 13649857)

Oh my, that's hideously bad. The few times that I did have problems with Amazon orders, I must give them credit for handling them well, and usually over live chat. In olden days, I actually CALLED them over the phone, and also had good experiences.

NOW, all bets are off, it seems, let's check the boxes

- No live person chat
- No telephone number to call -- or if so, you're connected to India with a robot anyway.
- No E-mail support now ??!!!

What's left, crying to the nearest rock on how the mighty have fallen?

Is my understanding of "the new way" of customer service at Amazon incorrect?

TomOpus 12-05-19 01:09 PM

The only kind of complaining I can do is about the delivery dates shuffling to a later date and then arriving early. And I'm sure it was due to Black Friday/Cyber Monday because usually they're accurate. And they gave me a $1 credit because I used my Prime Delivery Day of Friday and it's out for delivery right now (Thursday).

Decker 12-05-19 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by andicus (Post 13649996)
It's configurable, at least on an iPhone.

Sure, but so is Alexa. And supposedly, the Echo only starts listening if you say the wake word "Alexa". If the fear is that someone can listen in when you don't want them to, then it's certainly possible that could happen on a cell phone as well, right?

Noonan 12-05-19 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13650564)
Sure, but so is Alexa. And supposedly, the Echo only starts listening if you say the wake word "Alexa". If the fear is that someone can listen in when you don't want them to, then it's certainly possible that could happen on a cell phone as well, right?

If they're not already listening, how do they know you say "alexa" in the first place? :lol:

andicus 12-05-19 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 13650572)
If they're not already listening, how do they know you say "alexa" in the first place? :lol:

Exactly.

My assumption, and it could easily be incorrect, is that when I tell iOS not to listen for 'Hey Siri' that it's not listening for anything. Unless, I hold the home button.

I just recently disabled it, as iOS 13.1.3 is brutal on battery life. Since it would have to be listening all the time, I figured that was contributing to battery drain.

IDrinkMolson 12-05-19 04:31 PM

Got an email this morning my order was cancelled because it was undeliverable?! It's a "TBA" tracking number, so doesn't that mean it goes through Amazon delivery? It never went to "out for delivery".

And to top it off, they're not giving me a refund until they receive it back?? How is that my fault?

I didn't ask them to cancel it, why didn't they just resend it? Of course it was a couple of "black Friday weekend" deals.

The only way this could be "undeliverable" was either there was something wrong with the mailing label, or their employee decided they didn't want to deliver it. It was determined to be undeliverable at 4:57am too?

And of course I got a different delivery from Amazon today, only this one came by FedEx.

Undeliverable
Unfortunately, a problem occurred during shipping and we had to cancel your delivery. The package is being returned, and we will issue a refund within 3 - 5 business days after the return is processed. We’re very sorry for the inconvenience.

Thursday, December 5
5:00 AM
Package arrived at a carrier facility

4:59 AM
Returning to seller

4:57 AM
Package is undeliverable

Wednesday, December 4
9:01 AM
Package arrived at a carrier facility

3:39 AM
Package departed an Amazon facility

Tuesday, December 3
Package has shipped

Noonan 12-06-19 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by andicus (Post 13650573)
Exactly.

My assumption, and it could easily be incorrect, is that when I tell iOS not to listen for 'Hey Siri' that it's not listening for anything. Unless, I hold the home button.

I just recently disabled it, as iOS 13.1.3 is brutal on battery life. Since it would have to be listening all the time, I figured that was contributing to battery drain.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...f600f06761.jpg

fujishig 12-13-19 08:25 AM

Urgh, who thinks it's a good idea to put stickers on the slipcovers of blu-rays? On both sides too! Where's my goo-gone...

TomOpus 12-13-19 09:20 AM

What stickers would Amazon put a blu-ray? I've never had them do that.

fujishig 12-13-19 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 13654913)
What stickers would Amazon put a blu-ray? I've never had them do that.

It's two barcode stickers, one on the front and one on the back. The weird thing is the barcodes aren't even the same and they're not covering the existing barcode.

Looking it up, these are LPN stickers which means some kind of return (although the blu-ray itself is sealed). Maybe the second guy returned it because he didn't like that it already had a barcode sticker on it. But that kind of sucks because I bought this as "new."

TomOpus 12-13-19 05:02 PM

Huh, weird shit. Might be smoking funny cigs at the fulfilment center.

DJariya 12-20-19 12:55 PM

Hmmm, in my area, it looks like Amazon is not allowing the use of lockers for BDs.

I tried to get Creed II sent to a locker, due to the porch pirate risk going on, and it would not allow it as my delivery address. It says this item requires "special handling" which is BS. I had no issues before. Maybe the lockers are too full with small items and they only want them used for bigger and most expensive stuff.

rduncan 12-20-19 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13658748)
Hmmm, it my area, it looks like Amazon is not allowing the use of lockers for BDs.

I tried to get Creed II sent to a locker, due to the porch pirate risk going on, and it would not allow it as my delivery address. It says this item requires "special handling" which is BS. I had no issues before. Maybe the lockers are too full of small items and they only want them used for bigger and most expensive stuff.

I wonder if the lockers you requested are already full or if you ordered something else immediately after if that would be delivered there?

rduncan 12-21-19 07:35 PM

I found this interesting. Discussing How Amazon Squeezes the businesses behind their store. From what I've read in the past they are following WalMarts store practices with their vendors.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/19/t...n-sellers.html

Troy Stiffler 12-23-19 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13658748)
Hmmm, in my area, it looks like Amazon is not allowing the use of lockers for BDs.

I tried to get Creed II sent to a locker, due to the porch pirate risk going on, and it would not allow it as my delivery address. It says this item requires "special handling" which is BS. I had no issues before. Maybe the lockers are too full with small items and they only want them used for bigger and most expensive stuff.

Amazon knows how to track its costs down to the penny. Including the cost of leaving a package in a locker. They're probably not profiting enough to allow it.

joe_b 12-24-19 10:57 AM

I returned a fulfilled by Amazon item this afternoon. When submitting my return request, it simply listed "Refund" as the only option. I assumed the money would go right back to my credit card, as there was no option to select a gift card for a quicker refund -- which I didn't want anyway.

I received a refund confirmation e-mail after I dropped off the package stating the return total was "now available" to use on my account. Sure enough, they'd processed the refund as a gift card without me having selected that. This has never happened before and if it's some new policy, I'm done shopping there.

I opened a chat and asked that the amount be refunded back to my original payment method. The rep said "Good thing you didn't spend this balance already, otherwise I wouldn't be able to reverse this." Not that I needed his clarification, but it should have never happened to begin with.