Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

The complaining about Amazon thread

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

The complaining about Amazon thread

Old 06-20-18, 11:48 PM
  #901  
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,046
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Funny nobody's mentioned the fact that Amazon has stopped selling PSN codes and Sony's 1st party PS4 games are no longer up for pre-order. Amazon picked another bullshit fight that's hurting customers.
Old 06-21-18, 12:26 PM
  #902  
DVD Talk Legend
 
mattysemo247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 12,551
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Yeah, the PSN code thing is really pissing me off since I have a bunch of digital credit that I was sitting on that is getting ready to expire now.
Old 06-21-18, 02:23 PM
  #903  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Amazon's fight with random companies are one of my only annoyances with them. Like with Disney and selling their movies.
Old 06-21-18, 02:33 PM
  #904  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
stvn1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 7,598
Received 646 Likes on 393 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

I received an non-damaged order from amazon today. Rarely happens. Looks like I can expect the next 150 to be trashed.
Old 06-21-18, 02:37 PM
  #905  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 53,061
Received 1,084 Likes on 892 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Amazon's fight with random companies are one of my only annoyances with them. Like with Disney and selling their movies.
This is my major issue. It's annoying to drive to Target to get the latest Disney movie.
Old 06-23-18, 10:46 PM
  #906  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 963
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by Sonic
I hate the login double signing. I had thought they got rid of it but it came back.
I never understood what it gains them over a single login page. Anybody who's programming a bot can just as easily submit two forms instead of one. But it doesn't really bother me.

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I received an non-damaged order from amazon today. Rarely happens. Looks like I can expect the next 150 to be trashed.
After complaining to Amazon UK about my packages arriving held together with little more than the shipper's packing tape and one package actually losing two items as a result, subsequent packages have arrived in perfect shape. They're still coming from Asendia, so that hasn't changed. It could be a fluke or it could be they really listened.
Old 06-27-18, 06:30 PM
  #907  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 323
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Ordered a few CDs, mostly sold by Amazon. Two were not but were FBA (different sellers) and of course I opened my package to find that those two were just used with new shrink wrap on them. I chose to chat with a representative and was told I could either do a partial refund or send them back for a full refund. I had been looking for one of the CDs for a while so I chose the partial refund on that, and will be sending the other one back.

One of those two CDs was sold by a seller that I have ordered from before and experienced the same issue. Last time I spoke with their customer service and they acted like it was a one-off thing.

I asked the representative if there was a way to report the seller since it's not my first time having that experience and they said they would. I'm not sure what exactly will happen, if anything, but I hope some sort of action is taken.
Old 06-27-18, 11:30 PM
  #908  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Sonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 19,353
Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

@rjh 54

It reminds me of the days I bought CD's from Ebay and sellers would list them "New" only to arrive used with scratches.

Dishonesty sellers are found in the bulk on Amazon marketplace and ebay. Anything to make a quick buck.
Old 06-28-18, 05:01 AM
  #909  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 10,056
Received 969 Likes on 777 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I received an non-damaged order from amazon today. Rarely happens. Looks like I can expect the next 150 to be trashed.
In a rare (!) Amazon purchase, the two very heavy (15 #) books were shipped in a box far too large, loose, with NO padding or cushioning of any kind. They arrived damaged, of course, bent and scratched.

I grumbled and Amazon offered me 20% off... Since that came to a $38.xx refund, I cut my losses and made a mental note to not order heavy, expensive books on Amazon ever again.

It is a shame, since I still occasionally used Amazon for what they (at one time) did best, selling books. Now, that last, great bastion has disappeared, since Amazon obviously no longer cares to package orders with care, or even adequately.

I guess their packaging robots haven't been programmed to take weight or cost of package contents into consideration when shipping....
Old 06-28-18, 02:18 PM
  #910  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 323
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by Sonic
@rjh 54

It reminds me of the days I bought CD's from Ebay and sellers would list them "New" only to arrive used with scratches.

Dishonesty sellers are found in the bulk on Amazon marketplace and ebay. Anything to make a quick buck.
The worst part about it is that these sellers get mostly positive feedback because buyers are either too stupid to realize they're being sold used items or they just don't care. Oddly enough, my negative feedback doesn't seem to appear after I leave it. What kills me is I see people leaving negative feedback about the seller with it crossed out and a message from Amazon taking responsibility for the bad experience because the order is fulfilled by them. I guess it is their responsibility in a way since they're allowing this to continue. What will it take for these sellers to get shut down?
Old 06-28-18, 02:25 PM
  #911  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 27,881
Received 901 Likes on 760 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by rjh_54
The worst part about it is that these sellers get mostly positive feedback because buyers are either too stupid to realize they're being sold used items or they just don't care. Oddly enough, my negative feedback doesn't seem to appear after I leave it. What kills me is I see people leaving negative feedback about the seller with it crossed out and a message from Amazon taking responsibility for the bad experience because the order is fulfilled by them. I guess it is their responsibility in a way since they're allowing this to continue. What will it take for these sellers to get shut down?
Any negative feedback on a third-party Prime fulfillment order gets nullified by Amazon itself if the seller challenges it. It's a scam to favor Prime sellers in the feedback ratings.
Old 06-29-18, 05:49 AM
  #912  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 323
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Any negative feedback on a third-party Prime fulfillment order gets nullified by Amazon itself if the seller challenges it. It's a scam to favor Prime sellers in the feedback ratings.
I figured it was something like that. It's disgusting.
Old 06-29-18, 04:30 PM
  #913  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 54,516
Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Any negative feedback on a third-party Prime fulfillment order gets nullified by Amazon itself if the seller challenges it. It's a scam to favor Prime sellers in the feedback ratings.
Wow, I didn't know that.
Old 07-07-18, 06:38 PM
  #914  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Troy Stiffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Under an I-10 Overpass
Posts: 25,962
Received 392 Likes on 279 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Any negative feedback on a third-party Prime fulfillment order gets nullified by Amazon itself if the seller challenges.
No. It only happens when the feedback specifically refers to a shipping or customer service complaint - as those are amazons job. Itís actually a pain unless the feedback is very obviously attacking shipping (ie shipped late).

Also Amazon restricts sellers in the media category. There is a whole process to get approved to sell media on there. And they frequently ban anyone who winds up with customer complaints.

If you really have a problem with your dvd being used, it gets the sellers account in trouble if you do a return and state that it wasnít new. Feedback is left at a rate of under 1% on Amazon.

Also the feedback isnít removed. It will have a strike thru it. Only a buyer can actually remove a feedback.
Old 07-07-18, 07:31 PM
  #915  
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,046
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
No. It only happens when the feedback specifically refers to a shipping or customer service complaint - as those are amazons job. Itís actually a pain unless the feedback is very obviously attacking shipping (ie shipped late).

Also Amazon restricts sellers in the media category. There is a whole process to get approved to sell media on there. And they frequently ban anyone who winds up with customer complaints.

If you really have a problem with your dvd being used, it gets the sellers account in trouble if you do a return and state that it wasnít new. Feedback is left at a rate of under 1% on Amazon.

Also the feedback isnít removed. It will have a strike thru it. Only a buyer can actually remove a feedback.
Bullshit. I've seen the strikethrough after I complained about DVDs/BDs having the UPC gouged. That's NOT new by Amazon's own policy, and the seller fucking did it before it got to Amazon.
Old 07-07-18, 07:54 PM
  #916  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 44,598
Received 2,971 Likes on 2,029 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by Viper187
Bullshit. I've seen the strikethrough after I complained about DVDs/BDs having the UPC gouged. That's NOT new by Amazon's own policy, and the seller fucking did it before it got to Amazon.
It's probably not the seller that did that. It's the distributor that does that when they remainder out overstock so the items.

At any rate, the seller should not that the barcode is cut in the description, or not sell it as "new."

An actual cut on the case and insert should drop the condition down to VERY GOOD or GOOD (depending on the damage) whether or not it is sill sealed.
Old 07-07-18, 08:45 PM
  #917  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 27,881
Received 901 Likes on 760 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
No. It only happens when the feedback specifically refers to a shipping or customer service complaint - as those are amazons job. Itís actually a pain unless the feedback is very obviously attacking shipping (ie shipped late).

Also Amazon restricts sellers in the media category. There is a whole process to get approved to sell media on there. And they frequently ban anyone who winds up with customer complaints.

If you really have a problem with your dvd being used, it gets the sellers account in trouble if you do a return and state that it wasnít new. Feedback is left at a rate of under 1% on Amazon.

Also the feedback isnít removed. It will have a strike thru it. Only a buyer can actually remove a feedback.
It's amazing how often negative feedback on Prime sellers gets blamed on Amazon's shipping and handling. The strikethrough feedback doesn't get used in the overall feedback score, which is how most sellers want it.
Old 07-14-18, 03:22 PM
  #918  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Troy Stiffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Under an I-10 Overpass
Posts: 25,962
Received 392 Likes on 279 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by Viper187
Bullshit. I've seen the strikethrough after I complained about DVDs/BDs having the UPC gouged. That's NOT new by Amazon's own policy, and the seller fucking did it before it got to Amazon.
Amazon Fulfillment requires that barcodes be covered. If the UPC is gouged, it may have been gouged for a few reasons. Distributors will also damage barcodes on purpose for similar reasons, or when the products enter an overstock/liquidation phase.

There's also "co-mingled" inventory. It's a headache. Legitimate sellers tend to opt-out. And Amazon should get rid of it. Unless the seller opts out, Amazon throws everyone's SKU's into a big pot, and will ship the most convenient and/or closest unit to ship. It makes it virtually impossible to track down who mislabels their products, who sells counterfeits, or who sells resealed DVD's. Your DVD with the gouged UPC code was quite likely not from the seller you bought it from.

Another thing to realize about DVD's, is there is absolutely no profit for a small business to be buying/selling factory-authorized media. So if you see a third party seller selling a DVD on Amazon, it's an overstock/liquidation or sketchy repackaged product.

It is a process to get a strikethrough. It is not easy. If you've seen it done, it may be from very persistent sellers. If your feedback doesn't qualify for a strikethrough, you may be able to still get it done after you keep calling and emailing. But most sellers would be too timid to do that, as too much interaction between a seller and Amazon will likely result in account suspension. Amazon sees third party sellers as pests and tend to ban accounts who report too many lost products, feedback requests, etc. If you question or hassle Amazon too much, you're gone. There is no real human interface. They are not nice people. And they only care about their bottom line. If their complex algorithms deem your account unprofitable (based on fees, problems, cu/in storage, etc.), you get a permanent suspension.

Lastly, I'll say that Amazon is "locking down" categories and brands daily. And it becomes very complicated to get welcomed into a gated brand or category. There's going to be a point when third party sellers are mostly gone. And Amazon FBA will mostly be for manufacturers who want to stock their own products at Amazon (ie, an artisanal soap company). There was an almost unbelievable shift on July 1 2018 that we'll see the results of over the next six months. It'll be very interesting to watch the effects. I can go into that if you wish. But it's a whole other subject.
Old 07-14-18, 03:30 PM
  #919  
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,046
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Lastly, I'll say that Amazon is "locking down" categories and brands daily. And it becomes very complicated to get welcomed into a gated brand or category. There's going to be a point when third party sellers are mostly gone. And Amazon FBA will mostly be for manufacturers who want to stock their own products at Amazon (ie, an artisanal soap company). There was an almost unbelievable shift on July 1 2018 that we'll see the results of over the next six months. It'll be very interesting to watch the effects. I can go into that if you wish. But it's a whole other subject.
What else changed? The bullshit sales tax ruling last month makes 3rd party sellers even more pointless. Smaller sites/ebay might still dodge on collecting tax for out of state sales for a while, but Amazon sellers are fucked because Amazon enforces it. Used to be you could at least save on tax by going 3rd party. At least, that's been my reasoning for doing it since Amazon started collecting tax in my state a couple years ago. Prime fulfilled sellers without tax were useful. Now they're not unless they can afford to actually undercut Amazon's prices.
Old 07-14-18, 03:31 PM
  #920  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Troy Stiffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Under an I-10 Overpass
Posts: 25,962
Received 392 Likes on 279 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It's amazing how often negative feedback on Prime sellers gets blamed on Amazon's shipping and handling. The strikethrough feedback doesn't get used in the overall feedback score, which is how most sellers want it.
There's no a magic way to remove it. As a seller, you submit a request. If it's a clear issue with Amazon's Fulfillment, it gets removed. Even then, often times you'll get rejected a few times before you escalate it (as the seller).

There's also another variable in the strikethrough. Some companies pay third party overseas companies to basically harass Amazon until they remove it. As I mentioned above, if a seller contacts Amazon too many times, they will suspend the account. Doesn't matter how many sales or how much you have done business with Amazon. They'll suspend your account and they don't care in the least.

Another fun detail, is that the Amazon competition is rough. Competitors will sabotage each other's accounts buy buying products incognito, leaving negatives, reporting products as counterfeits, etc. It becomes really hard for Amazon to maintain integrity.
Old 07-14-18, 03:48 PM
  #921  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Troy Stiffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Under an I-10 Overpass
Posts: 25,962
Received 392 Likes on 279 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by Viper187
What else changed? The bullshit sales tax ruling last month makes 3rd party sellers even more pointless. Smaller sites/ebay might still dodge on collecting tax for out of state sales for a while, but Amazon sellers are fucked because Amazon enforces it. Used to be you could at least save on tax by going 3rd party. At least, that's been my reasoning for doing it since Amazon started collecting tax in my state a couple years ago. Prime fulfilled sellers without tax were useful. Now they're not unless they can afford to actually undercut Amazon's prices.
I don't think sales tax will be much of an issue ... ever. The internet is too convenient now. Amazon has always collected sales tax in states they have presence in. All of that stuff has become very simple. Add Avalara for $20/mo, and all of the sales tax forms are printed and submitted with one-click authorization (or print/mail in some states).

The big shift... They just added penalties to FBA sellers who stock their products longer than six-or-so weeks. And it's not just a little penalty. They basically charge around 20x the storage fee, and also restrict the seller from stocking any additional inventory, based on quarterly reports. The algorithms are hidden and no sellers quite no exactly how they work yet. Nobody has any idea how it works yet. There is no "hack" to get your account into the green, other than moving your FBA inventory every six weeks.

My best estimate is that approximately 1/2 of all FBA sellers had their accounts restricted. Many (most?) of them will not survive the shift, and the inventory will be destroyed/liquidated (or shifted to Amazon Warehouse Deals) after their accounts reach default (from the negative balances that will hit in July and August).

They're also gating brands and categories daily. They're doing their best to push out most FBA sellers. All of those private labelers selling typical made-in-China merchandise (imagine bed linens, kitchen knives, cheap tools, etc.) because they want to sell their own under Amazon Basics.

In short, it's not a place for middlemen anymore. If you make a specialty dog food (for example), and want to stock it at Amazon, then FBA is a nice foot in the door - which will lead to Amazon contacting you and purchasing direct if your SKU performs well. If your SKU doesn't perform well (even though it's still profitable for you), you'll be kicked out of their system via storage penalties.

In the case of DVD's and books, Amazon already doubled/tripled the fulfillment fees last year. A lot of FBA sellers are just barely hanging on as-is. The new penalties will be their last leg in closing up and and moving on (I hear Amazon is hiring!).
Old 07-18-18, 02:29 PM
  #922  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Troy Stiffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Under an I-10 Overpass
Posts: 25,962
Received 392 Likes on 279 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

I don't normally complain about Amazon. But seriously, go fuck yourselves. I'm a real buyer. I buy on Amazon quite a bit. And I like to think I contribute helpful reviews. I'm taking this personally right now (I'll get over it). What a bunch of fucking assholes.



I think Amazon is reaching a tipping point. I feel like there's an undercurrent of disapproval and hostility brewing. They start chipping away at the goodwill of their customers (like me)... A company is too big to fail ... until it fails.

I was just defending Amazon feedback. This is a product review (which is different). The only thing I can think of, is that an listing got a 1-2 star review on a product, and an FBA seller disputed it, thus blocking my account from posting any more reviews.
Old 07-18-18, 02:46 PM
  #923  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 53,061
Received 1,084 Likes on 892 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

The digital age really sucks sometimes. As you mentioned earlier, a company may be trying to do right but gets hammered by bots. Then real customers get caught up in the flak. I have plenty of complaints about Amazon, but they have real challenges on their end.
Old 07-18-18, 03:18 PM
  #924  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
I don't normally complain about Amazon. But seriously, go fuck yourselves. I'm a real buyer. I buy on Amazon quite a bit. And I like to think I contribute helpful reviews. I'm taking this personally right now (I'll get over it). What a bunch of fucking assholes.



I think Amazon is reaching a tipping point. I feel like there's an undercurrent of disapproval and hostility brewing. They start chipping away at the goodwill of their customers (like me)... A company is too big to fail ... until it fails.

I was just defending Amazon feedback. This is a product review (which is different). The only thing I can think of, is that an listing got a 1-2 star review on a product, and an FBA seller disputed it, thus blocking my account from posting any more reviews.
If you're that angry about not being able to post a review, maybe their reasoning has some merit if you really just had a bone to pick about the product and/or seller.

Not trying to judge here, but without more details about the content of your review and about the product and seller, can't really say that it's easy to judge if Amazon was acting correctly or not or if you were actually breaking their rules on reviews.
Old 07-18-18, 03:20 PM
  #925  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 19,974
Received 1,072 Likes on 769 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
A company is too big to fail ... until it fails.
This isn't a government or national bank. Any consumer goods company can and will eventually fail. If anything, Amazon is still steadily moving upward while the likes of Apple and Google are slowing down.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.