DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Target B&M Stores to Price Match Online Retailers – Videogames, Black Friday EXcluded (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/605712-target-b-m-stores-price-match-online-retailers-%96-videogames-black-friday-excluded.html)

Decker 10-17-12 01:26 PM

Target B&M Stores to Price Match Online Retailers – Videogames, Black Friday EXcluded

Starting Nov 1 thru Dec 16

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/tar...ing-2012-10-16

Target Corp. became the latest big-box chain to offer to match the online prices of some rival retailers in what is shaping up to be a fiercely competitive holiday shopping season.
Like Best Buy Co., which last week announced similar plans, Target is seeking to combat "showrooming" by shoppers who check out products in its stores but buy them on competitors' websites, often at lower prices.

Target said Tuesday that its strategy for the holiday season includes being "intensely competitive'' on price, while also showcasing exclusive merchandise, such as a limited-edition designer collection it is creating with Neiman Marcus Group Inc.

The Minneapolis-based retailer said it would match prices from Amazon.com Inc.,Wal-Mart Stores Inc.'s Walmart.com, BestBuy.com, Toysrus.com and Babiesrus.com between Nov. 1 and Dec. 16.

Best Buy's online matching program started already, but excludes Thanksgiving weekend and CyberMonday. It also includes matching the prices of a larger number of retailers.

Target Chief Executive Gregg Steinhafel said Tuesday that he wasn't concerned that price-matching would dent the company's profit margins. "We're already rock solid in price," Mr. Steinhafel said. "But if periodically some competitor has a lower price, this gives our guests the ability to know 'I can do all of my one-stop shopping in Target.' "

Last year, Target eschewed battling competitors on price to preserve its profits, but the retailer missed its sales projections for the fourth quarter. Another contributor to the miss was its troubled website, which crashed several times last fall, leading to declining Internet sales during the holiday.

This year, Target said, it has increased its online capabilities, tripling the orders per hour the site can handle, and has been testing the site in anticipation of higher traffic during the launch of the Target/Neiman Marcus collection on Dec. 1.

Last January, Mr. Steinhafel, in a widely publicized letter, asked suppliers to help Target stem the showrooming trend. Among other things, he asked vendors to produce more exclusive merchandise that would make it harder to compare items to similar things in other stores.

What this means:
- Target brick & mortar stores will begin to price match Amazon.com, Walmart.com, BestBuy.com, Toysrus.com, and Babiesrus.com for a limited time – November 1st to December 16th
- For the first time ever, you can price match from Target.com too (Nov 1 to Dec 24). You can also adjust a in-store price if something goes on sale at Target,com at a later date.
- Amazon.com price matching doesn’t apply to third party sellers, naturally.
- Use can still use your REDcard to save an additional 5% on your purchase
- Videogames are included. In fact, any item is included.
- As stated in the WSJ article above, Black Friday weekend and CyberMonday prices can be matched too.
- Wi-fi will roll out in stores for customers to scan QR codes and whatnot, but will also benefit those looking up competitor pricing and wish to price match.
- You can use your smartphone to show competitor pricing.

E_v_i_l 10-18-12 10:19 PM

Re: Target B&M Stores to Price Match Online Retailers – Videogames, Black Friday Incl

Sounds good to me. The more options available, the better.

adrenaline78 10-19-12 10:16 AM

Re: Target B&M Stores to Price Match Online Retailers – Videogames, Black Friday Incl

Guess I'm screwed. I don't have a smartphone or a capable device to show online price of competitor.

bunkaroo 10-19-12 12:34 PM

Good news for me. I like to stop at Target on my way into work since they're open at 8.

E_v_i_l 10-19-12 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by adrenaline78 (Post 11433090)
Guess I'm screwed. I don't have a smartphone or a capable device to show online price of competitor.

I think Target employees are going to be able to look stuff up online like they do at Best Buy.

ntnon 10-29-12 11:08 AM

Presumably for many people, though, Amazon will still be cheaper as Target will charge sales tax. Or will they adjust the price downwards to compensate for that..?

Shannon Nutt 10-29-12 02:11 PM

Much better than what BB is offering, since they are not including Black Friday, Cyber Monday and pretty much all of Thanksgiving week/weekend.

DirkUSA 10-30-12 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by ntnon (Post 11446433)
Presumably for many people, though, Amazon will still be cheaper as Target will charge sales tax. Or will they adjust the price downwards to compensate for that..?

Why would they compensate for sales tax?

DRG 10-31-12 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by E_v_i_l (Post 11433941)
I think Target employees are going to be able to look stuff up online like they do at Best Buy.

The only negative to this is it would slow down lines if people have a bunch of items and a big list of prices to look up.

Strapped4Cash 11-01-12 05:04 PM

My closest Target said that they aren't doing this, that they're only matching their own website, but that they don't know how to do that yet because they haven't had their training.

Gotta love it.

TheBang 11-01-12 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash (Post 11450961)
My closest Target said that they aren't doing this, that they're only matching their own website, but that they don't know how to do that yet because they haven't had their training.

Your Target doesn't really have a choice in the matter. It's corporate policy. You can point them to this if you have problems:

https://corporate.target.com/about/s...-promise#q1971

godzilla rules 11-04-12 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 11430516)
Starting Nov 1 thru Dec 16

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/tar...ing-2012-10-16

What this means:
- Target brick & mortar stores will begin to price match Amazon.com, Walmart.com, BestBuy.com, Toysrus.com, and Babiesrus.com for a limited time – November 1st to December 16th
- For the first time ever, you can price match from Target.com too (Nov 1 to Dec 24). You can also adjust a in-store price if something goes on sale at Target,com at a later date.
- Amazon.com price matching doesn’t apply to third party sellers, naturally.
- Use can still use your REDcard to save an additional 5% on your purchase
- Videogames are included. In fact, any item is included.
- As stated in the WSJ article above, Black Friday weekend and CyberMonday prices can be matched too.
- Wi-fi will roll out in stores for customers to scan QR codes and whatnot, but will also benefit those looking up competitor pricing and wish to price match.
- You can use your smartphone to show competitor pricing.

I work at Target and, according to the paperwork they gave every team member, the week of Black Friday is EXCLUDED from this deal. So no online price matching for that whole week.

adrenaline78 11-05-12 12:22 PM

Holiday Price Matching: select online competitors

We’ll match the price if you buy a qualifying item at a Target store between Nov. 1 and Dec. 16 and find the identical item for less at Amazon.com, Walmart.com, BestBuy.com, ToysRUs.com or BabiesRUs.com. Simply show us the current online price using your mobile device, or bring in a printed page showing the current online price by Dec. 16. The online price and availability will be validated by a Target team member at the Guest Service desk.

Excludes “Marketplace” prices: Price matched items must be sold by Walmart.com, Amazon.com, BestBuy.com, ToysRUs.com, or BabiesRUs.com; prices from 3rd party sellers on these websites will not be honored.
Excludes Target stores in Alaska and Hawaii.
Limit quantity of 1 online price match per identical item, per guest.
Must bring in original Target receipt when requesting the price match by Dec. 16.
The retail price must be shown on the competitor’s website and must be valid at the time the price match is requested.
The item must be the identical item, brand name, size, weight, color, quantity and model number.
Online prices from Nov. 22–26 are excluded.
Excludes online prices from competitors not listed above.

adrenaline78 11-05-12 12:25 PM

Holiday Price Matching: Target prices and competitor printed ads

We’ll match the price if you buy a qualifying item at a Target store between Nov. 1 and Dec. 24 and find the identical item for less at Target, Target.com or in a competitor’s local printed ad. Simply bring in proof of the current lower price and we’ll match that price at the Guest Service desk.

The original Target receipt must be brought in when requesting the price match by Dec. 24.
The item must be the identical item, brand name, size, weight, color, quantity and model number.
For matching Target.com, the retail price must be shown on the Target.com website and must be valid at the time the price match is requested. Target.com pricing must be validated by a Target team member.
For matching competitor ads, the retail price must be shown in the competitor’s advertisement and must be valid the day the price match is requested.
Competitor catalogs can be matched as long as the catalog displays a current date, retail price and meets all other competitor ad match qualifications.
Price matches for prices offered Nov. 22–24 by Target, Target.com or a competitor are excluded.
We reserve the right to verify a competitor’s advertised price and the availability of the item.

adrenaline78 11-05-12 12:25 PM

What is excluded from the Holiday Price Match?

In addition, the following exclusions apply:

Items originally purchased at Target.com
Prices that only display on a website after guests log in
Purchases from CityTarget stores
For items that are out of stock at Target or a competitor at the time the price match is requested; rain checks will not be issued for any item being price matched
Items advertised as limited time/limited supply/limited quantity
Paid membership club or paid loyalty programs (e.g. prices that require a club or loyalty card that is associated with a membership fee)
Competitor coupon-required or gift card offers
Competitor price matches on items where Target is offering a free gift card
Prices advertised only as a percent off or dollar off
Buy one, get one if the retail price is not shown in the advertisement
Free product where no qualifying purchase is required
Bundled offers (including Amazon.com add-on items) and special purchases
Timed events (e.g., early bird, door busters)
Sales tax promotions
Damaged, refurbished and open package product
Clearance or closeout items
Mail in offers or instant rebates
Product services (warranties, assembly, etc.)
Going-out-of-business liquidations
Offers that include financing
Used or previously owned items
Pricing or typographical errors
Target Portrait Studio, Optical and Clinic offers
Non-branded items (e.g., produce not marketed under a specific brand name)
Contract cell phone plans and devices
Daily Deals, Lightning Deals, Gold Box Deals, Today’s Deals, Deal of the Day, Deal Near to Me, Value of the Day, Special Buy
Target team member discounts may not be used with online competitor price match

All matches are done against pre-tax prices; guest is responsible for applicable taxes.

fujishig 11-07-12 12:37 PM

For items that are out of stock at Target or a competitor at the time the price match is requested; rain checks will not be issued for any item being price matched
Items advertised as limited time/limited supply/limited quantity
Daily Deals, Lightning Deals, Gold Box Deals, Today’s Deals, Deal of the Day, Deal Near to Me, Value of the Day, Special Buy

I know they say they'll pricematch BF, but doesn't this kinda contradict that?

TheBang 11-08-12 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 11458636)
I know they say they'll pricematch BF, but doesn't this kinda contradict that?

Read the updated terms, posted above or here. They're now excluding Black Friday weekend (Thu. - Sat.)

TheBang 10-24-13 08:33 PM

Target is pricematching again this year, from Nov. 1 - Dec. 21. Black Friday weekend excluded again.

http://pressroom.target.com/news/tar...13-initiatives

namja 10-24-13 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by TheBang (Post 11459495)
Read the updated terms, posted above or here. They're now excluding Black Friday weekend (Thu. - Sat.)

Thread title fixed. Thanks.

My Other Self 10-24-13 08:59 PM

Re: Target B&M Stores to Price Match Online Retailers – Videogames, Black Friday EXcl

Target began price matching online retailers all year-long now, haven't they?

E_v_i_l 10-24-13 09:47 PM

Re: Target B&M Stores to Price Match Online Retailers – Videogames, Black Friday EXcl

Originally Posted by My Other Self (Post 11883497)

Yes. It looks like they're just extending their post-purchase price matching:

In stores, Target hopes to entice value shoppers by extending its price-match program. From Nov. 1 to Dec. 21, with the exception of Black Friday to Cyber Monday, Target will match prices from local competitors and select online retailers such as Amazon. What’s different this year is that Target will extend its price-match policy during the entire period from Nov. 1 to Dec. 21, not just seven days, as long as the competitor’s price is current.

Target can comfortably offer the extension because so few guests take advantage of it, said Brennan. “It’s more public relations than anything, but a few customers ask for the match on more expensive items,” he said.

Still, Target may need to fall back on the policy as a way to compete with Amazon. In a recent analysis of Target’s and Amazon’s prices by William Blair Equity Research in Chicago, Target’s prices were 13.8 percent higher, or about $20 per item, on average.
http://www.startribune.com/business/229019241.html

TheBang 10-25-13 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by My Other Self (Post 11883497)

Yes, sorry, forgot to mention that. Their normal price matching period is 7 days, but they will price match across the entire holiday period (except Black Friday).