DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Amazon's new B.S "Add-On Item" Program (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/605460-amazons-new-b-s-add-item-program.html)

TGM 10-07-12 02:56 PM

Amazon's new B.S "Add-On Item" Program

The new Add-on program allows Amazon to offer thousands of low-priced items that would be cost-prohibitive to ship on their own. We've kicked off the Add-on program with thousands of new Add-on Items, and we're adding more each day. Add-on Items ship with orders that include $25 or more of items shipped by Amazon, and you can get them delivered to your doorstep with free shipping.
further degrading the value of Amazon prime I see.

Timber 10-08-12 10:51 AM

Re: Amazon's new B.S "Add-On Item" Program

I complained about this in another Amazon thread a month or so ago however I've only run into one item that had the restriction. I agree that they're doing everything in their power to devalue Prime in the only way that matters for the vast majority of the people that signed up for it, the shipping.

Groucho 10-08-12 10:59 AM

More details:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200876660

It's definitely a swipe at Prime customers who were buying cheap items (cheaper than the cost of shipping) in single orders.

EdTheRipper 10-08-12 11:36 AM

I have yet to try to purchase an item that was included in this.

ernestrp 10-08-12 01:55 PM

I usually just get tire caps to get my order over 25.00 for free shipping. Do you mean Prime customers have to order 25.00 for free shipping now and Amazon directs you to purchase select items to get it to 25.00? I do not think I would like that, if I had paid for the prime thing.

Groucho 10-08-12 01:59 PM

No, there are select items that only qualify for free shipping if they are part of a $25.00+ order.

Your tire caps are a great example:

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-22049-Bl.../dp/B003ASHHPU

mh4268 10-08-12 07:54 PM

I ordered a couple food items through this program with a preorder blu ray. They shipped the items right away while the preorder was months away, so you could always do that as a work around (it was unintentional on my part).

PhantomStranger 10-08-12 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by mh4268 (Post 11418252)
I ordered a couple food items through this program with a preorder blu ray. They shipped the items right away while the preorder was months away, so you could always do that as a work around (it was unintentional on my part).

But can you cancel that Blu-ray now without being charged shipping on the stuff that has already shipped? Amazon got very smart about that a couple of years ago and closed that loophole.

ernestrp 10-08-12 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 11417850)
No, there are select items that only qualify for free shipping if they are part of a $25.00+ order.

Your tire caps are a great example:

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-22049-Bl.../dp/B003ASHHPU

4.95 for tire caps??? I bought these exact ones before and I think they were like 1.00 or less. Wow!!! This is something to ponder....Its like they are offering you the item with the shipping added on. Now you are paying for shipping...Next year I get to pay state tax to.

Josh-da-man 10-08-12 09:14 PM

Sounds like bullshit.

If I'm ordering a $20 blu-ray, I'll just add a $8-$10 book or something I actually want than add $5 tire caps that I don't.

Sounds like they've noticed people are searching for cheap items to pad orders out to hit the free $25 shipping threshold so they're now promoting high-profit junk items for people to do this. Charge $5 for something that costs them pennies and they trick you into pay for shipping.

mh4268 10-09-12 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 11418264)
But can you cancel that Blu-ray now without being charged shipping on the stuff that has already shipped? Amazon got very smart about that a couple of years ago and closed that loophole.

That I don't know since I still have the preorder open (Brave with $8 coupon), but if you want the add on items ASAP you can add them to a preorder you intend to keep.

deadlax 10-11-12 10:05 AM

It's really strange they are using this add-on program due to shipping prices when I've found very recently that a lot of things i order with prime shipping aren't shipped out til the next day and then are sent next day air instead of two-day.

seems like they have some logistics issues to work out.

mkdevo 11-21-12 07:47 AM

Just ran into this. This sucks, and really makes no sense at all.

I'm a Prime member. Have been since the beginning.

I need 2 items at the moment: A glue gun ($12.18) and a beard comb ($7.75).

The glue gun ships free with Prime. The beard comb is considered an "add-on item".

I can't place an order for the 2 products. They'll ship me the glue gun for free, but won't throw the beard comb (which weighs 0.8 ounces) in the box unless I spend $25????

Explain that to me please.

Timber 11-21-12 03:44 PM

See, that makes no sense. They combine seperate orders all the time. Hell I'm even had a Subcribe and Save item boxed with some Prime items.

If Prime is that much of a drain on them either raise the price or discountinue it.

ec461 12-09-12 12:02 PM

So does the cancel pre-order trick? I want to order some stuff that is an "Add on" item. It offers me free prime if I pad the order up to $25 with the pre-order, but I'm worried that if I subsequently cancel the pre-order they'll charge me for shipping. Anyone know for sure?

stonzee 02-16-13 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by mkdevo (Post 11477255)
Just ran into this. This sucks, and really makes no sense at all.

I'm a Prime member. Have been since the beginning.

I need 2 items at the moment: A glue gun ($12.18) and a beard comb ($7.75).

The glue gun ships free with Prime. The beard comb is considered an "add-on item".

I can't place an order for the 2 products. They'll ship me the glue gun for free, but won't throw the beard comb (which weighs 0.8 ounces) in the box unless I spend $25????

Explain that to me please.

Exactly. I needed to order some medical supplies. I have been purchasing them from Amazon for a year. Then suddenly they are add on items and cannot be purchased unless I spend $25.