Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon sales tax discussion

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Amazon sales tax discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-14, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: Amazon sales tax discussion

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
States didn't care about out of state sales tax for decades because collecting it would have been almost as costly as the tax revenue it generated. Before the Internet, it was mostly restricted to catalog sales and some television infomercials.

In NY, anyway, you always have had to report and pay a use tax for any purchases made out of state. The use tax is the same rate as the sales tax. In fact currently on the NY State Tax Return there is a question did you purchase any items out of state for which sales tax was not paid. You are supposed to report it or use an estimate based on your income. Whether this was enforced or not or whether anyone was ever audited for not reporting out of state purchases is another question, but it was supposed to be paid by law.

Last edited by Classic Films; 02-02-14 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-02-14, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Classic Films
In NY, anyway, you always have had to report and pay a use tax for any purchases made out of state. The use tax is the same rate as the sales tax. In fact currently on the NY State Tax Return there is a question did you purchase any items out of state for which sales tax was not paid. You are supposed to report it or use an estimate based on your income. Whether this was enforced or not or whether anyone was ever audited for not reporting out of state purchases is another question, but it was supposed to be paid by law.
But states didn't actually pursue use tax, that was the point of my statement. They knew a few customers were getting away with it but collection would have been as costly as the tax revenue gained.
Old 09-24-14, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MD's turn now:

Maryland residents who buy things through Amazon will have to add a 6 percent tax to all online orders starting in October. It's part of Amazon's deal with the state to open a huge fulfillment center in Baltimore, creating over a thousand full-time jobs for the million square-foot center. It's going to be a big boon for the state's finances. According to the Board of Revenue Estimates, that Maryland could bring in around $50 million a year in new revenue. That would be part of a 5.2 percent increase to $4.15 billion in sales tax revenue next year.
Old 09-26-14, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Revenues are almost always less than projected, since customers alter their behavior. I've basically stopped using Amazon itself for products since tax was added, despite being a Prime member. I'm not sure Amazon was very wise to raise prices at the same time that most states added tax to their purchases.
Old 09-26-14, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Florida had the sales tax earlier this year, and I think the first warehouse opened last month and shipped its first package to... New York.

I don't think there's sales tax for third-party sellers.

I don't think I've really altered my behavior due to the tax. I plan to buy a whole bunch of stuff from Amazon for Black Friday if deals are good.

Is there a sales tax-free online blu-ray store that has good prices like Amazon?
Old 09-27-14, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ranger
Florida had the sales tax earlier this year, and I think the first warehouse opened last month and shipped its first package to... New York.

I don't think there's sales tax for third-party sellers.

I don't think I've really altered my behavior due to the tax. I plan to buy a whole bunch of stuff from Amazon for Black Friday if deals are good.

Is there a sales tax-free online blu-ray store that has good prices like Amazon?
I can name multiple stores in each product category Amazon services that beats them on pricing. Even Best Buy's online store regularly beats out Amazon on media pricing, unless Amazon happens to match it. Amazon is following Target's model, they don't want to service low-margin customers anymore.

Yes, for three weeks in November Amazon undercuts the competition on price.
Old 09-27-14, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by dleedlee
MD's turn now:

Maryland residents who buy things through Amazon will have to add a 6 percent tax to all online orders starting in October. It's part of Amazon's deal with the state to open a huge fulfillment center in Baltimore, creating over a thousand full-time jobs for the million square-foot center. It's going to be a big boon for the state's finances. According to the Board of Revenue Estimates, that Maryland could bring in around $50 million a year in new revenue. That would be part of a 5.2 percent increase to $4.15 billion in sales tax revenue next year.
I'm confident MD will put my extra tax dollars to good use...
Old 01-21-17, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Amazon will start collecting sales tax in Vermont
http://www.wcax.com/story/34311598/a...tax-in-vermont

BURLINGTON, Vt. -
Expect to pay a little more if you order from Amazon.

That's because starting February the online giant will start collecting Vermont sales tax.

In Vermont, that tax is 6 percent so if you spend $100 on something that will go up $6.

“We are pleased to hear that Amazon will begin collecting and remitting sales and use tax to the State of Vermont on February 1. This is an important step towards creating equity between our local stores in Vermont and online retailers. This brings Vermont in line with more than 30 U.S. taxing jurisdictions where Amazon is collecting and remitting sales tax,” said Kaj Samsom, Commissioner, Vermont Department of Taxes.

Vermont's tax department says not only will this bring more money into the state, it will also help local brick and mortar stores compete with online giants.

Senate President Pro Tem Tim Ashe released the following statement:

"Six years ago a fellow Senator and I introduced a bill requiring online retailers to collect and remit Vermont sales tax. It was a basic matter of fairness for us. In the six years since, large online retailers have been unwilling to play on the same level field with local brick and mortar stores, contributing to the closure of some of them.

And the Vermont Retail & Grocers Association released this statement:

"The Vermont Retail & Grocers Association is pleased that Amazon will begin collecting Vermont sales tax on February 1. Vermont retailers - mostly small, locally-owned and operated stores - compete each and every day with large online retailers. Many of those online retailers do not charge the state's sales tax, providing them with an unfair advantage over Vermont-based businesses and denying the state revenue it should be receiving. Vermont retailers work hard to provide quality products, meet the needs and price points of customers, and support our communities in a way that no online retailer will. Leveling the playing field by requiring all online retailers to collect the sales tax will allow all of our members to better serve Vermonters. We thank our congressional delegates, especially Congressman Peter Welch for championing the Main Street Fairness Act in Washington DC, and the Vermont legislators, including Representative Janet Ancel and Senator Tim Ashe, that have worked toward leveling the playing field here in Vermont, " said Erin Sigrist, president of VRGA.

Last edited by Match; 01-21-17 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-22-17, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Going to be collecting sales tax in Rhode Island starting on February 1st as well.
Old 01-29-17, 08:03 AM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Just heard a radio report that Amazon will start charging sales tax here in Missouri starting in February. A bummer for sure but it seems to be the tide.
Old 01-30-17, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

There are now only 14 states in which they don't charge tax:

Alaska
Arkansas
Delaware
Hawaii
Idaho
Maine
Mississippi
Montana
New Hampshire
New Mexico
Oklahoma
Oregon
South Dakota
Wyoming

Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon don't even have state sales tax. So, really, there are only 9 left standing.
Old 01-31-17, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang
There are now only 14 states in which they don't charge tax:

Alaska
Arkansas
Delaware
Hawaii
Idaho
Maine
Mississippi
Montana
New Hampshire
New Mexico
Oklahoma
Oregon
South Dakota
Wyoming

Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon don't even have state sales tax. So, really, there are only 9 left standing.
They start for Mississippi tomorrow!
Old 01-31-17, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Also South Dakota tomorrow, and Wyoming on Mar. 1.

http://www.taxjusticeblog.org/archiv...six_amazon.php

So there are really only 6 states left. I guess I'm lucky for now!

Arkansas
Hawaii
Idaho
Maine
New Mexico
Oklahoma

No state sales tax:
Alaska
Delaware
Montana
New Hampshire
Oregon
Old 02-01-17, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slybone
Just heard a radio report that Amazon will start charging sales tax here in Missouri starting in February. A bummer for sure but it seems to be the tide.
I just placed an order this morning and had to do a double take when I saw the sales tax added. It truly sucks but if anything might help me get in the habit of buying more stuff locally now and cut down on impulse purchases.
Old 02-02-17, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I just placed an order this morning and had to do a double take when I saw the sales tax added. It truly sucks but if anything might help me get in the habit of buying more stuff locally now and cut down on impulse purchases.
Hey Matty, is your username an indication that you're in the Cape area? If so, just wanted to point out that I was born in Sikeston. I don't live there now and typically just get to the area for funerals. I was really just observing what a small world we live in!
Old 02-02-17, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Matty, is your username an indication that you're in the Cape area? If so, just wanted to point out that I was born in Sikeston. I don't live there now and typically just get to the area for funerals. I was really just observing what a small world we live in!
Way off Topic.

My mother is in a nursing home. At the same table she sits at is a mother of one of my neighbors and an ex-mother-in-law of another neighbor. In an area with a million people and a hundred nursing facilities, at a table for four, 3 people have a relative on the same street.
Old 02-02-17, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Small world indeed

My wife and I went to college there and I joined the forum while there, but we now live in St. Louis. We made many trips to Sikeston though, especially for Lambert's. I miss those rolls!
Old 02-03-17, 08:41 AM

Small world indeed

My wife and I went to college there and I joined the forum while there, but we now live in St. Louis. We made many trips to Sikeston though, especially for Lambert's. I miss those rolls!
My wife and I lived in STL from 1998-2006, most of that time in University City but also a year in the Ferguson/Florissant area, before Ferguson was a "thing". Loved the area for the most part. Yeah, Lamberts is definitely a draw for Sikeston, I still have a t-shirt with a large butter stain on it from a poorly aimed "throwed roll"!
Old 02-03-17, 08:49 AM

Just a quick follow-up on the MO tax situation. Yesterday I placed an Amazon order, 3rd party seller although fulfilled by Amazon, and WAS NOT charged any tax. So it appears if you buy 3rd party, as long as it's not shipped from MO regardless of who fulfills it, there no tax charged (at least for now). Of course I have no idea if other states see the same situation, but that's what happened for me here in the Show-Me State.
Old 02-03-17, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Just a quick follow-up on the MO tax situation. Yesterday I placed an Amazon order, 3rd party seller although fulfilled by Amazon, and WAS NOT charged any tax. So it appears if you buy 3rd party, as long as it's not shipped from MO regardless of who fulfills it, there no tax charged (at least for now). Of course I have no idea if other states see the same situation, but that's what happened for me here in the Show-Me State.
That seems to be the case. I have seen that multiple times ordering to CT. It is a way to get around the tax, if you can find a third party seller with the same price as amazon, and fulfilled by amazon.
Old 02-07-17, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 898 Likes on 722 Posts

Why the sudden and overwhelming upsurge in Amazon's extortion of sales tax? Have they been busy making underhanded deals with all the state governments where they get a cut of the tax? It wouldn't surprise me, they started the ball rolling in NY and CA this way... Their excuse of course is that they "hang a shingle" in all those remotely populated states like WY by having distribution centers there. It's bureaucratic bullshit, as always. SOP.
Old 02-07-17, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle
Why the sudden and overwhelming upsurge in Amazon's extortion of sales tax? Have they been busy making underhanded deals with all the state governments where they get a cut of the tax? It wouldn't surprise me, they started the ball rolling in NY and CA this way... Their excuse of course is that they "hang a shingle" in all those remotely populated states like WY by having distribution centers there. It's bureaucratic bullshit, as always. SOP.
That's how it's always been done. If a business that does mail order has a physical presence in a state, then they have to collect sales tax for orders from that state.

In the pre-internet days, you would have to pay sales tax when you bought from catalogs like Sears or JC Penney because they had stores in most states.
Old 02-07-17, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Yep, physical presence in the state. Amazon took it one step further, and took that to mean having ANY presence in the state, including affiliates.
Old 02-13-17, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang
Also South Dakota tomorrow, and Wyoming on Mar. 1.

http://www.taxjusticeblog.org/archiv...six_amazon.php

So there are really only 6 states left. I guess I'm lucky for now!

Arkansas
Hawaii
Idaho
Maine
New Mexico
Oklahoma

No state sales tax:
Alaska
Delaware
Montana
New Hampshire
Oregon
Take Arkansas off the list. They start collecting here in March. Bummer...

The state legislature passed a "law" requiring Amazon to collect taxes. Traditionally Amazon has relied on a federal law that states you only have to collect taxes in states where you have a physical presence. So... they either are planning a presence here or are just caving and anticipating a federal law change to force everyone to do this.

If Amazon had refused to collect the taxes the new law supposedly would require them to report sales in Arkansas so authorities could go after people who failed to report the purchases on their tax returns. I doubt that could have been enforced either but they caved so it's a rather moot point.

I know I'll pursue MP vendors who do not collect sales tax or just purchase locally. Many of my Amazon purchases were for products I can get locally for the same price but I didn't have to go out for them or pay sales tax so it was a double-win. Triple if you consider many of those purchases would have been from WM.
Old 02-13-17, 02:56 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Doesn't Amazon collecting for you just save you the trouble of paying yourself later?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.