Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy to cut costs, open and close stores

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Best Buy to cut costs, open and close stores

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-12, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
Re: Best Buy to cut costs, open and close stores

You should be able to call them... and get free shipping ...
Old 04-12-12, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Nope, not available for shipping but it is available at a store 30 minutes away (at least that's what their inventory shows) I guess I'll be driving over there tomorrow, if they actually do have it.
Old 04-12-12, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Anytime I have received the unable to locate in store email.. I have called them up and they offered to ship the item for free...
Old 04-12-12, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by b2net
Anytime I have received the unable to locate in store email.. I have called them up and they offered to ship the item for free...
When I asked about shipping she said "let me check the website". The website shows it as not available for shipping. I guess there system is the same as the general public's system?
Old 04-12-12, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
Nope, not available for shipping but it is available at a store 30 minutes away (at least that's what their inventory shows) I guess I'll be driving over there tomorrow, if they actually do have it.
Good luck with that. You will probably get there only to find no copies and the kiosk, instead of telling you if there are any there or not, will state the inventory status as "see a sales associate for assistance with this item".

IMO expecting an employee at a store like Best Buy or Wal Mart or anywhere like that to be knowlegable about PAL is a bit ridiculous.
Old 04-12-12, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Maxflier

IMO expecting an employee at a store like Best Buy or Wal Mart or anywhere like that to be knowlegable about PAL is a bit ridiculous.
If we're putting Best Buy in Wal Mart's category then yes I completely agree with you. However I thought Best Buy specialized in electronics, TVs being one of those specialties. If I go to Sears I expect someone trying to sell me a refrigerator to know about refrigerators, if I go to Home Depot I'd expect someone to be able to tell me what wood I should use to build a deck.
Old 04-12-12, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
They probably are stupid and can't find it. For some reason, the merchandising team did the picking for online orders, even when it was a media item. If they can't find it and don't feel like asking a media associate, they just mark it as not in stock and there's your email. I used to make them come to me for every in-store pickup from my department, to make sure the item was correct.
The last time I got an "unable to locate" notice after placing an in-store pickup order, I had to go to the store anyway for something else, so I just popped over to look at the video games, and I found a couple of copies of it right there on the shelf, properly alphabetized where it should be.

I'm convinced they never even looked for it. My order probably sent the available stock under 3, causing it to show out of stock on the website, so when they saw that, they sent the "unable to locate" notice.

The best part is, they still couldn't fulfill the order, because it had already been marked out of stock. I had to purchase it again using a website pricematch (it was a one day website sale), and then I had to go back home and cancel out the pickup order (It was still held open pending for me to call and possibly transfer the order to another store).
Old 04-14-12, 03:00 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts

Several of the Best Buy stores to be closed are listed at the bottom of this article:

Best Buy Confirms Closure Plans for Remaining 42 U.S. Big Box Stores
Old 04-14-12, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

None in my area are closing. Went to another store a couple days ago in my search for a new TV, and not only were none of the remotes out where you could get to them, when a salesperson asked if I needed for help, he couldn't even FIND the fucking remote! GREAT way to get me to spend $2000 at your store, guys! Once again I got hit up for DirecTV too. He came up to me with his DirecTV polo shirt (I gotta get one of those) and said "So, who's your TV provider?" I answered "The airwaves- there may be nothing good on them, but at least I don't have to PAY for it so I have more money to spend on DISCS!" Did show some love to their media department by buying "The Green Hornet" 3D Blu-Ray for $16.99, which I'll watch on the 3D TV I'll most likely buy from Fry's.
Old 04-14-12, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool story, bro.
Old 04-14-12, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
None in my area are closing.
I'm surprised one of the stores here where I am is closing. There's no need to have 5 in the Sacramento area. I would've figure'd the Natomas store was gone since that whole area imploded when the real estate market crashed.

I saw the Pittsburg store and the Manteca store are closing, which would be the closest to here. I had to get a DVD from the Manteca store a couple of years ago and it's literally in the middle of nowhere. I was surprised there was even a store out that far. It kind of anchored the shopping "mall" it was in though so I wonder how that bodes for the other stores in the area.
Old 04-14-12, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

I'm surprised there are no locations in Michigan closing.
Old 04-14-12, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mcfly
I saw the Pittsburg store and the Manteca store are closing, which would be the closest to here. I had to get a DVD from the Manteca store a couple of years ago and it's literally in the middle of nowhere. I was surprised there was even a store out that far. It kind of anchored the shopping "mall" it was in though so I wonder how that bodes for the other stores in the area.
The Manteca shopping center was a giant fail for that city. The anchor stores opened (JCPenny, Bass Pro Shop & a movie theater), but the smaller stores never opened. They overvalued the space and made it too expensive for any other shops to open. It was also right between the Modesto and Tracy Best Buys.

Kind of doomed from the beginning. It sucks because I know a lot of people that work at that store. I helped them their grand opening week. One of them just bought a house in that area about two months ago.
Old 04-15-12, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
I would have failed your job interview because he didn't know what PAL was.
Seriously, do you have to interject a smug comeback for everything?

I get that you work there, but the more you post, the more I realize you're pretty much a clone of 99% of the customer service staff I've had to deal with at Best Buy when trying to make something even as trivial as an exchange on a scratched out of the package DVD. Powertripping ego and actions that would lead you to believe they thought the company belonged to them and that you were slighting them personally for even thinking about coming up to the returns counter. ...And that's BEFORE all this nonsense of showing your license to do anything where it comes to returns/exchanges. That reminds me, I wonder how much that policy may have hurt them.
Old 04-15-12, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
They are closing the Back Bay store that just opened in 2008
I heard it was built on an ancient indian Tower Records
Old 04-15-12, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

They're closing one of the stores by me in Tustin that just opened a couple years ago as well. I don't blame them, as there's another one just a mile down the street thats bigger and already popular.
Old 04-15-12, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brooklyn
Seriously, do you have to interject a smug comeback for everything?
Yes.
Old 04-15-12, 12:26 PM
Suspended

Surprised none are closing here. We have 3 of them. One of them is dead everytime we go. Last two times we were at this one, the movie section was really thin, tons of empty spaces. I thought it would have been on the list.

As for the comments earlier- If a BB employee actually comes and asks anything. I usually say, "No thanks, found it" or " Just looking to see if anything odd pops out" (which has never happened at a BB lately, they carry the "safe" movies for the past 10 years. Now Media Play that was a whole other story). I usually say that if the person looks like he or she would be into non-mainstream stuff.

Now when its a Direct TV asshole, before they can even say "have you heard about", I tell them "I dont care". Is it rude and a dick move? Of course, but I dont give a shit. These are the same assholes who will get pissed off,even if youre nice and say , "no thanks". They are not trying to sell something that is new and no one has never heard of it. Its old shit, everyone knows. If I want it I would get on a phone and call for it. If your going to bug people and get pissed off if people dont want it (even being polite saying no) do it with something new.

Walmart were having these Direct Tv assholes set up a table in the movie section, at the end of the year last year. Didnt last long. Either it was to many complaints about them being jerks to everyone, or they gave up because they couldnt sell old shit.
Old 04-15-12, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes.
Everytime you post you make it easier for me to have less sympathy over the potential failure of the entire company. Truly, is that your purpose here?
Old 04-15-12, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

The DirecTV people don't usually bug me when they ask me because I have their service. I had some asshole Cox lady who never remembers me and bugs me every time. I told her I would never switch from DirecTV due to the NFL Sunday ticket. She proceeds to tell me I could get it via streaming over the internet (which I know, but I have no desire for), I asked her how. She had no clue. I had to educate her on how it was done. If you are going to suggest an alternative for me to switch to your service, educate yourself so you can pitch the product.
Old 04-15-12, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
Everytime you post you make it easier for me to have less sympathy over the potential failure of the entire company. Truly, is that your purpose here?
I'm sure my snarky replies towards one poster who apparently hates Best Buy but shops for TV's there anyway are swaying your opinion of the company I work for.

Most people on DVDTalk hate Best Buy...I get that. My posts not directed at Alan are not snarky, but I guess you're choosing to ignore those.
Old 04-16-12, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You did it to me, and you did it to the poster above, so it's not just "one poster".
Whether you think you're funny, or putting it to someone you feel is a hypocrite, what you're actually coming across as is a condescending, piss poor representative of Best Buy, and one that echoes what most of those who are complaining about the store feel -- poor customer service and bothersome employees.
Old 04-16-12, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Maybe there's a reason everyone hates Best Buy?

It could have something do with their shit customer service, deceptive sales practices, poorly stocked stores, pushy employees...
Old 04-16-12, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, have your fun and I'll bow out of this conversation if that's what you need. I'd never give any customer who came to me less than a great experience...I don't think my behavior on an Internet forum with you guys (some of you I've been barbing back and forth with for 10+ years) is any indication of what kind of employee I am at work, in the "real" world.

I don't want to see anyone out of work, and I'm sure none of you do either.
Old 04-16-12, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't want to see anyone out of work, and I'm sure none of you do either.
I don't think anyone wants to see BB close and those people to lose jobs. What most want is a better shopping experience that isn't all that difficult for the chain to do.

I like the idea of Best Buy but the actual implementation of Best Buy has just been bad over the last several years. Probably sometime around the store remodels things changed for the worst IMO.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.