Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy to cut costs, open and close stores

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Best Buy to cut costs, open and close stores

Old 08-29-12, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: Best Buy to cut costs, open and close stores

Best Buy stores don't have the space Fry's stores have, but point taken. I may have mentioned this before, but when looking for a new TV I spent the most time at Fry's because they had their TVs where you could get to the backs of them and they had the remotes out- I tested out many with a Blu-Ray player and antenna which they didn't mind me moving around. Best Buy had all their TVs on the walls so you couldn't see the backs, and the remotes weren't out, and forget about seeing anything other than their store demo feed on them. Best Buy had a better price on the TV I ended up getting, but I got Fry's to price-match just because they had the better shopping experience and they deserved my money a lot more.
Old 08-29-12, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I remember when BB basically raised all DVD prices $3. $20 list prices went from selling for $14.99 to $17.99. $25 list prices went from $19.99 to $22.99. And so forth. That's pretty much when I stopped even considering them for impulse purchases and only went there when they had the lowest price on something.

They did it to themselves.
Old 08-29-12, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I remember when BB basically raised all DVD prices $3. $20 list prices went from selling for $14.99 to $17.99. $25 list prices went from $19.99 to $22.99. And so forth. That's pretty much when I stopped even considering them for impulse purchases and only went there when they had the lowest price on something.

They did it to themselves.
So you mean they are not a "Best Buy"?

They mock themselves every time they advertise
Old 08-31-12, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
... and that's why nobody shops at Best Buy and why it's become a glorified Amazon showroom. Best Buy needs to change its mentality and focus on both its internal and external customers before they shut down the doors once and for all. It might cost them a lot of money and might cost a lot of staff members their jobs to bring in higher quality people at a higher pay-rate. However, the return on investment would be worth it.
They have had many years of "too big to fail" that only a swift about-face will make that change happen. The reality is, they might make changes, but either be too slow or half-ass it.
Old 09-07-12, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,009 Likes on 835 Posts

There's a new BB Mobile just three blocks away from their big store. Kind of interesting.
Old 09-26-12, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,364 Likes on 926 Posts

I just went in there and had a frustrating experience. The Dark Knight Returns pt. 1 is out yesterday. Wanted the blu ray copy. Nothing in sight. I ask the guy, who looks it up and said they don't have any. I ask him if they ever got any. He doesn't know. I then ask why is it in the ad if they can't or won't get copies in. WTF. I know this is way above the guy's head, but it's silly that they don't have stock on something that was in their ad.

Last edited by Deftones; 09-26-12 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-26-12, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still enjoy browsing Best Buy and they still are pretty good on BD sales. However, the thing that is pissing me off lately is the fucking DirecTV reps in there. Every damn time I go in to look at the movie section, I have to deal with these bastards. I have DirecTV and love it, but I get sick and tired of having to deal with them each time I visit a store.

I know it's their job to sell the packages to customers, but leave me the fuck alone. I've gotten more rude with them lately. Now I just wave them off before they get a chance to say "have you heard about the promo Best Buy and DirecTV are running? sales pitch.
Old 09-26-12, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
I just went in there and had a frustrating experience. The Dark Knight Returns pt. 1 is out yesterday. Wanted the blu ray copy. Nothing in sight. I ask the guy, who looks it up and said they don't have any. I ask him if they ever got any. He doesn't know. I then ask why is it in the ad if they can't or won't get copies in. WTF. I know this is way above the guy's head, but it's silly that they don't have stock on something that was in their ad.
I almost always have that problem at my best buy where they say something is in stock then I go there and it isn't there. To compound this, there is almost no one around, so I have to go searching for another associate to go look for this stuff.

It can't be that hard to update their inventory system, can it?
Old 09-26-12, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Spectacular. Just got my email confirmation to come pick up the blu ray.

So the idiots at customer service apparently can find the item, but the idiots who actually work in media (spoke to 2 of them) couldn't find it in store and said they had no inventory.
Old 09-26-12, 05:17 PM

However, the thing that is pissing me off lately is the fucking DirecTV reps in there. Every damn time I go in to look at the movie section, I have to deal with these bastards. I have DirecTV and love it, but I get sick and tired of having to deal with them each time I visit a store.
I got one of them a couple days ago- I told him every time they talk to me, I ask them to find even ONE channel that I'd want to pay for, and they can't. What do you "love" about DirecTV? My girlfriend has it and I was impressed that the HBO and Cinemax channels show movies with no bugs, interruptions or breaking into end credits, but all the 2.35 movies were cropped so that's still a fail in my book. I keep telling these sales zombies I might consider if MTV at least went back to playing music. They usually laugh at that.

BTW I was in there for the 3D Blus of Thor and Captain America on sale, but I didn't buy them because they all had price tags stuck to the unsealed slipcovers, and I couldn't remove any of them without leaving some kind of damage. Went to Fry's and got them for the same price there (they care enough to put the price tags on the sealed case UNDER the slipcover), along with a couple other 3D discs
Old 09-26-12, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So the idiots at customer service apparently can find the item, but the idiots who actually work in media (spoke to 2 of them) couldn't find it in store and said they had no inventory.
I thought the Media department peoples were outsourced to some other company?
Old 09-27-12, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This exact scenario played out for the guy next to me while I was at my local Best Buy on Tuesday. DVD copies, empty blu slot.
Old 09-27-12, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

My local BB just re-arranged the media section into categories.. and now the Blu-rays and DVDs are in the same sections side by side.. it makes looking through take much longer.. and is very annoying.. I like it better when there are no categories.. and DVDs and Blu-rays are not together.. I don't mind TV series or sets being separated.. but this is r i d i culous... my store browsing days will be limited by this stupid move..
Old 09-27-12, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by b2net
My local BB just re-arranged the media section into categories.. and now the Blu-rays and DVDs are in the same sections side by side.. it makes looking through take much longer.. and is very annoying.. I like it better when there are no categories.. and DVDs and Blu-rays are not together.. I don't mind TV series or sets being separated.. but this is r i d i culous... my store browsing days will be limited by this stupid move..
Sounding more and more like Circuit City. Now you have to figure out what category they decide a movie goes in and how they choose to alphabetize it. Soon they'll all be spine out to save even more space.
Old 09-27-12, 10:26 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

All the BB's around here have ALWAYS had their DVDs and Blu-Rays divided into categories.

Wow, they really are turning into Circuit City.
Old 09-27-12, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I still enjoy browsing Best Buy and they still are pretty good on BD sales. However, the thing that is pissing me off lately is the fucking DirecTV reps in there. Every damn time I go in to look at the movie section, I have to deal with these bastards. I have DirecTV and love it, but I get sick and tired of having to deal with them each time I visit a store.

I know it's their job to sell the packages to customers, but leave me the fuck alone. I've gotten more rude with them lately. Now I just wave them off before they get a chance to say "have you heard about the promo Best Buy and DirecTV are running? sales pitch.

This is why, even with sales tax in PA, I will still give my business to Amazon. Can't deal with blatant harassment when I'm trying to shop.
Old 09-27-12, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by UAIOE
I thought the Media department peoples were outsourced to some other company?
Thats probably the Anderson reps. If its like Wal-Mart they go in and set the shelves/displays etc. I went there tuesday at about 11:30AM and all the new releases were sitting on a cart. Come on guys, the stores open.
Old 09-27-12, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by b2net
There's a new article somewhere that mentions this being a gradual change for all Best Buy locations.

It's difficult enough finding certain titles with BD and DVD separate. It'll be even more chaos with them combined.

And yes, Anderson sucks when it comes to restocking, especially on a new catalog title. Those are never on shelves when I go in on release day, even by lunch time.
Old 09-27-12, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
Sounding more and more like Circuit City. Now you have to figure out what category they decide a movie goes in and how they choose to alphabetize it. Soon they'll all be spine out to save even more space.
In the store by me 90-95% or more are spine out... It really sucks to browse..
Old 09-27-12, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Timber
This was my movie/music shopping experience whenever I went to Circuit City.

I will never understand how they could have had such a shitty organization system.

If Best Buy is trying to emulate that, I'm never buying a disc from them ever again.
Old 09-28-12, 02:15 AM

I went there tuesday at about 11:30AM and all the new releases were sitting on a cart. Come on guys, the stores open.
A lot of Tower stores did that- it wasn't unusual for some stuff to sit on a cart for more than a DAY, if they bothered to put it out at all! That's one of the main reasons why I think they ended up going out of business (and I worked at their main office too; nobody took my suggestions for the stores seriously.)
Old 09-28-12, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,009 Likes on 835 Posts

Man, I used to love Tower
Old 10-11-12, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
A lot of Tower stores did that- it wasn't unusual for some stuff to sit on a cart for more than a DAY, if they bothered to put it out at all! That's one of the main reasons why I think they ended up going out of business (and I worked at their main office too; nobody took my suggestions for the stores seriously.)
I loved Tower Records, but that was the case at my store also.
Old 10-12-12, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Looks like Best Buy wants to compete with Amazon this Christmas by matching online prices: http://www.bgr.com/2012/10/12/best-b...tching-amazon/

this might get me to shop a little more there than Amazon.
Old 10-12-12, 10:10 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I'll still shop at Amazon. No sales tax, don't need to drive anywhere, and it comes right to my home in 2 days. Now, if they price match plus they knock off $10.00 -- then we'll talk.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.