Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy to cut costs, open and close stores

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Best Buy to cut costs, open and close stores

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-12, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Best Buy to cut costs, open and close stores

Originally Posted by The Cow
Several of the Best Buy stores to be closed are listed at the bottom of this article:

Best Buy Confirms Closure Plans for Remaining 42 U.S. Big Box Stores
The one that's only 2 miles from my house is closing

Overall I've had good experiences with that store. A couple years ago a bigger store right off the highway opened that gets most of the business now but I like going there because I felt like it had better selection, less traffic, and I never had any real issues finding the store exclusives. I had the same issues as others (Direct TV guys, clueless store employees from time to time, in store pick up problems, etc) but overall better than some of the other competing stores in the area (mainly KMart & Wal-Mart)
Old 04-16-12, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
I don't think anyone wants to see BB close and those people to lose jobs. What most want is a better shopping experience that isn't all that difficult for the chain to do.
Actually, like most things, I think people just want to bitch about it on the internet.

I really don't like Gamestop. I have never enjoyed a single experience I've had there. So you know... I stopped going. A couple of months ago I just got tired of their shit, so I'm done.

Meanwhile here, you have a poster that has gone to three separate Best Buy's and comes back to this thread complaining about the same thing. If you're not happy with your shopping experience at Best Buy... why do people keep going?
Old 04-16-12, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
why do people keep going?
Because everybody wants a deal. I didn't want to order my TV set from BB but it was the cheapest around so I ordered it hoping for the best. Didn't work out in my case but if a similar deal came up again I'd probably do it again and "hope for the best".
Old 04-16-12, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Timber
Because everybody wants a deal. I didn't want to order my TV set from BB but it was the cheapest around so I ordered it hoping for the best. Didn't work out in my case but if a similar deal came up again I'd probably do it again and "hope for the best".
Which is fair. But pretty much every store, including Amazon, has a price match policy. If you really hated Best Buy, as some here do, you'd find an alternative.

And the reason BB can keep their prices low is because of the level of employees they hire. Cheap labor keeps the prices low. However, you have to take the good with the bad when it comes to that.
Old 04-16-12, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Which is fair. But pretty much every store, including Amazon, has a price match policy. If you really hated Best Buy, as some here do, you'd find an alternative.

And the reason BB can keep their prices low is because of the level of employees they hire. Cheap labor keeps the prices low. However, you have to take the good with the bad when it comes to that.
Tried to PM Amazon and no go, and they never got around to it.

And I've found that trying to PM at a Target or Walmart is a lot more trouble than it's worth.

And again, I don't "hate" BB, it just used to be a lot better. Hell I had a rewardzone card and everything. Now instead of someplace I look forward to going it's someplace I try to avoid going to.

I just don't by the "to keep prices low" argument. There is this thing called training that costs very little to do. Target draws from the same employment pool and they somehow manage to get their people somewhat trained. On the other end though Walmart seems to pull their people off the street and just throw them on the floor.
Old 04-16-12, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't hate Best Buy, but in my case I still go there on occasion since I still enjoy seeing things before buying. Especially in the case of higher priced electronics, which is tough for me to buy on a whim online.

At the very least, Best Buy is a nice tool to use for shopping given the lack of other electronic stores out there now.
Old 04-16-12, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Brooklyn
You did it to me, and you did it to the poster above, so it's not just "one poster".
Whether you think you're funny, or putting it to someone you feel is a hypocrite, what you're actually coming across as is a condescending, piss poor representative of Best Buy, and one that echoes what most of those who are complaining about the store feel -- poor customer service and bothersome employees.
He did it to me, too, when I posted the link about his CEO getting some stank on his hang low.
Old 04-16-12, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
I'd never give any customer who came to me less than a great experience.
Then you are one of a very, very, VERY tiny minority. Perhaps if more of your fellow employees felt as you do then the store would not be in such a bad way.

Originally Posted by Tarantino
Most people on DVDTalk hate Best Buy...I get that.
That fact that there are similar threads on two other forums that I frequent suggests it has little to do with this forum.
Old 04-16-12, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

That's no excuse for an employee not knowing the products they sell or what's in/or where to find an item in that week's ad. It's called pride and it doesn't cost Best Buy a penny for that. A good manager should be able to instill a little of it in all the employees at no cost to the company.

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Overall I've had good experiences with that store.
On the whole I think I've had generally good experiences there. The negatives are being assaulted by the DirecTV reps and 30 minute customer service lines. Store pick-up is a joke. I can walk in the store, find the item and be back in my car in about 5-8 minutes. Store pick-up triples that, easy.
Old 04-16-12, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
That's no excuse for an employee not knowing the products they sell or what's in/or where to find an item in that week's ad. It's called pride and it doesn't cost Best Buy a penny for that. A good manager should be able to instill a little of it in all the employees at no cost to the company.
I'd say if this were that easy, every single store out there, regardless of the merchandise they sell, would be like that. It's obviously not just a Best Buy problem, so it sounds like there just aren't enough managers and employees that would treat that job they way you wish they would.
Old 04-16-12, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Meanwhile here, you have a poster that has gone to three separate Best Buy's and comes back to this thread complaining about the same thing. If you're not happy with your shopping experience at Best Buy... why do people keep going?
Maybe because there aren't always a lot of other options available?

Where I live, there aren't a lot of choicesfor buying certain things. If I don't want to order something online, then it's either Wal-Mart, Target, or Best Buy. And Wal-Mart and Target don't exactly have the best selection of electronics. Circuit City is gone. Ultimate Electronics is gone. CompUSA is gone.
Old 04-16-12, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He said he went to Frys too. Clearly he had that option open.
Old 04-16-12, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He said he went to Frys too. Clearly he had that option open.
Fry's is a cool store but they are almost always more expensive than any other retailer. They cater more to the niche entertainment enthusiast. The one thing I'll give them props for is their DVD/BD selection. It's unmatched this day and age.
Old 04-16-12, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by mcfly
Fry's is a cool store but they are almost always more expensive than any other retailer. They cater more to the niche entertainment enthusiast. The one thing I'll give them props for is their DVD/BD selection. It's unmatched this day and age.
I feel the opposite, Fry's advertised items to me have always felt cheaper then other stores (except against online retailers these days). The plasma TV I bought 4 years ago was cheaper there then Best Buy by hundreds of dollars, and the home theater system I picked up was actually $60 less then Amazon.
Old 04-16-12, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I feel the opposite, Fry's advertised items to me have always felt cheaper then other stores (except against online retailers these days). The plasma TV I bought 4 years ago was cheaper there then Best Buy by hundreds of dollars, and the home theater system I picked up was actually $60 less then Amazon.
I don't buy many expensive electronics these days (I bought my LCD HDTV from Walmart), but overall I've found them to be overpriced. When I was shopping for a laptop last year I couldn't find anything worthwhile with decent specs in my range there. I ended up finding one I liked, but it was about $200 more than a nearly-identical model with a better processor at Best Buy.

I like walking around and looking around in there, but it's not the first place I'd go to for a big-ticket item.
Old 04-17-12, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, Attack Of The Show revealed the full list of closures, and here's the list at Best Buy's PR site.

Best Buy stores closing

The stores are expected to close by May 12th.

I'm kind of surprised they're closing the newer of two stores in Tustin, as it would seem to be in a better shopping center than the other. One of them was a prime candidate to close as they were closer than any other pair of Best Buy locations in So Cal.

The other location in Tustin I remember well from a near riot I was in the middle of for Black Friday 2007. The shopping center wouldn't allow people to line up at the Best Buy until midnight, which of course led to people just milling around the streets waiting until then to charge toward the doors. After I lost my shoe during the rush, I decided my best course of action was to try a different store. I ended up at Target in the same shopping center as the Best Buy that is now being closed.

Ahhhh memories.

As for Fry's, they are a supermarket for electronics. It's really the only place left if you like building your own computers. They don't have the greatest everyday prices, especially when compared to online stores, but their sale prices can be spectacular. Selection is something that is underrated these days, when you can find anything online, but if you don't want to wait, Fry's probably has it.

I wouldn't say Fry's caters to a niche, they carry everything when it comes to tech.
Old 04-17-12, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheKing
I wouldn't say Fry's caters to a niche, they carry everything when it comes to tech.
Niche may have been the wrong word, but I don't know anybody besides myself and one other friend of mine that go there on a regular basis. Most people are in the Walmart/Target crowd for electronics if Best Buy doesn't cut it for them.
Old 04-17-12, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not surprised by the Newbury St Store in Boston. They have another store a mile away near Fenway and that location used to be a Virgin Mega Store and before that Tower Records, Best Buy was kind of a sorry replacement. I think a Target would probably make a ridiculous amount of money in that spot given all the colleges near by.
Old 04-17-12, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by mcfly
I don't buy many expensive electronics these days (I bought my LCD HDTV from Walmart), but overall I've found them to be overpriced. When I was shopping for a laptop last year I couldn't find anything worthwhile with decent specs in my range there. I ended up finding one I liked, but it was about $200 more than a nearly-identical model with a better processor at Best Buy.

I like walking around and looking around in there, but it's not the first place I'd go to for a big-ticket item.
I don't know, like I said when an item is an advertised sale it's typically cheaper for me, whether it be computer parts like RAM and hard drives, DVD's and Blu-rays, TV's, home audio stuff

Originally Posted by TheKing

I'm kind of surprised they're closing the newer of two stores in Tustin, as it would seem to be in a better shopping center than the other. One of them was a prime candidate to close as they were closer than any other pair of Best Buy locations in So Cal.
I'm not, that shopping center sucks and stores there keep on closing.
Old 04-26-12, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just in the BB store literally a two minute drive from the corporate HQ in Richfield, MN. Looked like the changes were beginning. Especially notable: The former musical instrument department had vanished, hidden beneath a giant sheet of plastic. The coming soon sign said something about a big Magnolia high end shop coming. Much as I enjoy plunking on guitars, musical instruments made no sense for BB.
Old 04-26-12, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

I have 4 within about 15 miles from me. One is closing. The building must be cursed it was an Ultimate Electronics before Best Buy took it over. It sucks to see people out of work but at least here in town options were given for them to relocate to other stores.
Old 04-26-12, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by drmar35mm
I was just in the BB store literally a two minute drive from the corporate HQ in Richfield, MN. Looked like the changes were beginning. Especially notable: The former musical instrument department had vanished, hidden beneath a giant sheet of plastic. The coming soon sign said something about a big Magnolia high end shop coming. Much as I enjoy plunking on guitars, musical instruments made no sense for BB.
The Magnolia shops are at at least one of the locations by me. They've been there for years. I'm surprised one that close to the corporate HQ doesn't have it yet.
Old 04-26-12, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

They sent me a $10 off coupon for anything at Best Buy since a store by me is closing. Doesn't seem to be any restrictions either.
Old 04-28-12, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by drmar35mm
Much as I enjoy plunking on guitars, musical instruments made no sense for BB.
And the fitness/exercise stuff inside a BB does?
Old 05-09-12, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

From another thread, the store closing list:

Originally Posted by JohnIan
This is a link - the list of Best Buy stores closing.... clicky.

Some of the remaining store are to be downsized by 20%. The test stores are in St. Paul, Minnesota; San Antonio, Texas and Minneapolis. They also plan on opening "Connected Stores" where they will only sell mobile phones (and accessories), tablet computers and e-readers.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.